George Steinbrenner dies at age 80

"The Voice of God" and "The Boss" all in the same week. Tough time for the Yanks. Steinbrenner's competitive nature sometimes got him into trouble but he undoubtedly won many championships because of it. I admired his no-nonsense approach.

It is staggering to think that he bought the Yankees for 10 million in 1973 and the current value given by Forbes is just over 1.6 billion dollars which is twice as much as the next MLB team. That is quite an investment. I just read that the initial deal when he bought the team from CBS included 2 parking garages worth 1.2 million that CBS bought back for 1.2 million so the initial investment was 8.8 million!!

Edited by Shutitdown
Corrected info

A very hard man to work for, understatement, but a man who loved his team and family and had a huge heart. Notice when he fired someone he would always help them. I cried when he cried when Yogi came back and they made up. 7 WS out of 12 tries, not bad.

Folks would knock him but if everyone had his passion for people to preform giving their best, nothing wrong with that. Thanks Mr. Steinbrenner.