Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 74 Washington 67

Featured Replies

Does he seem like a great game coach to you?

 

He may not be the best that the game has ever seen, but he sure isn't a bad in game coach. Has he lost some games because of his coaching? Yes, but he has one more than lost with his coaching ability. Every coach has cost his team the game in the past. With knight having to sit as much as he did, I think coach Cal's game plan was pretty solid. We didn't win on great shooting by no means.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel guilty after re-watching some of the game. I said several snide remarks about Harrelson in the update thread, but that kid gave it everything he had last night. He isn't the most talented guy in the world but he never quits. Same with Miller. His offense goes missing sometimes but his defense is always there.

This UK team has been fun to watch thus far. I was hoping they'd get to play Michigan State.

 

They are playing better on the defensive end than I expected them to be this early in the season. I thought they'd be a better FT shooting team, and hopefully they will.

 

I'd love to see Hood or Poole step up and add a little depth. Cal deserves a lot of props for his ability to bring a lot of new pieces together successfully year after year...these guys buy in to the team concept and he gets them to play defense. Those are often two pitfalls with talented freshmen. Perhaps it's easier when there's little in the way of upper classmen to compete with.

I feel guilty after re-watching some of the game. I said several snide remarks about Harrelson in the update thread, but that kid gave it everything he had last night. He isn't the most talented guy in the world but he never quits. Same with Miller. His offense goes missing sometimes but his defense is always there.

 

I like Harrelson, always have. He is what he is. Obviously he's not the most talented big man, but he always plays hard. That's about all you can ask. I think the criticism and frustration comes from expecting him to be something he isn't.

 

Knight and Jones are obviously the two who will have to carry the load on the nights when guys like Miller aren't on offensively. The good news is, they're very capable. They can both shoot and attack of the dribble and get fouled.

I'd love to see Hood or Poole step up and add a little depth. Cal deserves a lot of props for his ability to bring a lot of new pieces together successfully year after year...these guys buy in to the team concept and he gets them to play defense. Those are often two pitfalls with talented freshmen. Perhaps it's easier when there's little in the way of upper classmen to compete with.

 

I think it also helps that the 3 upper classmen they have are guys like Liggins, Miller, and Jorts. All 3 guys that leave it all on the floor every single time, and seem to be much more concerned with defense than "getting theirs".

Very nice win for the Cats. It's great to see that this young group of Cats can win against a good team when they don't shoot well.

What a different team with Brandon Knight on the bench. If this teams wants to go anywhere it will be with Knight at the helm. Look at the end of the first half we he was sitting with two fouls. Doron Lamb struggled when he had to handle the PG. Harrellson had a great game, Liggins has progressed so well, and Darius played a solid game.

Does he seem like a great game coach to you?

 

Ok here we go lets roll with it , after last nights game . Yes I think he is a very good game coach , Uk played a very good and physical Washington team who had a chip on their shoulder to boot (over the T Jones issue ). . Knight and Miller in foul trouble all night long Poole played more in the first half than he had all season . And all the haters say no center but I think Harrelson played a very good game also .

 

To all the haters out there this team is going to be a pretty good team this year whether you want to admit it or not . You all say: to young ,no center going to struggle without Kanter ,no game coach and plenty of other good one liners . But bottom line this team is young but very good Basketball IQ that plays the game together , B Knight is an outstanding Scorer and doesn't turn the ball over much , Lamb good shooter and not bad Defensive player , Liggins may be most improved player in America as well as defensive terror with those long arms , Miller may be the team leader on this team and especially these last 2 issues .

 

Harrelson is the HEART of the team; he leaves it on the floor every second he is out there and a Battler and the best part TERRENCE JONES IS GOING TO BE A BEAST if COACH CAL convinces him to go for the juggler (in coaches own words). Scary part is how good would this team had been if Enes wasn't ruled ineligible . I know I for one am going to set back and watch these Young kids play and enjoy this season .

Edited by bugatti

Does he seem like a great game coach to you?

I think it depends upon the team. While Cal has had some good talent these past few years of his career, he built his resume with a lot less talented guys so I do not think he is helpless like some believe. I think a team such as this one suits his coaching talents a lot more than a squad like last seasons. They may not be as good, but these kids fit well in to his system. As with managing any elite athletes, it is not always about X's and O's as it is about motivating and pressing the right buttons. I think that is something we can all agree he does well.

Ok here we go lets roll with it , after last nights game . Yes I think he is a very good game coach , Uk played a very good and physical Washington team who had a chip on their shoulder to boot (over the T Jones issue ). Knight and Miller in foul trouble all night long Poole played more in the first half than he had all season . And all the haters say no center but I think Harrelson played a very good game also .

 

To all the haters out there this team is going to be a pretty good team this year whether you want to admit it or not . You all say: to young ,no center going to struggle without Kanter ,no game coach and plenty of other good one liners . But bottom line this team is young but very good Basketball IQ that plays the game together , B Knight is an outstanding Scorer and doesn't turn the ball over much , Lamb good shooter and not bad Defensive player , Liggins may be most improved player in America as well as defensive terror with those long arms , Miller may be the team leader on this team and especially these last 2 issues .

