Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who should be hung in the rafters?

Who should be hung in the rafters? 212 members have voted

  1. 1. Who should be hung in the rafters?

    • Rex Champman
      9%
    • Tayshaun Prince
      14%
    • Tony Delk
      17%
    • Ron Mercer
      3%
    • Chuck Hayes
      9%
    • Patrick Patterson
      10%
    • John Wall
      1%
    • Demarcus Cousins
      1%
    • Tubby
      13%
    • Coach Cal
      1%
    • Jeff Shepard
      7%
    • Derek Anderson
      1%
    • Melvin Turpin
      3%
    • Keith Bogans
      2%
    • Dirk Minnifield
      2%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I voted for Delk, Chapman, Mercer, Wall, Tubby and Turpin. I was one of the votes for Wall because he was not only this year's signature recruit but he delivered on the hype, tremendous character, he played a very significant role in getting UK back in the national discussion, he won multiple games for the team as a freshman and he even set the new assist record for freshman in a single season. He also managed to make me root for UK more than once this year which makes him the greatest Wildcat ever in my eyes.:D. I don't think it should count against him or Rex that they were talented enough to leave school early.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I voted for Delk, Chapman, Mercer, Wall, Tubby and Turpin. I was one of the votes for Wall because he was not only this year's signature recruit but he delivered on the hype, tremendous character, he played a very significant role in getting UK back in the national discussion, he won multiple games for the team as a freshman and he even set the new assist record for freshman in a single season. He also managed to make me root for UK more than once this year which makes him the greatest Wildcat ever in my eyes.:D. I don't think it should count against him or Rex that they were talented enough to leave school early.

 

I understand your point on Chapman, and like I said he is my favorite all time player. I have his jersey hanging on my wall. :lol:

 

As far as hanging from Rupp...I just couldn't vote for it. I don't know what "set of rules" or criteria I would set. I guess it was like the person that said he doesn't know how to define porn, but I know it when I see it...that is the way I feel about retiring jerseys. I'll stand by Delk and Tubby for now.

What if they left school early but graduated (Patterson) or came back and earned their degree?

That would be ok.

My vote would be for Tubby, Jeff Sheppard, and Tony Delk.

My vote would be for Tubby, Jeff Sheppard, and Tony Delk.

 

:thumb: I could agree with those three. Shep was final 4 MVP on '98 title team and a 5 year guy, Tubby coached the '98 title team, and Delk was Delk. Outside of that, I am not sure. Maybe Patterson.

I went Chapman, Tayshaun, Delk, Mercer, Patterson, Jeff Shepherd & Tubby. Tubby won a championship and had a nice run at UK, Delk is self-explanitory, Chapman should be up there. Tayshaun was maybe the best player at UK that I have watched in my lifetime outside of Mashburn (better than Delk IMO), and given the others in the rafters I think Mercer and Patterson have done enough.

 

Couldn't vote for Cal yet, but I think he'll get up there. Wall & Cousins would be an easy choice for me if they played only one more year. I don't care about tradition and all that when it comes to them, they are two of the most talented players in UK history and set all kinds of frosh records at UK this year.

I went Chapman, Tayshaun, Delk, Mercer, Patterson, Jeff Shepherd & Tubby. Tubby won a championship and had a nice run at UK, Delk is self-explanitory, Chapman should be up there. Tayshaun was maybe the best player at UK that I have watched in my lifetime outside of Mashburn (better than Delk IMO), and given the others in the rafters I think Mercer and Patterson have done enough.

 

Couldn't vote for Cal yet, but I think he'll get up there. Wall & Cousins would be an easy choice for me if they played only one more year. I don't care about tradition and all that when it comes to them, they are two of the most talented players in UK history and set all kinds of frosh records at UK this year.

 

So because they are 2 of the most talented freshmen to ever play at UK, they both set record as freshmen at UK and they both will likely be top 5 picks in the draft after 1 year of college basketball, they shouldn't be in the rafters? They had better freshman years than most of the guys who are hanging in the rafters, right? :idunno: They were the main reason UK went from an NIT team to an Elite 8 team, but yet they can't hang from the rafters. So unfair. Serious question......What guys hanging in the rafters had better freshman seasons than those two? I really don't know the answer. I am curious to know though.

 

I think if you vote PPat in the rafters that Wall and Cousins should receive your vote as well. He hadn't played in an NCAA tourney game until those two arrived on campus. IMO, it's kind of hard to justify legend status when you needed a new coach and two top 5 draft picks to get you into your first NCAA tourney game after 3 years.

 

If UK had won it all this year or even made the Final Four would that change anyone's opinions on whether Wall and Cousins get rafter status?

:thumb: I could agree with those three. Shep was final 4 MVP on '98 title team and a 5 year guy, Tubby coached the '98 title team, and Delk was Delk. Outside of that, I am not sure. Maybe Patterson.

 

Just for comparison, here are Sheperd's numbers:

 

1091 points in 139 games (7.8 pts per game)

 

320 rebounds (2.3 per game)

 

288 assists (2 per game)

 

All SEC 1998 (third team), All Regional & All Final Four teams

 

 

Not a lot there to hang a rafter banner on IMO.

