January 17, 201016 yr I'm sure you did. But that's just such a tough thing to gauge when you go on your own college visit. You use more "quantifiable" factors and Morehead just didn't stack up in some of those. Wish it had - he'd go there for free and could've played football. I totally understand. Morehead has a ton of potential but the town and its citizens have to get on board........and if they haven't by now they are not going to. Morehead wants the benefits of the college, but not any of the social lives of students.
January 17, 201016 yr When I was at Eastern last year and the couple years prior to that, most of the games were pretty dead. I hated to see it like that, but on average Alumni was 1/4-1/2 way full. The games themselves were entertaining, just didn't hardly ever get any more than half way full.
January 18, 201016 yr That is certainly a plus! Big baseball fan here. WKU has probably moved up to #2 on our final list, as he'll get a nice academic scholley from them. I figured the basketball games would be a bigger deal there given their recent successes in the tourney. He would get a great workout from walking up the hill everyday as I did for 4 years :lol:. The Basketball Program brings in some big name schools to Diddle every year (Tulane and Mississippi State this year, Louisville and South Carolina coming in next year I believe). Not a bad seat in the arena. Football had South Florida come to town last year and have Bowling Green and Indiana coming in next year. Baseball always has a home and home with UK, Louisville, and Vanderbilt. They also have Tennessee coming in this season. Also not to mention the Single A Club in Bowling Green now. Lots of things to do in Bowling Green for him to enjoy.
January 18, 201016 yr Students get in free at MSU but I never go. Just isn't the same as watching the big boys.
January 18, 201016 yr Students get in free at MSU but I never go. Just isn't the same as watching the big boys. That's kind of a shame though, especially if you are a hoops fan, that you wouldn't want to go out and support your school. Did you go watch your high school team play? Or, if you played for your high school, did you expect the other students to come out (at least once in a while) and cheer you on? I'm sure you are right that MSU isn't on par with the "big boys", but using that same rationale, the "big boys" aren't on par with the NBA pros, so why would those students go watch them? It's what you make of it, I guess. EKU didn't have especially overwhelming or successful teams when I went there (early/mid 80's), but I always enjoyed going to the games with my frat buds. Oh well, not meaning to ride you or anything.
January 18, 201016 yr I was listening to the always great Chuck Mraz on the Morehead radio broadcast the other day and I think the Eagles were at Tennessee Tech. The made a questionable call in the favor of Morehead State. Mraz said: "The fans here really didn't like that call. All 500 people in attendance just came together as one and made it sound like 510." :lol:
January 18, 201016 yr Students get in free at MSU but I never go. Just isn't the same as watching the big boys. I actually think it's better than watching the big boys. Some of the best basketball I've watched this season, and I've been all over the state at every level, has been in the OVC. I think people perceive it to be crappy basketball but they don't realize that Morehead State is a very athletic team that plays as hard as any team you'll find. Faried one of the nation's leaders in rebounding and has NBA potential. The folks in Morehead are really missing out on a good experience. Remember, don't knock it until you've tried it.
January 18, 201016 yr We always had great crowds for the games when I was at MSU (78 grad). What happened?
January 18, 201016 yr EKU bad attendance = *Suitcase college, students pack up on the weekends and leave for home. *Winter Break *Harassment of students who pre-game party.
January 18, 201016 yr EKU bad attendance = *Suitcase college, students pack up on the weekends and leave for home. *Winter Break *Harassment of students who pre-game party. I am an EKU alumni, when I was at EKU from 1999-03. This was the opposite, very few students went home and campus was always a buzzing place (literally). President Robert Kustra was a student friendly President, he implemented First Weekend and various other activities to keep students on campus, he was also the president that opened up tailgaiting (with beer. etc.) in the Alumni parking lot. At this time EKU was a great place to be and everyone loved to stay the weekend. By my senior year Kustra had left and Joanne Glasser was hired. When Glasser was hired the student first atmosphere changed and with the help of some local leaders downtown was shut down and Eastern lost its thrill. :cry:
January 18, 201016 yr EKU bad attendance = *Suitcase college, students pack up on the weekends and leave for home. *Winter Break *Harassment of students who pre-game party. I will give you the suitcase college deal (at least it was when I went there a couple of eons ago), but that only explains attendance for games on the weekend, not during the week. It is also disappointing that the town of Richmond, which apparently must be growing given all the new businesses and subdivisions that have popped up, don't support the team more. I have no idea what harassment of students who pre-game party means. I certainly don't recall that, but I also don't specifically recall partying hard outside (or inside) the arena before basketball games. What school would allow the type of partying to which you are referring?
January 18, 201016 yr Author I will give you the suitcase college deal (at least it was when I went there a couple of eons ago), but that only explains attendance for games on the weekend, not during the week. It is also disappointing that the town of Richmond, which apparently must be growing given all the new businesses and subdivisions that have popped up, don't support the team more. I have no idea what harassment of students who pre-game party means. I certainly don't recall that, but I also don't specifically recall partying hard outside (or inside) the arena before basketball games. What school would allow the type of partying to which you are referring? This is what is confusing to me. Madison County has nearly 100,000 people, probably more than twice what it was when I was a student there in the mid 1970's. Yet the attendance is down from my college days. Evidently the county just hasn't adopted a loyalty to the Colonels, and neither has the students.
January 18, 201016 yr I am an EKU alumni, when I was at EKU from 1999-03. This was the opposite, very few students went home and campus was always a buzzing place (literally). President Robert Kustra was a student friendly President, he implemented First Weekend and various other activities to keep students on campus, he was also the president that opened up tailgaiting (with beer. etc.) in the Alumni parking lot. At this time EKU was a great place to be and everyone loved to stay the weekend. By my senior year Kustra had left and Joanne Glasser was hired. When Glasser was hired the student first atmosphere changed and with the help of some local leaders downtown was shut down and Eastern lost its thrill. :cry: We was there at the same time.
January 18, 201016 yr EKU bad attendance = *Suitcase college, students pack up on the weekends and leave for home. *Winter Break *Harassment of students who pre-game party. Football games were alot easier to get into with a "pre-game party on". It is outdoors and just flash the student ID walk to your seat and enjoy. Some bartenders even snuck into the stadium from time to time to mix drinks on site. At least that is what I have been told.:idunno:
January 18, 201016 yr That's kind of a shame though, especially if you are a hoops fan, that you wouldn't want to go out and support your school. Did you go watch your high school team play? Or, if you played for your high school, did you expect the other students to come out (at least once in a while) and cheer you on? I'm sure you are right that MSU isn't on par with the "big boys", but using that same rationale, the "big boys" aren't on par with the NBA pros, so why would those students go watch them? It's what you make of it, I guess. EKU didn't have especially overwhelming or successful teams when I went there (early/mid 80's), but I always enjoyed going to the games with my frat buds. Oh well, not meaning to ride you or anything. I always played sports in school and I liked it when other students came to our games. I don't think MSU does enough to get people out to the games. They try to, but it's just not something that is fun to go to for the most part. Also I don't really connect with the schools sports teams, I like other schools. MSU is close to home for me and that's why I go there. I always want MSU to win (except for the UK game), but I don't even feel like keeping up with it. But, then again I'm not a huge college BBall guy. I like to watch UK and everything else is pretty boring to me. I do like going to the football games, because I like any level of football. I just can't get in to MSU basketball and it's really nothing against them. I like alot of the players, I think Faried is really underrated on the national level, but the games are boring to watch. I think it has to do with the atmosphere at games. No one is there and I think that causes people not to go. It's a never ending cycle.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.