Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Any chance the Sweet 16 moves to the Yum Center?

Featured Replies

The contract is up in a couple of years for playing at Rupp.

Any chance the KHSAA makes a move?

As of now the Yum Center is in financial hurt and UL has ownership of dates from November to March...is it possible?

Funny you mention this.

 

I was actually just talking about this with my girlfriend's brother earlier tonight. I think it'd be great if they rotated the two every few years.

Attendance at Freedom Hall really fell off the last couple times the Sweet Sixteen was there in the early '90s. It would seem Louisville would have a much more appealing product to offer the KHSAA now. I would be surprised to see it leave Rupp Arena, but I have no doubt the proposal will come up.

I hope they do give it a chance and once again, the KHSAA will find out that people just don't want to go to Louisville to watch the Sweet 16. Don't get me wrong, the Yum! (don't forget that exclamation point :D) Center is super awesome, but there's just something about Rupp.

The real question might be, what if UK builds a new arena and Rupp is closed. Then what?

Unfortunately I don't think the facilities are the issue in getting good attendance to Louisville. I think you could move Madison Square here and your still going to have the same folks from out in the state shunning a trip to the "big city". Not to mention the UK hard cores that would never set foot in the U of L home-field. Well maybe for a Shania concert !

I hope they do give it a chance and once again, the KHSAA will find out that people just don't want to go to Louisville to watch the Sweet 16. Don't get me wrong, the Yum! (don't forget that exclamation point :D) Center is super awesome, but there's just something about Rupp.

The real question might be, what if UK builds a new arena and Rupp is closed. Then what?

 

Exactly because the preliminary plans I have seen call for Rupp Arena to be transformed into an Arts center for concerts, Broadway plays, etc.

Attendance at Freedom Hall really fell off the last couple times the Sweet Sixteen was there in the early '90s. It would seem Louisville would have a much more appealing product to offer the KHSAA now. I would be surprised to see it leave Rupp Arena, but I have no doubt the proposal will come up.
I'm not sure how much of an impact it had on the attendance, but the 1992 and 1994 Sweet 16s at Freedom Hall, as I recall, were the same weekend as the NCAA's "Sweet 16" weekend.

 

At that time, the boys' and girls' state tournaments were on a rotation basis, and the boys' tournament was last in the years it was at Freedom Hall.

 

I don't know how much of an impact the second week of the NCAAs have on Sweet 16 attendance, but that was when Rick Pitino had Kentucky rolling again ... and the KHSAA cited it as a factor in the decision to play the boys' Sweet 16 on the first week of the NCAAs for the next decade or so, at least.

I love the Sweet 16, and love Rupp, but...

 

 

I would absolutely love to see it rotated between the 2.

It likely will never happen because the KHSAA likes having it in Lexington which is close to their offices and it generates much more revenue when held in Lexington compared to Louisville.

I'm not sure how much of an impact it had on the attendance, but the 1992 and 1994 Sweet 16s at Freedom Hall, as I recall, were the same weekend as the NCAA's "Sweet 16" weekend.

 

At that time, the boys' and girls' state tournaments were on a rotation basis, and the boys' tournament was last in the years it was at Freedom Hall.

 

I don't know how much of an impact the second week of the NCAAs have on Sweet 16 attendance, but that was when Rick Pitino had Kentucky rolling again ... and the KHSAA cited it as a factor in the decision to play the boys' Sweet 16 on the first week of the NCAAs for the next decade or so, at least.

 

Very good point. In 92, the state finals had to compete with the Duke/UK regional final, yeah that game. Plus, LexCath and University Heights were in the finals. Two small, private schools. Perfect storm for poor attendance, and that's what they had.

 

In 94, UK was finished by the first weekend, but I don't know what attendance was like.

I'd like to see it go back to Louisville, and I think the YUM! Center would be a great place. Better seating, better sightlines, better parking, plenty of hotel rooms. I can't think of a good reason not to give this place a shot. It's argueably the nicest arena in the country, why not utilize it?

 

Seems some are suggesting an anti-Louisville sentiment would hurt attendance. I've heard that before, but can't imagine that's the case in 2010. People can't still be that backward can they?

I'd like to see it go back to Louisville, and I think the YUM! Center would be a great place. Better seating, better sightlines, better parking, plenty of hotel rooms. I can't think of a good reason not to give this place a shot. It's argueably the nicest arena in the country, why not utilize it?

 

Seems some are suggesting an anti-Louisville sentiment would hurt attendance. I've heard that before, but can't imagine that's the case in 2010. People can't still be that backward can they?

 

You'd be surprised.

After visiting the YUM Center for the UL/Tennesee Womans Game I can defintely see the state tournament returning in the future. Some things will have to continue to emerge though. One of the best things about the state tourney in rupp for fans is the meeting places and hotels. Fans can hang around the Hyatt bar area, the food court, or the shops. The hotels are connected. The real fans that support the Sweet 16 regardless of whether or not their team is participating like this. On of the biggest complaints of the state tournament in Louisville was there was no real gathering place for fans. The YUM center should help with development of downtown. It is connected to the Gault house and needs to be connected to the hotel across the street. Fans need a place where they can gather before and after games that is connected to the arena. They wouldnt have to worry about walking the streets to get to and from.

It really doesn't matter to me if they move it to the Yum! Center but I do think some of the mystique will be lost(at least for me) if or when it is no longer held at Rupp Arena. Seeing and hearing a high shook basketball player talk of representing his high school on the hallowed floors of Rupp Arena is a movng moment and conversation. No arena will be able to replace those emotions, IMO.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.