Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitino to St. John's?

Featured Replies

Yet another Pitino rumor. I admit I don't understand this one at all.

 

 

Brandon Bender, former Louisville player, wrote on his Facebook page that Rick Pitino could be headed to St Johns, a position that Dick Vitale trumpeted on ESPN last night. The latter comment especially signals to me that there is some smoke to this fire and Rick might leave his Louisville trouble to head back to his home in the Northeast.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/

  • Replies 71
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see no reason as to why Pitino couldn't/wouldn't do well at St.Johns. I know it's a private school but I don't think their academic requirements are that high in comparison to other privates, though I could be wrong. I don't really care if he goes or not, but I don't think it would be a terrible move for him.

Dick Vitale was saying this as soon as the game was over last night. Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't see it happening. He's too old for another project like the Johnnies IMO.

 

I could see him wanting to retire at "home" though.

I've thought for years that St. John's needed a Pitino/Calipari type coach. New York City needs a slick salesman and that's what they would bring them. It seems like St. John's has constantly went for the lesser name since Lou Carnasecca left. You need a personality to win over the New York City crowd and kids. Pitino might could do that.

I've thought for years that St. John's needed a Pitino/Calipari type coach. New York City needs a slick salesman and that's what they would bring them. It seems like St. John's has constantly went for the lesser name since Lou Carnasecca left. You need a personality to win over the New York City crowd and kids. Pitino might could do that.

 

Wonder if Billy D would have any interest. He would fit there too.

Wonder if Billy D would have any interest. He would fit there too.

 

I doubt it but he along with Pitino would be a nice fit there.

Would St. Johns really allow a scumbag like Pitino coach there?

I wouldn't be suprised if he left.

 

But I just can't believe he would leave now.

 

1. He has brought Willard in to ride off in the sunset with.

 

2. I can't see him leaving after having a IMO a down season.

I see no reason as to why Pitino couldn't/wouldn't do well at St.Johns. I know it's a private school but I don't think their academic requirements are that high in comparison to other privates, though I could be wrong. I don't really care if he goes or not, but I don't think it would be a terrible move for him.

 

This is one issue at St. John's. The standards are pretty tough, though they have been known to make some exceptions for basketball.

 

Another issue is that St. John's is a commuter school; there are no dorms. It is hard to sell that to an out-of-state kid. Even if you do, it becomes difficult to police your team in this situation, especially in NYC.

 

St. John's would do well with Pitino because he would keep the best recruits in state. The next coach must be able to do that. Pitt, Villanova, West Virginia and UConn have had a field day with NYC recruits; if the next coach can keep the best talent from the city at home then he will compete every year in the Big East and have a nationally successful program. JMO.

Dick Vitale was saying this as soon as the game was over last night. Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't see it happening. He's too old for another project like the Johnnies IMO.

 

I could see him wanting to retire at "home" though.

 

Experts have been saying St. Johns could be decent next year and challenge for a tourney bid. Pitino has always tried to recruit the New York/Northeast area. I could see him turning the tide.

Another issue is that St. John's is a commuter school; there are no dorms. It is hard to sell that to an out-of-state kid. Even if you do, it becomes difficult to police your team in this situation, especially in NYC.

 

That's actually an incorrect statement. Part of the problem at St. John's now is that they do have dorms. Now they can't pay players a stipend for rent money. Here is a link from an article I posted on another thread.

 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/11/19/stjohns/

Experts have been saying St. Johns could be decent next year and challenge for a tourney bid. Pitino has always tried to recruit the New York/Northeast area. I could see him turning the tide.

 

They have a very talented JR class that SHOULD be in the tournament next year. The issue is having to do a big time rebuild in year 2...

If Joanne (sp.?) wants to go...thanks for the memories...RP!

Hard to walk away from going into that new building!

Let's face it, UL is not where RP thought they would be. "We need more talent!" a.k.a....New York City has alot of talent!!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.