Reggie Bush to Have Heisman Trophy Stripped?

Run To State

Reggie Bush, whose NCAA violations while a running back at the University of Southern California were at the root of heavy sanctions against his alma mater, will reportedly have his Heisman Trophy stripped by month's end.

The Heisman Trophy Trust is close to concluding its investigation that has led to the same conclusions as the inquiry by the NCAA,Yahoo! Sports reported on Monday. Bush, now a running back for the New Orleans Saints, would be the first player stripped of college football's most prestigious trophy in the 75-year history of the award.

Bush met with Heisman officials last month in a New York law office, according to Yahoo! Sports. Instead of passing the trophy along to the 2005 runner-up Vince Young, the former University of Texas quarterback who now plays for the Tennessee Titans, the Heisman Trust will likely leave that season vacant, according to the website.

Link

I agree with them leaving that season vacant... Had Bush not been on the ballot, there are no guarantees that the votes he got would have went to Young. Better to just leave it alone, it's not like it'd be as special to Young now anyways.

I do not believe they should strip it. If they do there should be another vote by the Hesman Trophy Trust and reaward the trophy.

Is the Heisman Trophy really given to the best "Football Player" every year anyway?

I am just not big in to vacating wins, final fours, trophies, etc. While Bush did cheat and is an accomplice in all of this, remember it is USC for lack of institutional control serving the penalty from the NCAA, not Bush.

Bush was deemed ineligible, and the Heisman rules say it has to go to an eligible player. If not for that I would agree...

This is stupid. The money had nothing to do with him being the best football player in the country.
As the article states, Bush committed several violations while a member of the Trojans, including receiving gifts, cash and other benefits. He was retroactively ruled ineligible for part of the 2004 season and all of the 2005 -- the year he won the Heisman. It's about more than just money, it's about breaking rules.

As the article states, Bush committed several violations while a member of the Trojans, including receiving gifts, cash and other benefits. He was retroactively ruled ineligible for part of the 2004 season and all of the 2005 -- the year he won the Heisman. It's about more than just money, it's about breaking rules.

So he's supposed to sit himself out? Blame the school and administration and vacate their wins from that season, but let the guy keep the hardware he earned.

So he's supposed to sit himself out? Blame the school and administration and vacate their wins from that season, but let the guy keep the hardware he earned.

Hardware he earned while knowingly breaking the rules that resulted in ineligibility which puts him in the no Heisman position with the Heisman rules...

I hate to see the biggest individual trophy vacated but if he was not eligible, then he shouldn't have played and shouldn't have been able to win the award. Did anyone catch the Real Sports interview with Pete C? He looked like a worm, no doubt he knew what was going on in SoCal.