Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Programs that are more Bark than Bite?

Featured Replies

Hasn't Male won it since 96?

 

Male did win, I meant to throw them in there but forgot.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could name 40 or more teams that have more bark then bite. Depends on if you are talking state chimpionships, Regional winners, district winners year in year out. Or if it's a team that wins 8 or 9 games each year but doesn't go anywhere. There is a lot of teams if your talking about state champions. I know we have won countless district championships. But no state titles like a Mayfield. Does that make us more bark then bite?

Define "taking to the wire?" Maybe some Bluebird fans can help on this but if memory serves the scores the last 2 years were big in Highlands favor when they pulled their starters. JC scored late in both games with starters vs. reserves to make the scores appear close. I'm with Skilld-Kid on that one. They've been more bark than bite in the final analysis.

 

I said I think I could be wrong. It seems like they ran all over Highlands the past year or two. I might be wrong but I thought they did. I do know they have a legit thing going right now. It really should have been one of the best programs in Eastern KY for a long time. They have everything a school needs. Athletes, money, facilities, more kids than most schools in this area, great 8th grade coach etc. Highlands has been an out for many many programs. That doesn't mean they are more bark than bite though. I don't think JC will beat Highlands anytime soon but I do think they have a great thing going.

Here's a few I can think of and don't get me wrong, I think these are some good programs, but, rarely live up to there hype throughout the year or once playoffs start:

Ashland

Rockcastle Co

Cov Catholic

Dixie Heights

Pikeville

Campbellsville

Henderson Co

PRP

Fern Creek

Western

Middlesboro

OBoro Cath

Manual

Henry Clay

ETown

I said I think I could be wrong. It seems like they ran all over Highlands the past year or two. I might be wrong but I thought they did. I do know they have a legit thing going right now. It really should have been one of the best programs in Eastern KY for a long time. They have everything a school needs. Athletes, money, facilities, more kids than most schools in this area, great 8th grade coach etc. Highlands has been an out for many many programs. That doesn't mean they are more bark than bite though. I don't think JC will beat Highlands anytime soon but I do think they have a great thing going.

 

Where is their money coming from? Please describe their facilities that you speak of.

Define "taking to the wire?" Maybe some Bluebird fans can help on this but if memory serves the scores the last 2 years were big in Highlands favor when they pulled their starters. JC scored late in both games with starters vs. reserves to make the scores appear close. I'm with Skilld-Kid on that one. They've been more bark than bite in the final analysis.

 

2 years ago it was a battle to the end @ JC.

Where is their money coming from? Please describe their facilities that you speak of.

 

JC has very nice facilities. Beautiful field, great stands, and an awesome sound system.

 

In "08 JC gave Highlands a good game. It was the "09 game that the Highlands reserves went in late in the game.

Smiling and nodding.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Here's a few I can think of and don't get me wrong, I think these are some good programs, but, rarely live up to there hype throughout the year or once playoffs start:

Ashland

Rockcastle Co

Cov Catholic

Dixie Heights

Pikeville

Campbellsville

Henderson Co

PRP

Fern Creek

Western

Middlesboro

OBoro Cath

Manual

Henry Clay

ETown

 

When did the above win their last state title?

 

Ashland none from 1998-2009

Rockcastle County none from 1998-2009

CovCath won state title in 2006

Pikeville none from 1998-2009

Dixie none from 1998-2009/ Have they ever won a state football title?

Henderson Co from 1998-2009

PRP none from 1998-2009

Fern Creek none from 1998-2009

Western none from 1998-2009

Middlesboro none from 1998-2009

OBoro Cath none from 1998-2009

 

So I don't think that a team that last won a state title (CovCath) less than four years ago, can or should be included, at least with this group!

Here's a few I can think of and don't get me wrong, I think these are some good programs, but, rarely live up to there hype throughout the year or once playoffs start:

Ashland

Rockcastle Co

Cov Catholic

Dixie Heights

Pikeville

Campbellsville

Henderson Co

PRP

Fern Creek

Western

Middlesboro

OBoro Cath

Manual

Henry Clay

ETown

 

1987, 1988, 1993, 1994, 1997, 2006

When did the above win their last state title?

 

Ashland none from 1998-2009

Rockcastle County none from 1998-2009

CovCath won state title in 2006

Pikeville none from 1998-2009

Dixie none from 1998-2009/ Have they ever won a state football title?

Henderson Co from 1998-2009

PRP none from 1998-2009

Fern Creek none from 1998-2009

Western none from 1998-2009

Middlesboro none from 1998-2009

OBoro Cath none from 1998-2009

 

So I don't think that a team that last won a state title (CovCath) less than four years ago, can or should be included, at least with this group!

 

I was thinking the same thing. Highlands had some downish seasons (i.e. no state championship) after the Jared/Geno years, but that's just the ebb and flow of the high school game. CovCath is in a cycle like that at the moment.

And, no. Dixie has never won a state football title.

Where is their money coming from? Please describe their facilities that you speak of.

 

I don't live there so I don't know where the money comes from but the facilities are top notch. Beautiful turf field. New lockerrooms. Pretty sure they got a top of the line newer weight room. Fireworks after scores etc. I tip my hat they have taken that program from average about 10 years ago to a great atmosphere on Fri nights.

2 years ago it was a battle to the end @ JC.

 

It still ended up a 35-21 loss. I guess my point was that when they've played Highlands, Boyle, or Bell of late (3 recent state champions) - they've lost and most of the time by large numbers.

It still ended up a 35-21 loss. I guess my point was that when they've played Highlands, Boyle, or Bell of late (3 recent state champions) - they've lost and most of the time by large numbers.

 

If you were at that game you would know that it was a battle till the end.

2 years ago it was a battle to the end @ JC.

 

Pretty much, although after Cody Rosenhagen returned the fumble for a TD ( I think it was late in the 3rd) to put the Birds up by 2 TDs, one could tell the tide had turned rather dramatically. JC had to go to the pass, which it didn't do well back then. They got stopped and had to punt on their first possession of the 4th qtr (I think. It's been a while since I watched that tape). When they attempted to punt, it was a high snap and they couldn't get the punt off. Birds took over at around the 20 or so and scored, on a counter by Josh Conner, to go up by 3 TDs and the game was over by the middle of the 4th qtr. JC had one last drive late in the 4th to get it back to a 2 TD margin. But prior to Rosenhagen's fumble return, it was a neck and neck game. If Rosenhagen doesn't pull off his heroics, it was probably going to be neck and neck to the end. Starters for the Birds I believe played the whole game.

 

Last year, the first half was more of the same, with the Birds going into half up by only one TD. A fumble by JC on their first possession and resulting score by the Birds; then a stop of JC and long punt return by the Birds and another score by the Birds, put the game away pretty early in the 3rd qtr. An interception on JC's next possession and another TD by the Birds made it a no doubter before the 3rd was over. Most of Highlands players on the field in the 4th were back ups.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.