Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 2010

Featured Replies

What does Highlands need to do to improve in
2010?
What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 292
  • Views 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Faithful are slipping. This thread has been up more than 15 minutes and no one has replied until now! I'll defer to the others, for now, other than to point out that those folks expecting a drop off of any significance due to the graduation of last year's seniors are going to be somewhat surprised. Things may not look exactly the same, but this team won't surprise me at all if they bring back No. 20 this year. They are going to have to beat some very, very good teams to do so, but I think they have the talent to do so.

 

And to answer Ram's specific question: it would be pretty tough for any team to improve on what Highlands did last year. But one area of improvement needed is to avoid the fumbles. Those didn't hurt us too badly last year, but in close games they can be deadly.

I know they are going to be very good at the skill positions once again but I would think the concern for the bird faithful would be the O-line this season. They have only 1 returning starter and no one else with any varsity experience from what I hear. They have a great O-line coach but if this team has a weakness It would have to be in the lack of depth at O-line IMO

Two big (and possibly related) questions are:

 

1. Will Highlands continue the state's longest current winning streak, which goes back to the second week of the 2008 season?

 

2. Will Highlands continue its streak of wins against NKY opponents, which goes back to the 2006 playoffs?

 

Cincinnati St. X has been replaced by Louisville Eastern on the 2010 schedule, so I'd say there is a strong possibility the 'Birds could go 10-0 in the regular season. However, by most accounts Ryle will be very, very good this year, and the 'Birds play them twice. Could Ryle end HHS' run of NKY dominance? We'll see!

 

Go 'Birds!

20n10

I know they are going to be very good at the skill positions once again but I would think the concern for the bird faithful would be the O-line this season. They have only 1 returning starter and no one else with any varsity experience from what I hear. They have a great O-line coach but if this team has a weakness It would have to be in the lack of depth at O-line IMO

 

Didn't they have this same concern when this past class entered their junior year? I seem to remember a lot of hand wringing after a game or two that year.

Didn't they have this same concern when this past class entered their junior year? I seem to remember a lot of hand wringing after a game or two that year.

 

07. 1 returning starter. 15-0 State Champs

08. 1 returning starter. 14-1 State Champs.

Probably not a huge concern.

I know they are going to be very good at the skill positions once again but I would think the concern for the bird faithful would be the O-line this season. They have only 1 returning starter and no one else with any varsity experience from what I hear. They have a great O-line coach but if this team has a weakness It would have to be in the lack of depth at O-line IMO

Actually, I think they have two returning offenvie linemen returning (Meyer and Hahn). I am curious where Devin Bruns will play.

Actually, I think they have two returning offenvie linemen returning (Meyer and Hahn). I am curious where Devin Bruns will play.

 

I had heard Meyer quit the team. Someone more in the know may correct me.

I had heard Meyer quit the team. Someone more in the know may correct me.

 

You are correct. He quit sometime between spring football and the end of school.

You are correct. He quit sometime between spring football and the end of school.

 

Hopefully it's to focus on academics or another sport. I hate to see kids not play their Senior season. Over the years I can not think of many who have not regretted the decision.

 

I wish good luck to the young man.

I know they are going to be very good at the skill positions once again but I would think the concern for the bird faithful would be the O-line this season. They have only 1 returning starter and no one else with any varsity experience from what I hear. They have a great O-line coach but if this team has a weakness It would have to be in the lack of depth at O-line IMO

 

Coach Turner has worked some real magic with some of the O-lines he has put together, and I think all those close to the program have the faith that he can do it again. One thing that is looking to be a real positive is the two platoon system Highlands has in place. In the past, with many players going both ways, or at least preparing to go both ways, time was divided among O and D for each of those players. This year, the O-Line has worked on nothing but their primary positions. In talking with Coach T, he believes this is improving line play dramatically with all the reps they are getting.

 

Secondly, I think the offensive game plan will be built around the total package of the offensive starters. Last year's play calling reflected the kind of team they had (line, receivers and backs) as a unit, and this year's play calling will likely be molded to fit. I don't know if that means the Jet Sweep is back, but that may be more suited to the personnel this year than it was last year. We'll see.

Coach Turner has worked some real magic with some of the O-lines he has put together, and I think all those close to the program have the faith that he can do it again. One thing that is looking to be a real positive is the two platoon system Highlands has in place. In the past, with many players going both ways, or at least preparing to go both ways, time was divided among O and D for each of those players. This year, the O-Line has worked on nothing but their primary positions. In talking with Coach T, he believes this is improving line play dramatically with all the reps they are getting.

 

Secondly, I think the offensive game plan will be built around the total package of the offensive starters. Last year's play calling reflected the kind of team they had (line, receivers and backs) as a unit, and this year's play calling will likely be molded to fit. I don't know if that means the Jet Sweep is back, but that may be more suited to the personnel this year than it was last year. We'll see.

 

I was not a fan of the Jet Sweep, it involved too much running.

Coach Turner has worked some real magic with some of the O-lines he has put together, and I think all those close to the program have the faith that he can do it again. One thing that is looking to be a real positive is the two platoon system Highlands has in place. In the past, with many players going both ways, or at least preparing to go both ways, time was divided among O and D for each of those players. This year, the O-Line has worked on nothing but their primary positions. In talking with Coach T, he believes this is improving line play dramatically with all the reps they are getting.

 

Secondly, I think the offensive game plan will be built around the total package of the offensive starters. Last year's play calling reflected the kind of team they had (line, receivers and backs) as a unit, and this year's play calling will likely be molded to fit. I don't know if that means the Jet Sweep is back, but that may be more suited to the personnel this year than it was last year. We'll see.

 

I think you are spot on. Dale has always changed the O to fit the players. What we did last year may be completely different from what we do this year.

 

I'm regretting the fact that it won't be too long before you change the picture in the avatar. But all good things must come to an end and a new thing started. :thumb:

Cincinnati St. X has been replaced by Louisville Eastern on the 2010 schedule, so I'd say there is a strong possibility the 'Birds could go 10-0 in the regular season. However, by most accounts Ryle will be very, very good this year, and the 'Birds play them twice. Could Ryle end HHS' run of NKY dominance? We'll see!

 

Both games last year were extremely hard-hitting affairs, and I can't wait for this year's versions. If Highlands comes into the second game having won the last 3 (including the 2 from last year) we could really see some sparks fly! :thumb:

Birds need to formulate cohesiveness on the offensive line so they can give Patrick time to deal back there. I am a little surprised that they are not working Drake Bruns on the offensive side of the ball though, here is the best athlete in the school and he is only playing one side of the ball. The Birds always have superior athletes with limited varsity snaps step up and I dont see that changing anytime soon. Brenden Sullivan is one mean son of a gun and he is absolutely huge. I have no clue what kind of workout program that kid is on but I saw him walking down the street the other day with a tank top on and he was rocked up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.