Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY POY: One Month to Go

Featured Replies

Smith from Scott should be a consensus top 5 for anybody based on the numbers he has put up this year. He has progressively gotten better over his 4 year career and is now having a great Senior season to remember. Geisler is the clear #1 based on pre-season expectations and how he is played thus far. The rest are fighting for #2 at this point unless something unexpected happens.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geisler and Hatton to me are 1a and 1b...

Hatton is my favorite player to watch in NKY.

 

However, I'd side with Geisler because of the fact that he has to carry that team. Dixie has the best starting 5 in NKY which means Dixie has more weapons to stop. NCC doesn't. Yes, it inflates his stats but it also makes it easier for a team to know which kid to put an emphasis on.

If you watch a Dixie game you will clearly see that almost every team puts a chaser on Hatton. The defender stays right in his face the whole game and does not help off of him at all. If that is not putting sole emphasis on Hatton I don't know what is. There is still a lot of games to be played. Should make for a very exciting final month or so of the season.

So you are saying that Smith doesn't even belong in the conversation at this point? Thats a little 9th Region bias there....averaging 20 ppg, 8 apg and if you are talking about a straw that stirs the drink for their teams??? Has led his team to upset over #1 ranked Dixie and victory over a higher rated Boone County.

 

People are also forgetting about the season that Nate Losey is having for Campbell County. Get the feeling that if Scott and Campbell were in the 9th they would be getting a lot more consideration for POY awards.

 

Your right, I was taking my ninth region players and forgetting about Smith. I do believe that Smith is also a definate contender. My whole point is that there is not that much difference between #1 to #5. I believe all these young men have a shot at POY.

I didn't have time to pull stats for all of them but why is brown ranked below Geisler?

PTS-OFF REB-DEF REB

Brown 362-71-113

Geisler 248-63-113

I didn't have time to pull stats for all of them but why is brown ranked below Geisler?

PTS-OFF REB-DEF REB

Brown 362-71-113

Geisler 248-63-113

 

After further review I now see why.

 

Brown Avg 19.88 pts a game and 10.2 rebs a game

Geisler Avg 19.03 pts a game and 13.5 rebs a game

 

Obviously based on stats alone.

Edited by coach14
Add

I totally disagree with this. What is Geisler doing that Hatton is not? They are neck and neck in scoring, both are the straw that stirs the drink for there teams. They are both shooting a very high percentage, both have scored several games in the 20's and they are on the number 1 and number 2 teams in the region. At this point i do not believe there is that big of a gap between Hatton, Geisler,Thelen and Brown. All of these kids are very well deserving of POY at this point.

 

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

 

Geisler is a great pick and one that I wouldn't argue with, but there are some other worthy candidates as well, including Trevan Brown. Look at what he did against Louisville Eastern. Kid is a player.

1. Jake Geisler-NCC

2. Brandon Hatton-Dixie

3. Jake Thelen-CovCath

4. Brady Hitchew-NCC After seeing him 4 times this month...Im pretty confident he's most underrated.

5. Donnie Cheatum-Lloyd Could not believe how talented he was from the outside.

 

ALL OF THESE GUYS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED

Brown-Boone

Stauffer-Ryle

Smith-Scott

Stansburry-Dixie

Hayes-Holmes

 

Cheatum is a a player but I wouldn't go as far as considering him as a candidate for POY. He gets by a lot on athleticism alone is isn't as fundamentally sound as the other guys mentioned such as Hatton, Brown, Geisler, and Thelen to name a few.

 

I'd take Jaleel Gray, Bobby Stauffer, and Parker Stansberry over Cheatum.

Hatton, Brown and Geisler are all about even. Thelen has fallen off the radar a little due to the Colonels dropping a couple games. Smith from what I hear from folks that have seen him say he is the best pure point guard in the 9th and 10th. If Geisler leads the Breds to a Regional title you give it to him. Hatton, Brown and Thelen can also lead their teams as well to the title. Maybe we wait and see.

This one's easy. Kellen Smith -PG- Scott.

 

From the looks of the Scott crowds, I can tell many of you haven't seen him play. To put Hatton in front of him is silly. Head to head in 2 games this year, they weren't even close. Also in the 2nd game, Smith held Hatton scoreless until 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter and to be fair to Kellen, when Hatton scored his first bucket, Kellen wasn't guarding him. Maybe Hatton will be a better player than Smith but he sure isn't right now. Kellen Smith is the best player in NKY period.

Geisler is POY as of now , If you were asking for best 2 sport athlete I have to say Hightchew hands down !!

This one's easy. Kellen Smith -PG- Scott.

 

From the looks of the Scott crowds, I can tell many of you haven't seen him play. To put Hatton in front of him is silly. Head to head in 2 games this year, they weren't even close. Also in the 2nd game, Smith held Hatton scoreless until 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter and to be fair to Kellen, when Hatton scored his first bucket, Kellen wasn't guarding him. Maybe Hatton will be a better player than Smith but he sure isn't right now. Kellen Smith is the best player in NKY period.

 

I dont think there is anything "silly" as you put it about including Hatton in the same category as Smith. Hatton is a tremendous athlete and deserves to be on the same level with Smith, as well as Thelen, Geisler and Brown. As far as the head to head play , you might want to rewind the first game because Hatton was not contained by Smith , he shot 66% from the floor, was 100% from the free throw and three point line. He also added six rebounds and three steals. As far as the second head to head game, Kellen definately had the better game of the two. This is not because Smith shut Hatton down, Hatton shut himself down. He was 26% from the floor which is less than half of his normal average. I think to have a clear cut decision for POY at this point would be premature. There are five or six boys in NKY that are viable contenders. I think it will all boil down after the regular season ends and all the teams head into their regional competition. I hope continued success for all these young men, they are all exceptional atheletes.

I dont think there is anything "silly" as you put it about including Hatton in the same category as Smith. Hatton is a tremendous athlete and deserves to be on the same level with Smith, as well as Thelen, Geisler and Brown. As far as the head to head play , you might want to rewind the first game because Hatton was not contained by Smith , he shot 66% from the floor, was 100% from the free throw and three point line. He also added six rebounds and three steals. As far as the second head to head game, Kellen definately had the better game of the two. This is not because Smith shut Hatton down, Hatton shut himself down. He was 26% from the floor which is less than half of his normal average. I think to have a clear cut decision for POY at this point would be premature. There are five or six boys in NKY that are viable contenders. I think it will all boil down after the regular season ends and all the teams head into their regional competition. I hope continued success for all these young men, they are all exceptional atheletes.

 

:thumb:

Geisler is POY as of now , If you were asking for best 2 sport athlete I have to say Hightchew hands down !!

 

If you extended the analysis to best 3 sport athlete....I would go with Conley of Cov. Cath. (football, basketball, track/field)

This one's easy. Kellen Smith -PG- Scott.

 

From the looks of the Scott crowds, I can tell many of you haven't seen him play. To put Hatton in front of him is silly. Head to head in 2 games this year, they weren't even close. Also in the 2nd game, Smith held Hatton scoreless until 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter and to be fair to Kellen, when Hatton scored his first bucket, Kellen wasn't guarding him. Maybe Hatton will be a better player than Smith but he sure isn't right now. Kellen Smith is the best player in NKY period.

 

For those that haven't had a chance to see Kellen Smith, tune in Saturday on nkysports.com. We'll be bringing live coverage of the Scott v Holmes game.

 

Really looking forward to the Hayes v Smith match up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.