Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 35 Dixie 28

Featured Replies

To defend Dixie a little, to compare Highlands and Dixie is not fair.

 

Yes Spritsky (sp) did go to Highlands, but c'mon Scott has nice facilities too. I will say Dixie beat Trinity at Trinity in the playoffs a few years back and that is impressive.

 

My statement would be, and this may add fodder for the other side of the argument, that Highlands is in football mode 365 days a year and winning state titles are great and they are fully committed; Dixie is like most other schools where the sport is important, but not life or death. In the big scheme-Dixie may have it in better perspective.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To defend Dixie a little, to compare Highlands and Dixie is not fair.

 

Yes Spritsky (sp) did go to Highlands, but c'mon Scott has nice facilities too. I will say Dixie beat Trinity at Trinity in the playoffs a few years back and that is impressive.

 

My statement would be, and this may add fodder for the other side of the argument, that Highlands is in football mode 365 days a year and winning state titles are great and they are fully committed; Dixie is like most other schools where the sport is important, but not life or death. In the big scheme-Dixie may have it in better perspective.

Just wondering - what makes their way a better perspective?

I guess the life lessons of hard work, perserverance, teamwork, sacrifice, etc. that the HHS football teams put in doesn't give them alot of perspective BG. I guess having been let down so many times by your coaching staff/program gives you a much greater perspective on the important things in life.

Just wondering - what makes their way a better perspective?

 

Good question.

 

While football is important at Highlands (and my educated guess is that it's important at Trinity, X, Beechwood, Boyle and every other school that has had long term, repeated success in football) it's not life or death. Not even close. I have a son fortunate to win state his senior year and a son that did not. Was the latter disappointed when he got beat by CovCath? Sure. One could say devastated for a short while. Then again, I'd hope that every kid that played on a team that felt they had a real shot of winning state was devastated for a while when his team lost. When I spoke to Johnson Central's Bratton last year after the game, it was apparent that he too was devastated at the time with the loss. But it was not life or death. Not for him, not for my son and not for any other Highlands player that wasn't fortunate enough to win state.

 

Perhaps History is done for a while beating the "Highlands avoids strong teams on its schedule" drum and is now moving on to the "Highlands emphasis on football is unhealthy" drum. :D If so, I'm starting to pick up a theme on his posts about Highlands. :eek: I don't know History from Adam and don't know if this is the case, but I have known people that if they couldn't beat someone, they tried to tear their opposition down any way they could.

 

As for Dixie, based on the talent I've seen on their teams over the years, they have been underachievers in my opinion in more years than they have over achieved. I'll leave it to the smarter, more knowledgeable football people on this site to banter back and forth as to why that possibly is the case.

First Dixie's feeder programs, which is a very large area to choose from has always been successful. Second, I guess the media that does projections is wrong is saying that this should be the year for the Colonels for the last several years. I guess I just expect more from them. It seems like I'm not alone.

 

Don't get me wrong here, I think everyone who follows/supports a particular team always has high expectations for their team, but I honestly have not seen the elite talent level at Dixie that you have. You gave me two reasons on why expectations have been high:

 

1. Dixie's feeder programs

2. Media projections

 

I must say that imho, neither one of these are very good reasons. First of all, how many of the elite players from Dixie's feeder system end up at Dixie? I don't know the answer, but it's just a question. Could it be that these elite players chose to play elsewhere once they reach high school? Tell me why you think the feeder program is a good one. Furthermore, I think the worst reason you could give for high expectations is media projections. Games are won or lost on the field of play, not here on BGP or in the newspapers. I think way to much blame is being given to Dixie and not nearly enough credit to NCC. I was at the game on Friday night, and NCC simply wanted it more when it mattered in the second half. Dixie appeared to me that they quit. I also think another factor was the injury to #7 Colin Justice. When he was carted off of the field, I think it took alot of wind out of Dixie's sails, and understandably so. Just keep in mind that your team has a QB that got his first varsity start on Friday night. Be patient, and give him time. This team will be just fine. Just keep your expectations realistic.

I bet you could ask coach mueller about this and he would agree. Highlands has the athletes because they have bought in to the program and live and die football. Every kids growing up wants to do it. Dixie's raw talent is very impressive, just doesnt get put to good use.

