April 9, 201115 yr I assume he pulled him out of middle school to come to UK and that is more traumatic than high school. I don't see him leaving this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if he left in the next 2... I would disagree with that statement.
April 9, 201115 yr You're the only person I've seen call Stevens average. Two FF runs in two years is impressive even if you're at Duke or UK, let alone Butler. :thumb: CCC, I agree and all one has to do is look at Tubby Smith's record and see that he is far above average. If I was a coach I would be thrilled with average if that is the criteria :lol:. Smith is average only in the minds of a small amount of U.K. fans that think they know more basketball than any other person on planet earth. Back to Stevens, I will take his "average" record all day,every day. People have been on to Stevens before the ff's. Stevens coaches and teaches the game as well as any, better than most and his bench coaching, x's and o's take a back seat to no one. There were alot of schools wiith big name coaches that were sitting back and watching Butler and Stevens with no 4 star recruits kick their butt and were putting the equipment up for the season while average Stevens with his so called no big talent team play in consecutive ff's. Yes, I would love to be average.:lol:
April 9, 201115 yr I thought the thread was about Coach Calhoun. :idunno: :laugh: Classic! AL, you win for the best post on this thread. :laugh:
April 9, 201115 yr Let's see ... a mid-major makes it to the national championship game two straight years, without the services of a big-time recruit, and the coach was just along for the ride? You make it sound like Stevens had nothing to do with it. Isn't that how it usually goes? How many titles would Butler have won if they could have replaced that joke Brad Stevens as coach :lol:? He's pathetic and is really dragging that program down. Just wait, next year they will only get to the Elite 8.
April 10, 201115 yr I believe that Stephens is a heckuva coach...however I do believe he would have trouble at a place like UK. UK fans want the best recruits (so they can puff there chest out), they want to win every game (if you don't you are an idiot for not seeing the obvious) and they aren't patient. Stephens is a coach who understands the dynamics of team work and everyone doing there job. I doubt he panicked mid way through this year as he had a vision for his Butler team...unfortunately, this type of recipe doesn't work at UK...if you don't agree go back and read some of the game threads after Arkansas, Mississippi ect...I see some folks in this thread talk Stephens up, yet you go back to those threads and they were bashing this year's UK team after some tough losses. Stephens brought back 2 of his best 3 players and 6 of top players from last year I believe. I just wish Wall was the only player UK had lost off of last years team... who knows what may have happened.
April 10, 201115 yr I believe that Stephens is a heckuva coach...however I do believe he would have trouble at a place like UK. UK fans want the best recruits (so they can puff there chest out), they want to win every game (if you don't you are an idiot for not seeing the obvious) and they aren't patient. Stephens is a coach who understands the dynamics of team work and everyone doing there job. I doubt he panicked mid way through this year as he had a vision for his Butler team...unfortunately, this type of recipe doesn't work at UK...if you don't agree go back and read some of the game threads after Arkansas, Mississippi ect...I see some folks in this thread talk Stephens up, yet you go back to those threads and they were bashing this year's UK team after some tough losses. Stephens brought back 2 of his best 3 players and 6 of top players from last year I believe. I just wish Wall was the only player UK had lost off of last years team... who knows what may have happened. Most UK fans forget the regular season with a great tourney run. That was Tubby's downfall even in his really good years. If Stevens could consistently make UK a threat to win it all, UK fans would be fine IMO. And I don't see how he wouldn't be able to recruit. You put a young coach with a proven resume at a big 5 or 6 school and I bet they make a killing recruiting.
April 10, 201115 yr Most UK fans forget the regular season with a great tourney run. That was Tubby's downfall even in his really good years. If Stevens could consistently make UK a threat to win it all, UK fans would be fine IMO. And I don't see how he wouldn't be able to recruit. You put a young coach with a proven resume at a big 5 or 6 school and I bet they make a killing recruiting. I would be interesting to see what kinds of recruiting philosophy he would have however. He has gotten the job done with no big time recruits...if he took this same approach, how would people react especially if he were to only make it to an elite 8 or sweet 16. Coaching and playing at UK offers so many more pressures than doing so at 98% of the colleges in the country. There are quite a few really good coaches, but there are only a couple of coaches that have the make up to take on the pressures of coaching at UK. The problem is, a Coach needs to have a huge ego to handle the job, and these coaches are generally going to be hot commodities especially for NBA jobs (See CAl and Pitino). I think Stephens is a great coach, probably the best young coach (under 40) in the business. I am not sold however that he would be a good fit at UK.
April 10, 201115 yr I would be interesting to see what kinds of recruiting philosophy he would have however. He has gotten the job done with no big time recruits...if he took this same approach, how would people react especially if he were to only make it to an elite 8 or sweet 16. Coaching and playing at UK offers so many more pressures than doing so at 98% of the colleges in the country. There are quite a few really good coaches, but there are only a couple of coaches that have the make up to take on the pressures of coaching at UK. The problem is, a Coach needs to have a huge ego to handle the job, and these coaches are generally going to be hot commodities especially for NBA jobs (See CAl and Pitino). I think Stephens is a great coach, probably the best young coach (under 40) in the business. I am not sold however that he would be a good fit at UK. Fair enough. :thumb:
April 11, 201115 yr My thoughts on this topic... A) Wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if Cal left this year for the Knicks B) I think Stevens is an excellent coach, but not sure he is ready for all that is UK
April 11, 201115 yr I think if Cal were to leave, he'd at least do it in a year that there was probably going to be basketball.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.