Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gottlieb says UK's Jones Overrated?

Featured Replies

27 and 17 Hmmm... And the leading Freshman scorer in the Nation. Averaging right at a double double. Yea, He's overrated. :lol:

  • Replies 40
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest negatives I see from Jones would be his choice of shots from deep and the lack of pure post moves. He's a very difficult matchup due to his size, being a lefty and his ability to drive. I've notice one thing, he gets his shot blocked numerous times each game. He needs to watch some Kevin Mchale videos and utilize all of those old school up and under moves.

The biggest negatives I see from Jones would be his choice of shots from deep and the lack of pure post moves. He's a very difficult matchup due to his size, being a lefty and his ability to drive. I've notice one thing, he gets his shot blocked numerous times each game. He needs to watch some Kevin Mchale videos and utilize all of those old school up and under moves.

 

You make a good point about his southpaw-ness. While I would never be accused of being a quality defensive player, once I learned how to reach for blocked shots with my left I became better. Most people naturally go for the block with their right, and Jones is dealing with that now.

You make a good point about his southpaw-ness. While I would never be accused of being a quality defensive player, once I learned how to reach for blocked shots with my left I became better. Most people naturally go for the block with their right, and Jones is dealing with that now.

 

I'm a lefty and I always thought of that to be more of an advantage than not but I guess what you're saying does make sense, I'll have to watch for that more when Jones hits the floor this weekend.

Here's my question: Overrated compared to whom? Compared to LeBron James, yes, he is overrated. Compared to the 5 or 10 top freshmen in the country, no.

 

Also, who is the best left-hander to ever play for UK?....Grevey, Givens, Heshimu Evans (he was good but not in the top 10 probably), Thad Jaracz (on 1966 runner-up & was a lefty, I think). There was one guy whose name escapes me now but Cawood used to say he could shoot out of a test tube because he was so straight up and down, and compact, when he shot. He was a very good mid-range shooter.

I'd like to hear what others think about this.

Here's my question: Overrated compared to whom? Compared to LeBron James, yes, he is overrated. Compared to the 5 or 10 top freshmen in the country, no.

 

Also, who is the best left-hander to ever play for UK?....Grevey, Givens, Heshimu Evans (he was good but not in the top 10 probably), Thad Jaracz (on 1966 runner-up & was a lefty, I think). There was one guy whose name escapes me now but Cawood used to say he could shoot out of a test tube because he was so straight up and down, and compact, when he shot. He was a very good mid-range shooter.

I'd like to hear what others think about this.

Tayshaun Prince would have to be in the discussion.

Tayshaun Prince would have to be in the discussion.

 

Most definitely.

Here's my question: Overrated compared to whom? Compared to LeBron James, yes, he is overrated. Compared to the 5 or 10 top freshmen in the country, no.

 

Also, who is the best left-hander to ever play for UK?....Grevey, Givens, Heshimu Evans (he was good but not in the top 10 probably), Thad Jaracz (on 1966 runner-up & was a lefty, I think). There was one guy whose name escapes me now but Cawood used to say he could shoot out of a test tube because he was so straight up and down, and compact, when he shot. He was a very good mid-range shooter.

I'd like to hear what others think about this.

 

Was Tom Parker left handed? I'll go with Givens though.

Here's my question: Overrated compared to whom? Compared to LeBron James, yes, he is overrated. Compared to the 5 or 10 top freshmen in the country, no.

 

Wha? Its not compared to whom, its compared to the claims/expectations that have been made for him. At this point the loftiest claims I've heard are potential top 5 NBA pick and potential freshman of the year. Its hard to say he's not meeting those expectations at this point, so its hard to say he's overrated.

 

If everyone was claiming he's better than LeBron, then yes, you could so he's overrated, but nobody is saying that.

I think Cal prompted Gottleib to make that comment. Part of being a master motivator.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.