 

The jury is still out on this Dixie team.

 

However, it's my opinion that this is a slower Dixie team than usual. Will that have an impact on W/L? Don't know. However, it certainly makes me question your assertion that they're "athletic."

First Dixie's feeder programs, which is a very large area to choose from has always been successful. Second, I guess the media that does projections is wrong is saying that this should be the year for the Colonels for the last several years. I guess I just expect more from them. It seems like I'm not alone.

 

Which media said this is the year for the Colonels?

Which media said this is the year for the Colonels?

I thought I saw Dixie 9th in the coaches poll. I wouldn't say this is their year.

Just wondering - what makes their way a better perspective?

 

Nothing.

To defend Dixie a little, to compare Highlands and Dixie is not fair.

 

Yes Spritsky (sp) did go to Highlands, but c'mon Scott has nice facilities too. I will say Dixie beat Trinity at Trinity in the playoffs a few years back and that is impressive.

 

My statement would be, and this may add fodder for the other side of the argument, that Highlands is in football mode 365 days a year and winning state titles are great and they are fully committed; Dixie is like most other schools where the sport is important, but not life or death. In the big scheme-Dixie may have it in better perspective.

 

Dixie and Highlands are similar sized schools that are less than ten miles apart. How can it not be fair to compare them?

Scott might have nice facilities now, but they've had marginal facilities for 30 years.

I've seen Dixie's better perspective result in absolute meltdowns when they came to Highlands with a gust of hot air up their collective rears, only to be unceremoniously given an early reality check. This was fans and players. I'm not sold on Spritzky as a coach, but the man loses with dignity from what I've seen. Not so much with the students and players.

I will give Dixie credit for their scheduling.....they play the "Big 3" Highlands, Ryle, and SK (not sure if any other team has all 3 on their schedule) along with the usual Boone Co, Conner, CovCath, Newcath, Beechwood etc.

Unlike some teams who avoid good competition.

Dixie and Highlands are similar sized schools that are less than ten miles apart. How can it not be fair to compare them?

Scott might have nice facilities now, but they've had marginal facilities for 30 years.

I've seen Dixie's better perspective result in absolute meltdowns when they came to Highlands with a gust of hot air up their collective rears, only to be unceremoniously given an early reality check. This was fans and players. I'm not sold on Spritzky as a coach, but the man loses with dignity from what I've seen. Not so much with the students and players.

 

Here we go with the Highlands Hijack!

Here we go with the Highlands Hijack!

 

The subject here was comparing Dixie and Highlands. I'd hardly call it a hijack.

Good question.

 

While football is important at Highlands (and my educated guess is that it's important at Trinity, X, Beechwood, Boyle and every other school that has had long term, repeated success in football) it's not life or death. Not even close. I have a son fortunate to win state his senior year and a son that did not. Was the latter disappointed when he got beat by CovCath? Sure. One could say devastated for a short while. Then again, I'd hope that every kid that played on a team that felt they had a real shot of winning state was devastated for a while when his team lost. When I spoke to Johnson Central's Bratton last year after the game, it was apparent that he too was devastated at the time with the loss. But it was not life or death. Not for him, not for my son and not for any other Highlands player that wasn't fortunate enough to win state.

 

Perhaps History is done for a while beating the "Highlands avoids strong teams on its schedule" drum and is now moving on to the "Highlands emphasis on football is unhealthy" drum. :D If so, I'm starting to pick up a theme on his posts about Highlands. :eek: I don't know History from Adam and don't know if this is the case, but I have known people that if they couldn't beat someone, they tried to tear their opposition down any way they could.

 

As for Dixie, based on the talent I've seen on their teams over the years, they have been underachievers in my opinion in more years than they have over achieved. I'll leave it to the smarter, more knowledgeable football people on this site to banter back and forth as to why that possibly is the case.

 

Said much better than I....apparently!!

I will give Dixie credit for their scheduling.....they play the "Big 3" Highlands, Ryle, and SK (not sure if any other team has all 3 on their schedule) along with the usual Boone Co, Conner, CovCath, Newcath, Beechwood etc.

Unlike some teams who avoid good competition.

 

:thumb::thumb: Not avoid good competition, but the best competition.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.