Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Game Situation Question

Featured Replies

If I'm coaching it's never meaningless. Never.

 

The goal is to get your team ready for the tournament. What if you need some of those bench players come tourney time and you've babied them all year by protecting them against tight situations? They're going to pea down their leg in the tournament. So you're telling me you'd rather let them rot on the bench and only play against weak opponents instead of preparing them for helping you and your boys win tournament games?

 

Your Vince Lombardi style attitude would be fine if we're talking about D1 or the pros.

The goal is to get your team ready for the tournament. What if you need some of those bench players come tourney time and you've babied them all year by protecting them against tight situations? They're going to pea down their leg in the tournament. So you're telling me you'd rather let them rot on the bench and only play against weak opponents instead of preparing them for helping you and your boys win tournament games?

 

Your Vince Lombardi style attitude would be fine if we're talking about D1 or the pros.

 

I would never "baby" them during the year. I wouldn't risk the effort that the starters and the rest of the team put in during the game to do nothing. HS Coaches are paid to coach you know? If the starters pushed it back to around 20 as we got to the 1 minute mark, I would put the subs back in again. The best way would still be to work them in with some starters during games without the risk of losing for the experience. I'll take the Lombardi comment as a compliment. :thumb:

I would never "baby" them during the year. I wouldn't risk the effort that the starters and the rest of the team put in during the game to do nothing. HS Coaches are paid to coach you know? If the starters pushed it back to around 20 as we got to the 1 minute mark, I would put the subs back in again. The best way would still be to work them in with some starters during games without the risk of losing for the experience. I'll take the Lombardi comment as a compliment. :thumb:

 

You say high school coaches are paid to coach. That means coach all of the players. Your "I'll put them back in with one minute left" is babying them IMO. You're not making them better and, therefore, you're not making your team any better unless you go the Elliott County route and play 5 or 6 guys the entire year.

You say high school coaches are paid to coach. That means coach all of the players. Your "I'll put them back in with one minute left" is babying them IMO. You're not making them better and, therefore, you're not making your team any better unless you go the Elliott County route and play 5 or 6 guys the entire year.

 

Not a chance. Situational substitutions. :thumb: Coach to win. I guess it's just the way I'm wired and have been taught. BTW, practice would be tougher than gametime.

If I was coaching I treat the subs just like the starters if the sub is making mistakes and is struggling replace him with someone else or put the starter back in. Basicially coach your game plan and make the starter or the sub stick to it if they struggle replace them with someone that can get the job done. Thats what I want from all my players execute the game plan like we ran it in practice if you struggle I'll put someone in that can. I'd also if I replaced a sub I explain what he needs to do and get him back in before that game ends unless he shows a negative attitude.

If I was coaching I treat the subs just like the starters if the sub is making mistakes and is struggling replace him with someone else or put the starter back in. Basicially coach your game plan and make the starter or the sub stick to it if they struggle replace them with someone that can get the job done. Thats what I want from all my players execute the game plan like we ran it in practice if you struggle I'll put someone in that can. I'd also if I replaced a sub I explain what he needs to do and get him back in before that game ends unless he shows a negative attitude.

 

:thumb: Good post.

I always waited for the other team to wave the white flag. When they pull starters, then I pull starters. When they call off their press, then I call off my press. Just wait for them to take the lead and then follow.

  • Author

Opposing coach had been pressing off and on through out the game. BTW starters were put back in...coach looked down at coach that was up and smiled to which his response was you pull yours and I'll pull mine....to which to fans then began to taunt the coach for lack of "class"....

It depends on the situation. Are all my subs getting beat or just 1-2 players? Are they just missing some leadership? Putting 1-2 starters back in the game might plug the hole and keep the ship from sinking.

I doubt it is every reasonable to sub out all 5 starters, mix it up a bit. Leave a good ball handler in and let em have at it. Control the situation, that is why you are the coach and regardless of experience no one ever wants to lose.

It depends on the situation. Are all my subs getting beat or just 1-2 players? Are they just missing some leadership? Putting 1-2 starters back in the game might plug the hole and keep the ship from sinking.

 

Agreed. This is how I would handle the situation.

If we're struggling because the subs can't handle the press, I probably sub my point guard back in to help the subs be successful. If I'm getting killed on the boards with second chance buckets, I put back in a rebounder or two. It would be an over reaction to take all of the subs back out. This also stresses the importance of doing your job when you are put in the game. The sub(s) removed sit right next to me or the assistant coach so that we can talk about what was being done incorrectly and I look to get him right back in.

This way, I can stem the tide of the comeback, and still provide some positive coaching for the sub. It looks like I took him out to discuss a few things for him to work on and not because he was failing. I don't wait until the last minute to get him back in, even if the game tightens up. I can re-insert him for another sub and let him have the chance to succeed and work on the items discussed.

Your team is up 25, there is about 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter and you have cleared your bench. The opposing coach is slowly putting his starters back in and is full court pressing your bench players, the lead is now cut to 20. Do you...Ride it out, or sub your starters back in until he clears his bench?

 

Get my PG back in the game, just to see if he can handle it him self. If not I'm putting more starter in the game.

I would probably cuss out the other coach for putting his starters back in after the white flag was waived.

I've seen this happen. Even worse, the losing team had not pressed the entire game. Are they trying to make the score look better or do you buy the "we're working on our press"?

 

With the situation given, I'd say it depends a lot on the depth and talent of the winning team. Most of the time I'd expect my JV guys to be able to at least hold a 25 point lead and would be more likely to let them play it out. If the JV is significantly less talented then I would sub in 2 starters to stop the bleeding.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.