Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Billy Donovan

Featured Replies

  • Author
I doubt he has a lot of regrets. By all accounts his family loves living in Florida, he's got a great relationship with Florida's AD so it would take a lot for his seat to get even remotely warm. He's very well paid so I'm sure money isn't an issue for him. I think he just really likes it there--and that was reflected in his decision to leave the Magic job after accepting it.

 

Perhaps I worded it wrong.

 

I don't believe he is upset with the state. I'm sure he enjoys the money and the area and the protection he essentially has from UF.

 

That said, I'm sure it is discerning that even after two titles that basketball isn't a biggest subject; that Kentucky, a job he could have had, has almost all of the media's attention; that Orlando went to the NBA Finals with some great talent just a year or so after he could have had that job.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a class act, I had the opportunity to spend 10 to 15 minutes chatting with him a couple of weeks ago. I don't know for a fact, but he seemed to be a very happy pleasant guy, so I doubt he regrets much.

Just for the heck of it, who would be your first choice if Cal left for whatever reason?

Just for the heck of it, who would be your first choice if Cal left for whatever reason?

 

Donnie Tyndall :ylsuper:

  • Author
Just for the heck of it, who would be your first choice if Cal left for whatever reason?

 

That's a tough one. Thad Matta is doing well this season; Tom Izzo is always in the conversation. I like Jay Wright as well.

Just for the heck of it, who would be your first choice if Cal left for whatever reason?

 

Travis Ford.

Travis Ford.

 

:scared::scared:

:scared::scared:

 

Why not? He has done a great job at every school he has been at, and is already doing a pretty good job with Oklahoma St. By the time Cal leaves, I think Ford would be the perfect guy for UK.

Just for the heck of it, who would be your first choice if Cal left for whatever reason?

 

Give me Josh Pastner and keep the Memphis pipeline going. I think the dude has done a heck of a job this season (they were seriously majorly depleted obviously). He's worked his way up very quick, Cal thought extremely high of him, he's a great recruiter and is a young guy. I don't plan on Cal leaving for a few years so my boy JP will be plenty proven by there IMO.

 

If it were now:

1. Jay Wright

2. Jamie Dixon

3. Thad Matta

4. Tom Crean (if IU ever runs him off...which they shouldn't)

5. Frank Martin or Bruce Pearl (I don't know if he'd want to leave though)

 

I do not ever want, under any circumstances:

-Billy D (he's had two chances..no thanks)

-Travis Ford (no thanks, he's not a bad coach he's just not UK material)

-Pelphrey (any explanation needed?)

-Rick Barnes

 

The 1st 3 I would boycott, & with Rick Barnes statements this last week he's not UK material (only worried about getting guys to the NBA not winning a title). I know many won't agree with this list but it's just my personal opinion.

Why not? He has done a great job at every school he has been at, and is already doing a pretty good job with Oklahoma St. By the time Cal leaves, I think Ford would be the perfect guy for UK.

 

Heard and seen way too much from him to want him at UK.

Donovan's stock may have dropped a little, but it couldn't have gone much higher than it was after 2007.

 

For fun, where do you think Donovan ranks all time among SEC coaches in wins?

 

Top 5

Top 10

Top 15

Top 20

Darrin Horn would be in my consideration, I have really liked this guy since he was at WKU.

Donovan's stock may have dropped a little, but it couldn't have gone much higher than it was after 2007.

 

For fun, where do you think Donovan ranks all time among SEC coaches in wins?

 

Top 5

Top 10

Top 15

Top 20

 

Just for fun without looking it up, I am gonna say Top 15.

Just for the heck of it, who would be your first choice if Cal left for whatever reason?

 

 

Billy Hicks... good coach, plus he could probably out recruit Cal. :sssh:

Perhaps I worded it wrong.

 

I don't believe he is upset with the state. I'm sure he enjoys the money and the area and the protection he essentially has from UF.

 

That said, I'm sure it is discerning that even after two titles that basketball isn't a biggest subject; that Kentucky, a job he could have had, has almost all of the media's attention; that Orlando went to the NBA Finals with some great talent just a year or so after he could have had that job.

 

I honestly doubt he has any regrets. He was at the summit of the college basketball world with back-to-back champs for the first time in 15 years. I really think he's just happy where he is.....Look, UK is one of THE jobs in college basketball.....I just really don't think that Billy D cares. If he did he'd have given the Magic a shot and took the money. I think he really likes it in Gainesville, his family is happy and he's satisfied. I know it would break a lot of Big Blue Bubbles to think that someone doesn't want to coach at UK but I don't think he does. Honestly, and I'm as big a UK fan as you'll find, (I just don't think they should win every game or I don't pretend to have all the inside information just so I can post it 30 seconds before its confirmed) the Magic job at the time was a MUCH better job than the UK job. If he turned that down....then he just likes UF.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.