April 13, 201016 yr Sullinger is more polished than some college seniors for his position. You're seriously underrating his athleticism as well. Kid has unreal footwork and gets up and down the floor with ease. If you think he lacks athleticism, you obviously haven't seen him much: Walter please go and watch some NBA. Sure he looks athletic against kids that are 6'2", but one of the knocks on him is that he isn't athletic by NBA standards, and he's not even close. Look at the guys that are 6'8" or so in the NBA that are considered athletic. Does Sullinger remind you of Josh Smith of the Hawks? I hope not. He's an average to slightly below average athlete at the NBA level and at 6'8" it's hard to be affective if you're not really athletic. PF's his size that just bang on the block don't really play in the league anymore. For every DeJuan Blair or Elton Brand there are 20-25 Tyrus Thomas types drafted. Like I said I like his game and he could turn into a very good pro, but don't give me athletic because he's not IMO. You can see explosive NBA athleticism by just watching a few minutes. Edited April 13, 201016 yr by CatsCatsCats
April 13, 201016 yr I have a great feeling that Cal is about to pull out a class that will blow everyone away.
April 13, 201016 yr I have a great feeling that Cal is about to pull out a class that will blow everyone away. I'm starting to come to the realization this year's class may in fact consist of: Poole Kanter Knight Leslie Jones Lamb Polson
April 13, 201016 yr Walter please go and watch some NBA. Sure he looks athletic against kids that are 6'2", but one of the knocks on him is that he isn't athletic by NBA standards, and he's not even close. Look at the guys that are 6'8" or so in the NBA that are considered athletic. Does Sullinger remind you of Josh Smith of the Hawks? I hope not. He's an average to slightly below average athlete at the NBA level and at 6'8" it's hard to be affective if you're not really athletic. PF's his size that just bang on the block don't really play in the league anymore. For every DeJuan Blair or Elton Brand there are 20-25 Tyrus Thomas types drafted. Like I said I like his game and he could turn into a very good pro, but don't give me athletic because he's not IMO. You can see explosive NBA athleticism by just watching a few minutes. See Jared on the AAU scene...these guys that you're speaking of with "NBA athleticism" were dominated by Jared. Athleticism isn't everything...especially in the NBA. You can be just as effective with the game that Jared has. You say Jared can look effective and athletic against 6'2 guys but that right there tells me you haven't see him much. Northland played a VERY TOUGH schedule this year. Tristan Thompson is as athletic as they come and look what Sully did to him when Northland played Findlay prep. All he did was drop over 30 points on him and pull down 10+ rebounds. BTW, Thompson is also 2 inches bigger than him. You also have to realize that he is going to slim down some in college and get in much better shape than he's already in. His work ethic is unreal. You may end up being right, but right now I'm not buying it.
April 13, 201016 yr I'm starting to come to the realization this year's class may in fact consist of: Poole Kanter Knight Leslie Jones Lamb Polson I'd be very surprised if Cal got both of those two. I could be wrong though. Nobody thought Cal would get Bledsoe AND Wall last year and look how that worked out.
April 13, 201016 yr According to Wireman's website, Michael Gilchrist is announcing his decision tomorrow on ESPNU.
April 13, 201016 yr According to Wireman's website, Michael Gilchrist is announcing his decision tomorrow on ESPNU. Going to be a very good day for UK fans...
April 13, 201016 yr Any chance Gilchrist pulls a fast one and goes to Nova? People have been saying it was really down to UK and Nova.
April 13, 201016 yr Any chance Gilchrist pulls a fast one and goes to Nova? People have been saying it was really down to UK and Nova. I think UK is pretty much a lock. Gilchrist is a WWW kid and was going to go where Cal was coaching.
April 13, 201016 yr Also breaking today is Doron Lamb could be delaying his decision that was due to happen Saturday. It appears St. Johns is making a big push, he is a New York kid.
April 14, 201016 yr See Jared on the AAU scene...these guys that you're speaking of with "NBA athleticism" were dominated by Jared. Athleticism isn't everything...especially in the NBA. You can be just as effective with the game that Jared has. You say Jared can look effective and athletic against 6'2 guys but that right there tells me you haven't see him much. Northland played a VERY TOUGH schedule this year. Tristan Thompson is as athletic as they come and look what Sully did to him when Northland played Findlay prep. All he did was drop over 30 points on him and pull down 10+ rebounds. BTW, Thompson is also 2 inches bigger than him. You also have to realize that he is going to slim down some in college and get in much better shape than he's already in. His work ethic is unreal. You may end up being right, but right now I'm not buying it. How many future NBA bigs has he played against this year? Are they ready for the NBA right now? Guys like Leslie have the athleticism but don't have the size yet. Kanter is a huge NBA prospect but looks far from athletic. Tristan Thompson from what I've seen is far from NBA ready. There are no Dwight Howard or Amare types out there right now to compare him to. I would be interested to see how he would match up against Favors or Cousins as well. I just hate when people overhype young big men. Guys like Hibbert and Thabeet were world beaters until they got to the league. Beasley dominated college basketball statistically like few frosh have recently, especially on the boards but he can't even play a true post in the league. Big men are so hard to evaluate I think, and for every future big time post player that works out, 10 more have failed before him. You're impressed and I'm impressed, but he is no where near a big time athlete and dominating high school basketball doesn't make him a future NBA star. Kwame Brown ring a bell? Not saying that's him but my goodness let's let the kid play a game before we crown him.:idunno: GT do you care to give us an evaluation of Sullinger if you could?
April 14, 201016 yr GT do you care to give us an evaluation of Sullinger if you could? He is my favorite player to watch in the 2010 class, but your concerns about being undersized as it relates to the NBA are valid. I have said for a while he likely isn't a one and done type because of that, but IMO he is by far the most ready to step in from day 1 and make an impact in the college game. The one thing you aren't going to see in highlight type clips that will help him at the college and NBA levels is he really knows how to get position in the paint and once he has the defender pinned it's a guaranteed 2 as he knows how to use the glass to work every angle. If he can expand his game out to 18-20 feet while at OSU I think he will have a very productive NBA career. Athleticism isn't a concern IMO. He is plenty athletic for his size and thick body type...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.