Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Billy Donovan

Featured Replies

Just for fun without looking it up, I am gonna say Top 15.
I was shocked to find out Donovan had coached 14 years at UF and he's actually 5th in coaching wins at SEC schools with 330. The top 5 is Rupp (UK), Dale Brown (LSU), Harry Rabenhorst (LSU), C.M. Newton (Bama/Vandy) and Donovan (UF)
  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was shocked to find out Donovan had coached 14 years at UF and he's actually 5th in coaching wins at SEC schools with 330. The top 5 is Rupp (UK), Dale Brown (LSU), Harry Rabenhorst (LSU), C.M. Newton (Bama/Vandy) and Donovan (UF)

 

 

 

Surprised no Hugh Durham in that group.........

I doubt he has a lot of regrets. By all accounts his family loves living in Florida, he's got a great relationship with Florida's AD so it would take a lot for his seat to get even remotely warm. He's very well paid so I'm sure money isn't an issue for him. I think he just really likes it there--and that was reflected in his decision to leave the Magic job after accepting it.
Plus remember where Florida was before he got there. He is paid well, has sunshine all year and does not have the presure to win because it is a FOOTBALL school! :D
Surprised no Hugh Durham in that group.........

 

 

He finished with 297 wins at Georgia.

Surprised no Hugh Durham in that group.........

 

I'm assuming these are wins while at an SEC school.

 

Hugh spent the most productive years of his career at Florida State. (IMO)

 

If it were overall wins I would be most surprised that Norm Sloan wasn't on there (NC State and twice at Florida). Or Nolan Richardson (Tulsa & Arkansas).

Plus remember where Florida was before he got there. He is paid well, has sunshine all year and does not have the presure to win because it is a FOOTBALL school! :D

 

Yes and no.

 

Florida went to the Final Four in '94, long before Billy D was coach. They also did well in the late 80's as well. Donovan just took them to a higher level.

Hatz, I assume the same thing, wins while coaching SEC schools.

 

I got the information from the last line of this Tipton article.

I'm assuming these are wins while at an SEC school.

 

Hugh spent the most productive years of his career at Florida State. (IMO)

 

If it were overall wins I would be most surprised that Norm Sloan wasn't on there (NC State and twice at Florida). Or Nolan Richardson (Tulsa & Arkansas).

 

Richardson wasn't in the SEC all that long.

Darrin Horn would be in my consideration, I have really liked this guy since he was at WKU.

 

He rubbed alot of people the wrong way down at WKU (as I'm originally from the Bowling Green area, a WKU grad, and still plenty of family down there). From the people I've talked to down there, not a lot of people liked the guy. Who knows though? Maybe he has turned a new leaf at South Carolina...

 

Just for the heck of it, who would be your first choice if Cal left for whatever reason?

 

Mark Fox from Georgia would be #1 on my list.

I'm assuming these are wins while at an SEC school.

 

Hugh spent the most productive years of his career at Florida State. (IMO)

 

If it were overall wins I would be most surprised that Norm Sloan wasn't on there (NC State and twice at Florida). Or Nolan Richardson (Tulsa & Arkansas).

Your assumption is correct. Donovan (330) passed Sloan (235) in that category in 2006.
Your assumption is correct. Donovan (330) passed Sloan (235) in that category in 2006.

 

If you have a link to the list, could you post it, swampy?

Richardson wasn't in the SEC all that long.

 

That's why I placed that opening disclaimer of "It must be only while at an SEC schoo." If it was overall, then Richardson won a lot of games in the old SWC and at Tulsa before Arkansas. :thumb:

 

BTW, I checked, he coached in the SEC from '92 to 2002.

I still can't believe Donovan has been at UF for 14 years. Man, I remember talking to him in Huntington once when he was coaching at Marshall. He and John Pelphrey were at Chi Chi's and the son of a friend of mine wanted Pelphrey's autograph.

 

I can't believe that was 15 years or more ago.

 

I'm old. :cry:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.