 

Harrelson is the HEART of the team; he leaves it on the floor every second he is out there and a Battler and the best part TERRENCE JONES IS GOING TO BE A BEAST if COACH CAL convinces him to go for the juggler (in coaches own words). Scary part is how good would this team had been if Enes wasn't ruled ineligible . I know I for one am going to set back and watch these Young kids play and enjoy this season .

 

Hmm...Hard time agreeing with the whole Brandon Knight doesn't turn the ball over thing...8 sure seems like a lot for one game. :idunno:

Edited by bugatti

Ok here we go lets roll with it , after last nights game . Yes I think he is a very good game coach , Uk played a very good and physical Washington team who had a chip on their shoulder to boot (over the T Jones issue ). Knight and Miller in foul trouble all night long Poole played more in the first half than he had all season . And all the haters say no center but I think Harrelson played a very good game also .

 

To all the haters out there this team is going to be a pretty good team this year whether you want to admit it or not . You all say: to young ,no center going to struggle without Kanter ,no game coach and plenty of other good one liners . But bottom line this team is young but very good Basketball IQ that plays the game together , B Knight is an outstanding Scorer and doesn't turn the ball over much , Lamb good shooter and not bad Defensive player , Liggins may be most improved player in America as well as defensive terror with those long arms , Miller may be the team leader on this team and especially these last 2 issues .

 

Harrelson is the HEART of the team; he leaves it on the floor every second he is out there and a Battler and the best part TERRENCE JONES IS GOING TO BE A BEAST if COACH CAL convinces him to go for the juggler (in coaches own words). Scary part is how good would this team had been if Enes wasn't ruled ineligible . I know I for one am going to set back and watch these Young kids play and enjoy this season .

 

I have a good feeling that Kanter will be ruled eligible in a few weeks. If that happens I think UK will be right in the mix with Duke as the best team in the nation. It would be a classic matchup between those two if it comes down to it in the NCAA tourney.

Edited by bugatti

Hmm...Hard time agreeing with the whole Brandon Knight doesn't turn the ball over thing...8 sure seems like a lot for one game. :idunno:

How many had he had in the three games before?

Ok here we go lets roll with it , after last nights game . Yes I think he is a very good game coach , Uk played a very good and physical Washington team who had a chip on their shoulder to boot (over the T Jones issue ). Knight and Miller in foul trouble all night long Poole played more in the first half than he had all season . And all the haters say no center but I think Harrelson played a very good game also .

 

To all the haters out there this team is going to be a pretty good team this year whether you want to admit it or not . You all say: to young ,no center going to struggle without Kanter ,no game coach and plenty of other good one liners . But bottom line this team is young but very good Basketball IQ that plays the game together , B Knight is an outstanding Scorer and doesn't turn the ball over much , Lamb good shooter and not bad Defensive player , Liggins may be most improved player in America as well as defensive terror with those long arms , Miller may be the team leader on this team and especially these last 2 issues .

 

Harrelson is the HEART of the team; he leaves it on the floor every second he is out there and a Battler and the best part TERRENCE JONES IS GOING TO BE A BEAST if COACH CAL convinces him to go for the juggler (in coaches own words). Scary part is how good would this team had been if Enes wasn't ruled ineligible . I know I for one am going to set back and watch these Young kids play and enjoy this season .

 

Well spoken!

UK looked good tonight. If they can get free throws down they will be very tough to beat. Missed free throws is the only thing that kept this game respectable for Washington.

 

I agree..Shooting 50% is not going to cut it..

On the coaching question, I think Coach Cal is a lot like Huggins. A great coach but better as a practice coach and getting the most out of his team than a coach who makes in game adjustments. They both have their system and their top 7-8 players that they coach up in practice and say go do it. Both are just average or a little better at in game coaching.

 

Here are my early season observations on the Cats:

 

1. As someone touched on above, the thing that is vastly underrated about Coach Cal is his teams play great defense. I am already impressed with the defense I am seeing out of this young group.

 

2. Brandon Knight is perhaps the most gifted scorer UK has seen in a long time. When the ball leaves his hand, it is going in. It doesn't matter where he is on the floor, if he is off balance or anything else. He is one of those guys that the ball seems to always find the bottom of the net when he lets it go.

 

3. Terrence Jones is one and done and will be a lottery pick in next year's NBA draft.

 

4. Harrelson is doing a nice job filling a role. If he can keep playing solid defense, get a few rebounds and pick up some garbage baskets here and there like he has been doing, UK can have a very good season. His biggest area for improvement IMO, play strong when taking it to the rim. He takes it to the rim like he is a 6' tall guard instead of a 6' 10" strong big man.

 

5. Vargas has looked completely lost but last night he played very well. I think he is going to get better every game (with an up and down or two) and at the end of the year, we are all going to look back and say he is the player who improved the most throughout the season.

 

6. I think Miller is finally starting to find his game. His bread and butter is the slashing drive to the mid range shot. If he tries to take that first in every game and establish it, it will open up some outside shots for him.

 

7. Liggins has improved more in his career at UK than any player I can recall. Give the credit to Coach Cal. If he keeps playing like this, he will play in the NBA. His size and skill set are what NBA teams look for.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.