Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boone County 72 Holmes 65

Featured Replies

Every time a particular team has lost this season it has been the refs fault........
Fixed that quote for you.
  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this where you hit that button on your keyboard that says "I never bash the refs but....."

 

Actually it's "I'm not one to blame the officials for a loss but..."

 

Notice I said Boone was the better team last night and that the officials were simply horrible BOTH WAYS. I doubt too many Boone fans will disagree.

Charlie Chappie is my uncle and I demand an apology for the bitter beer face comment. Had to be the refs fault, saw that coming.

 

First off CCIR, I never said it was the refs fault that one team won or lost. I said that Boone was the better team so please don't put words in my mouth.

 

As for as him being your uncle, I apologize if I offended you with my comment.

 

Amazing a man has been a ref since the mid 70's and has to take that abuse on here. Been elected to the state tourney, all a state, and a few years back did the final game of the girls state tourney. Chappie is a great man. So by calling him "bitter beer face" and "Chapman" is pretty low considering this man was doing games in rupp arena long before the person who made the comment was even born. I agree apologize... thats classless.

 

Classless for making a comment that had nothing to do with you? Come on, now.

 

I never said anything about Chappie as a person, other than he missed more than a handful of calls both ways last night and IMO is a horrible Ref. Notice a Boone fan in a few prior posts complaining about Brown getting hammered down low and nothing being called. Looks like I'm not the only one making an obervation about the officiating.

 

As far as the bitterbeerface comment, I seem to remember several other posters using the same exact quote about him in years past. It has nothing to do with him as a person and is more of a joke than anything.

 

I've had conversations with Charlie in years past. Hell, when I was working for a sports marketing firm my sophomore year of college, I even met up with him to have lunch so he could buy one of our promotion packages that we had at the time. So please don't sit here and call me classless for making a comment that had nothing to do with the man as a person or off the court.

 

Players play, coaches coach and fans of the losing team always look for excuses. Chappie is one of the best in my opinion.

 

Again, never once did I say the refs were the reason Holmes lost.

 

Let me reiterate this one more time for those trying to bash me for a simple observation that practically everyone is guilty of making....BOONE WAS THE BETTER TEAM LAST NIGHT. They played more physical in the first half and Holmes didn't make the proper adjustments down low to contain Brown and Crabtree.

 

HOWEVER, the officiating was poor BOTH WAYS throughout and inconsistent BOTH WAYS.

  • Author
Every time a team has lost this season it has been the refs fault........

 

This year only? :lol: Doing an honest self-check of my reaction towards refs, first off I'm not one to scream out at a game, but I do battle with frustration, as I'm sure many do. Quite often I enter a game that I'm watching not knowing for sure who I am rooting for (unless it's my school), and then in short order something kicks in with me to pick a side for the benefit of me having some dog in the race to create a sense of self-excitement (otherwise the game might feel boring or unimportant). Once I'm secure in who I'm rooting for, I undoubtedly immediately begin to see the sins of the opposing team and overlook the sins of the team that I'm following. I remember for the entire game 'bad calls' or 'missed calls' that go against my team, and have a way of quickly forgetting the same type calls that go against the opposing team. If the other team gets a 'no call' for a walk or a foul, I'm like "Are you kidding me... man these refs are terrible?", and hold the grudge for awhile, while if my team gets the same no call treatment, I tend to think, "Wow... got away with one there" (with a quiet chuckle so no one hears me), and promptly forget about it. I guess it's all in the nature of the beast and I'm probably not very different from most fans. I know that it's not easy to be a ref and catch every call, but often wonder how a ref can completely remove themselves from leaning 'towards' or 'from' a team while they're calling. I wouldn't want to be a ref because I don't know that I could ever separate myself. With that in mind, I do feel that refs are not robots, and have felt on numerous occasions a sense that a ref has ruined a game because of their leanings. It's hard to prove, but I guarantee that it has happened. One game that sticks out in my mind was a NewCath/Holmes game @ NewCath about 4 years ago while Austin Hill was still playing and I was rooting for NewCath and was thrilled that they won, but could plainly see where a momentum swing in the game that benefitted the Thoroughbreds was no doubt perpetrated by the officials. Sometimes a few bad calls in a row can kill a team. Those Bulldogs didn't handle the adversity very well and the refs got into their heads. I will say that I am very proud of Booher's Bulldogs because they very much keep playing through adversity and don't let it keep them from their goal. They've been this way all season and it has helped them tremendously. All in all though, 'bad refs' or 'good refs', I'm also guilty of the very sins that I hold them in high responsibility to avoid, and am happy when they commit them when it favors my team. Thankfully, no one will scream at me for my feelings while quietly sitting in the stands, but it sure must be rough for them to endure, and for that I must say that they deserve a world of praise for taking the job. It sure can't be easy, but somebody's gotta do it.

Nice win for Boone. You have to be impressed with how they have handled the loss of arguably their most talented player, Travis Montgomery. Stanley has stepped in at guard and done a great job. It looks like Downs is stepping up on the offensive end shooting it a little more. And Boateng has come off the bench with some nice production the last few games as well. If those guards keep it going, Boone will be a very tough out in the tournament.

Every time a team has lost this season it has been the refs fault........

 

Fixed that quote for you.

 

:lol:

 

Go to the Newcath/Covcath thread. Everyone knows that I have no dog in that fight and I said the refs were pretty bad both ways in that game as well.

 

Don't sit here and act like just because it's a Holmes game my views and opinions are skewed one way or the other. Regardless, officiating in the 9th has been poor this year and I've seen more than just Holmes games.

So you had lunch with a man but dont know his name and say that about him on here... yeah you guys must go way back.

Go to the Newcath/Covcath thread. Everyone knows that I have no dog in that fight and I said the refs were pretty bad both ways in that game as well.

 

Don't sit here and act like just because it's a Holmes game my views and opinions are skewed one way or the other. Regardless, officiating in the 9th has been poor this year and I've seen more than just Holmes games.

 

I wasn't calling you out specifically. I was making a general statement. I see it all the time in other threads too. We must have the worst officials in the country according to us Prep's folks. IMO the ref's are the easiest scape goat.

Parity is a wonderful thing!

 

Yes, it is.

I wasn't calling you out specifically. I was making a general statement. I see it all the time in other threads too. We must have the worst officials in the country according to us Prep's folks. IMO the ref's are the easiest scape goat.
:thumb::thumb:

I listened to the game on 1160 and the announcers said the game was officiated well. The only comment made negatively is when Gray stole the ball late in the game and missed the layup. They thought he might have been fouled. Boone won the game in the 8 minute stretch at the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd quarters. Boone also made 16-17 free throws at one point in the game. Bottom line it sounded like Boone won this by outplaying Holmes. These teams are so even in this region, who knows what is going to happen.Blaming officials is as old as the game itself. Most of us do it at some time or another.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.