Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EKU and Morehead State's BB attendance

Featured Replies

I was watching highlights of yesterday's games at Eastern and Morehead on the sports and their arenas were nearly empty. I was at EKU from 1972-1976 and remember going to the games there and we always had good attendance. If we were playing Western or Morehead it was usually close to a full house. And other games had good attendance as well.

 

What has happened to their fan bases? Has UK's state popularity finally swallowed them up, or is it the excessive number of games on TV today that we didn't have when I was in college?

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Neither I imagine. Where was the game? If it was at Morehead then I can tell you the reason. It's because Morehead is a dying town and on the weekends everyone leaves either to go home or to go to Lexington or some other bigger city. Also the administration and athletic department don't do a whole lot to get students involved in school athletics. It's quite sad really because MSU isn't a bad athletic school.

OVC Average home attendence for this year for OVC games

 

 

Murray State - 3,809 (6 games) - 3,355 overall

 

Austin Peay - 2,799 (5 games) - 2,645 for all games

 

Morehead State - 2,672 (4 games) - 2,326 overall

 

Tennessee Martin - 2,248 (4 games) - 2,066 overall

 

Eastern Kentucky - 2,025 (4 games) - 2,085 overall

 

SEMO - 1,175 (2 games) - 2,149 overall

 

Jacksonville State - 965 (3 games) - 1,406 overall

 

Eastern Illinois - 832 (3 games) - 849 for all games

 

Tennessee Tech - 798 (2 games) - 896 overall

 

Tennessee State - 685 (4 games) - 1,013 overall

Edited by The Scribe

Where are the students? What about some of the ticket holders?

Going to EKU Tuesday night to see their game. Sure hoping there's a decent crowd there, as the point is to show my son that Eastern's b-ball and f-ball games are fun to attend and follow. They certainly were back when I went there.

Finding a good seat shouldn't be a problem

Finding a good seat shouldn't be a problem

 

Not what I wanted to hear.

 

He's too concerned about going to a big school (UK, UL) that will have exciting sports teams to follow. Was hoping to show him that even a smaller, less successful (in sports) school like EKU and WKU, can still be a good time to follow.

 

Things must have changed from the mid-80's. We had a great time at EKU's basketball games. The football games were an absolute blast.

I attended both and was friends with basketball and football players at both.

 

Attitudes of players at small schools hurt it more than at big schools.

 

Neither school promotes basketball like it should.

 

Morehead sucks as a town, period.

 

My fraternity at Eastern tried hard to promote basketball games, but was hassled A LOT when we attended, because we had a few drinks before entering. We was very loud but made a point to not use totally offensive language.............same at Morehead but Morehead finally stop letting us in...........

I attended both and was friends with basketball and football players at both.

 

Attitudes of players at small schools hurt it more than at big schools.

 

Neither school promotes basketball like it should.

 

Morehead sucks as a town, period.

 

Not the slightest bit impressed with the town or the school when we visited a few months ago.

Not the slightest bit impressed with the town or the school when we visited a few months ago.

 

 

The school is very good, once you get over the 1970's and 60's look of some of the buildings. Everything just looks so old, not classic old, but just industrial, concrete, ugly.

 

I couldn't be happier with the education I got there though.

The school is very good, once you get over the 1970's and 60's look of some of the buildings. Everything just looks so old, not classic old, but just industrial, concrete, ugly.

 

I couldn't be happier with the education I got there though.

 

I'm sure you did. But that's just such a tough thing to gauge when you go on your own college visit. You use more "quantifiable" factors and Morehead just didn't stack up in some of those. Wish it had - he'd go there for free and could've played football.

Not what I wanted to hear.

 

He's too concerned about going to a big school (UK, UL) that will have exciting sports teams to follow. Was hoping to show him that even a smaller, less successful (in sports) school like EKU and WKU, can still be a good time to follow.

 

Things must have changed from the mid-80's. We had a great time at EKU's basketball games. The football games were an absolute blast.

 

You best bet would showing him a basketball game at WKU. VERY strong basketball attendence, around 5 to 6K a game. Just renovated a L.T. Smith Stadium and are now playing in the Sun Belt in FBS and passion is there and things are looking up. Baseball is doing great things (won Sun Belt last year and were one out away in the Regionals against Ole Miss from playing UVA in the Super Regionals). Attendence is very good for the baseball games as well. :thumb:

You best bet would showing him a basketball game at WKU. VERY strong basketball attendence, around 5 to 6K a game. Just renovated a L.T. Smith Stadium and are now playing in the Sun Belt in FBS and passion is there and things are looking up. Baseball is doing great things (won Sun Belt last year and were one out away in the Regionals against Ole Miss from playing UVA in the Super Regionals). Attendence is very good for the baseball games as well. :thumb:

 

That is certainly a plus! Big baseball fan here.

 

WKU has probably moved up to #2 on our final list, as he'll get a nice academic scholley from them. I figured the basketball games would be a bigger deal there given their recent successes in the tourney.

I went to the Morehead game yesterday. It's the first time I had been in 10 or so years and I wanted to take my daughter to a game. I think part of the problem is the cost. While tickets were only 10 bucks add food and parking, its starts adding up. My family spent about 40-45 dollars to watch Morehead play Eastern Illionis:scared:

OVC Average home attendence for this year for OVC games

 

 

Murray State - 3,809 (6 games) - 3,355 overall

 

Austin Peay - 2,799 (5 games) - 2,645 for all games

 

Morehead State - 2,672 (4 games) - 2,326 overall

 

Tennessee Martin - 2,248 (4 games) - 2,066 overall

 

Eastern Kentucky - 2,025 (4 games) - 2,085 overall

 

SEMO - 1,175 (2 games) - 2,149 overall

 

Jacksonville State - 965 (3 games) - 1,406 overall

 

Eastern Illinois - 832 (3 games) - 849 for all games

 

Tennessee Tech - 798 (2 games) - 896 overall

 

Tennessee State - 685 (4 games) - 1,013 overall

In fairness, the biggest chunk of these games have come during winter break. I went to a few of the Murray games during the winter break and that number is probably close to that number. I figured Murray State was around 5000 when the students are in session.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.