 

Compare with say Jimmy Dan Conner:

 

1009 points in 85 games (Almost 12 pts. per game)

 

344 rebounds (4 per game)

 

264 assists (3.1 per game)

 

All SEC 1973 (Third team)

All SEC 1975 (Third team) All Regional & went to the Final Four in '75

 

Shepherd and Conner are very, very similar with better team performance on Shepherd's teams.

 

Which leads me to compare Shep to Epps:

 

881 points in 141 games (Not even close to Shep here but Epps was PG)

 

544 assists for an average of 3.8 per game

 

329 rebounds for an average of 2.3 per game

 

All SEC 1997 (third team)

 

Led UK to 1 National Title in '96 and title game in '97

 

 

Just don't see if for Shep except he had a "One Shining Moment" event in '98. :thumb:

So because they are 2 of the most talented freshmen to ever play at UK, they both set record as freshmen at UK and they both will likely be top 5 picks in the draft after 1 year of college basketball, they shouldn't be in the rafters? They had better freshman years than most of the guys who are hanging in the rafters, right? :idunno: They were the main reason UK went from an NIT team to an Elite 8 team, but yet they can't hang from the rafters. So unfair. Serious question......What guys hanging in the rafters had better freshman seasons than those two? I really don't know the answer. I am curious to know though.

 

I think if you vote PPat in the rafters that Wall and Cousins should receive your vote as well. He hadn't played in an NCAA tourney game until those two arrived on campus. IMO, it's kind of hard to justify legend status when you needed a new coach and two top 5 draft picks to get you into your first NCAA tourney game after 3 years.

 

If UK had won it all this year or even made the Final Four would that change anyone's opinions on whether Wall and Cousins get rafter status?

 

I think we are saying the same thing. I wouldn't argue for or against them to get their jerseys retired right now. If they played another year, I think they would just about have to go up there.

I think we are saying the same thing. I wouldn't argue for or against them to get their jerseys retired right now. If they played another year, I think they would just about have to go up there.

 

No. I think they should go up for what they did this year whether they come back or not. Plus I feel like giving you a hard time. Got to practice for the real thing in 2 weeks.:D

Just for comparison, here are Sheperd's numbers:

 

1091 points in 139 games (7.8 pts per game)

 

320 rebounds (2.3 per game)

 

288 assists (2 per game)

 

All SEC 1998 (third team), All Regional & All Final Four teams

 

 

Not a lot there to hang a rafter banner on IMO.

 

Compare with say Jimmy Dan Conner:

 

1009 points in 85 games (Almost 12 pts. per game)

 

344 rebounds (4 per game)

 

264 assists (3.1 per game)

 

All SEC 1973 (Third team)

All SEC 1975 (Third team) All Regional & went to the Final Four in '75

 

Shepherd and Conner are very, very similar with better team performance on Shepherd's teams.

 

Which leads me to compare Shep to Epps:

 

881 points in 141 games (Not even close to Shep here but Epps was PG)

 

544 assists for an average of 3.8 per game

 

329 rebounds for an average of 2.3 per game

 

All SEC 1997 (third team)

 

Led UK to 1 National Title in '96 and title game in '97

 

 

Just don't see if for Shep except he had a "One Shining Moment" event in '98. :thumb:

 

Agree with the comparisons. Shep was a bench player on two of the greatest teams in Kentucky history. One could say he waited for his opportunity and made the best of it. He got my vote for all that but the main reason is because of the way he still represents Kentucky.

I voted for P.Pat, Tony Delk, Tubby, and Tayshaun; I didn't vote for any of the older players because I was not able to watch them enough to make an intelligent argument in favor of hanging their jerseys up. After reading PP's and CCC's posts, I agree with them that Wall and Cousins' jerseys should be up for consideration. I would retire them if I were in charge of such things because of how instrumental they have been in bringing Kentucky "back" in such a little time. They will always be remembered by me as the players that ushered in the new-and hopefully successful-era of Kentucky Basketball, and should be remembered accordingly IMO.

  • Author
I voted for P.Pat, Tony Delk, Tubby, and Tayshaun; I didn't vote for any of the older players because I was not able to watch them enough to make an intelligent argument in favor of hanging their jerseys up. After reading PP's and CCC's posts, I agree with them that Wall and Cousins' jerseys should be up for consideration. I would retire them if I were in charge of such things because of how instrumental they have been in bringing Kentucky "back" in such a little time. They will always be remembered by me as the players that ushered in the new-and hopefully successful-era of Kentucky Basketball, and should be remembered accordingly IMO.

 

What if Cal flops on signings this spring and KY limps into the NCAA tournament? Does that change our view of a successful-era that Wall/Cousins escorted into?

What if Cal flops on signings this spring and KY limps into the NCAA tournament? Does that change our view of a successful-era that Wall/Cousins escorted into?

 

It most definitely does, that's why I typed "hopefully successful". If Kentucky Basketball never has another run like this year's under Cal, then you have to take that under consideration-but I don't think that will happen, so I'm all for hanging their jerseys up.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.