August 29, 201016 yr Geez. You guys really disappoint me. A guy can't even take his family out for a nice family outing without his fellow Reds fans letting him down. :irked: You bailed on us Big Snack...
August 29, 201016 yr Author I hope you threw up on the Tilt-A-Whirl! Exactly why I don't ride the Tilt A Whirl. That ride is big enough for mommy and twins to ride on together.
August 29, 201016 yr Family first my friend. Well let the family know they cost us a win tonight... :irked:
August 29, 201016 yr Author Well let the family know they cost us a win tonight... :irked: Oh you better believe they're grounded. :lol:
August 29, 201016 yr I don't get bothered by first-pitch swinging, except in situations like Stubbs in the bottom of the 9th. Down one, you need a base-runner, & Stubbs is our quickest man. I think sometimes the situations in which they swing at first pitches are ridiculous. Don't you think the "pick" would say something like "make him throw you a strike here"? It's not like Marmol never walks a batter.
August 29, 201016 yr Nope, that's just your perception and looking for something to complain about. Only one regular is below the leage average in swinging at the first pitch, and the player that does it most is Votto who swings at the first pitch 40% of the time. They have just been winning since the break, so you haven't been able to gripe about it... :thumb: Don't you think situation should dictate your actions once in awhile? When you have a pitcher that is known to walk a batter and a man who can steal a base on any catcher in the league leading off and down 1 run don't you try to make him get you out rather than jump on his first pitch?
August 29, 201016 yr Don't you think the "pick" would say something like "make him throw you a strike here"? It's not like Marmol never walks a batter. When a solo home run ties the game, I have no problem with swinging at the first pitch if it's a pitch to hit. Stubbs got a good pitch and missed it. Simple as that.
August 29, 201016 yr When a solo home run ties the game, I have no problem with swinging at the first pitch if it's a pitch to hit. Stubbs got a good pitch and missed it. Simple as that. You and the "pick" both think alike that's obvious. I'll take the chance of a walk/hit and a stolen base and move the runner over in this situation over the chance of a home run anyday at home down 1 run in the bottom of the 9th.
August 29, 201016 yr You and the "pick" both think alike that's obvious. I'll take the chance of a walk/hit and a stolen base and move the runner over in this situation over the chance of a home run anyday at home down 1 run in the bottom of the 9th. So you'd rather let a batter who is prone to striking out take a pitch right down the middle when he has the ability to hit it 450 feet and tie the game? You'd rather trust Stubbs to either get a base hit/walk, then steal a base, then either ANOTHER hit or two productive outs get him home than give him a chance to tie the game on a pitch right down the middle? Brillant....
August 29, 201016 yr Don't you think situation should dictate your actions once in awhile? When you have a pitcher that is known to walk a batter and a man who can steal a base on any catcher in the league leading off and down 1 run don't you try to make him get you out rather than jump on his first pitch? When the pitch is a straight heater in the zone, not at all. Swinging at a bad first pitch is one thing. Taking a cut at a very drivable one? Take the hack, it might be the only one you see...
August 29, 201016 yr Author I haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet, but I couldn't help but notice the comments on the strike that was called by the third base umpire. I just checked out the box score. This guy is a fill in on Greg Gibson's crew. He is the same guy that mocked Ryan Howard last week when Howard showed his displeasure over one of his check swing calls. Was the call that bad, and how did Votto react? I can't wait to ask Gibson's opinion on how he reacted in the Phillies game last week.
August 29, 201016 yr I haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet, but I couldn't help but notice the comments on the strike that was called by the third base umpire. I just checked out the box score. This guy is a fill in on Greg Gibson's crew. He is the same guy that mocked Ryan Howard last week when Howard showed his displeasure over one of his check swing calls. Was the call that bad, and how did Votto react? I can't wait to ask Gibson's opinion on how he reacted in the Phillies game last week. All of Votto's check swings seem to look like he goes from the regular angle. But from the third base angle it didn't appear to be close at all. Votto didn't seem to be that upset though. But he did get away with not being rung up like 2 pitches before that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.