Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EKU and Morehead State's BB attendance

Featured Replies

I actually think it's better than watching the big boys. Some of the best basketball I've watched this season, and I've been all over the state at every level, has been in the OVC.

 

I think people perceive it to be crappy basketball but they don't realize that Morehead State is a very athletic team that plays as hard as any team you'll find. Faried one of the nation's leaders in rebounding and has NBA potential. The folks in Morehead are really missing out on a good experience. Remember, don't knock it until you've tried it.

 

MSU does a very poor job in advertising their athletics, especially the men's basketball team. Faried is a great basketball player and an even better person but some people don't go to the games to find out. The Athletic Department needs a better PR person if they are going to attract a vast student attendance for the games.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea what harassment of students who pre-game party means. I certainly don't recall that, but I also don't specifically recall partying hard outside (or inside) the arena before basketball games. What school would allow the type of partying to which you are referring?

 

Walking or riding from downtown officers are on the prowl looking for AI's. Tailgating is outlawed.

It is awful that the majority of people that would go are of the party nature and would like a good time with alcohol prior to a game, but that is the facts of life in college and EKU has become really strict with alcohol related activities.

Very simple. People in KY say they are basketball fans. This is a half truth. People in KY are UK basketball fans, not basketball fans.

Walking or riding from downtown officers are on the prowl looking for AI's. Tailgating is outlawed.

It is awful that the majority of people that would go are of the party nature and would like a good time with alcohol prior to a game, but that is the facts of life in college and EKU has become really strict with alcohol related activities.

 

Trust me, they did the same thing back in the 80's when I attended EKU. I wasn't much of a drinker so it wasn't really an issue, but I had plenty of buddies that spent a night in the Richmond jail.

 

We're going down tomorrow night. Hope we're not the only ones in the arena. You guys are scaring me . . . :lol:

Trust me, they did the same thing back in the 80's when I attended EKU. I wasn't much of a drinker so it wasn't really an issue, but I had plenty of buddies that spent a night in the Richmond jail.

 

We're going down tomorrow night. Hope we're not the only ones in the arena. You guys are scaring me . . . :lol:

 

:lol:

I was there from 03'-06' and never got into trouble. Have fun!

I actually think it's better than watching the big boys. Some of the best basketball I've watched this season, and I've been all over the state at every level, has been in the OVC.

 

I think people perceive it to be crappy basketball but they don't realize that Morehead State is a very athletic team that plays as hard as any team you'll find. Faried one of the nation's leaders in rebounding and has NBA potential. The folks in Morehead are really missing out on a good experience. Remember, don't knock it until you've tried it.

 

Oh, I've been to my share of MSU games. I always went and watched them when Minard was playing, and when WC guys Casey Lowe and Jeremy Webb were there. It's to boring for me now. The only excitement is Faried catching a lob anymore IMO. I do enjoy watching him play though. :thumb:

:lol:

I was there from 03'-06' and never got into trouble. Have fun!

 

I graduated in '86. Taking my wife, son, and nephew (also a senior), so we'll probably keep it low key and stay away from First Street. I wouldn't mind showing him the Family Dog (heard it's closed now) since I spent a large chunk of my college in that place. :sssh: :cool:

I graduated in '86. Taking my wife, son, and nephew (also a senior), so we'll probably keep it low key and stay away from First Street. I wouldn't mind showing him the Family Dog (heard it's closed now) since I spent a large chunk of my college in that place. :sssh: :cool:

 

You can bet almost of everything that was there in the 80's in no longer there. Paco's was my favorite before they closed it down. Best mexican in town.

I went to Morehead while UK won 2 National Championships. UK really didn't have anything to do with Moreheads attendance for the most part. The time Morehead had pretty good attendance was when the Greek life had something going on. They brought masses of people to the games with each fraternity/sorority bringing 40 or so each. It added up pretty good for the student section.

The President at Morehead now has done a TERRIBLE job trying to run off the Greek life at Morehead and I think he's going to find out that he is going to hurt the University in the long run. Anytime there is fundraisers or anything special that needs to be done it is usually the Greek life there that steps up. Obviously there are individuals that do things but talking about in big numbers it's not close.

It is definatly a suitcase college and probably always will be. I do remember we would go to get free pizzas from Dominos sometimes because we were all poor lol.

I went to Morehead while UK won 2 National Championships. UK really didn't have anything to do with Moreheads attendance for the most part. The time Morehead had pretty good attendance was when the Greek life had something going on. They brought masses of people to the games with each fraternity/sorority bringing 40 or so each. It added up pretty good for the student section.

The President at Morehead now has done a TERRIBLE job trying to run off the Greek life at Morehead and I think he's going to find out that he is going to hurt the University in the long run. Anytime there is fundraisers or anything special that needs to be done it is usually the Greek life there that steps up. Obviously there are individuals that do things but talking about in big numbers it's not close.

It is definatly a suitcase college and probably always will be. I do remember we would go to get free pizzas from Dominos sometimes because we were all poor lol.

 

The way Greek life is now at MSU does hurt the attendance IMO.:thumb:

I went to Eastern in the early 80's. We was a National Champion and I don't remember Hanger field ever being packed. As for basketball the only time I remember B-ball having a good crowd was when Western or Morehead came to town.

Made a college visit to EKU with son last night and today. Went to basketball game last night. Maybe - maybe - 500 or 600 there. Kind of disappointing. I know it was only Chicago State, who is indeed terrible, but honestly I don't think there were any more than 100-150 students at the game. For a campus of 12,000 or so, that's pretty poor.

 

On the bright side, we were very impressed with our tour of the campus. Been a while since I'd been there. The renovated dining hall is unreal. The new fitness center is first rate and there are a number of other new buildings, including a new montrous Science building in the works. Dorms were okay. All in all, very impressive.

  • Author
I graduated in '86. Taking my wife, son, and nephew (also a senior), so we'll probably keep it low key and stay away from First Street. I wouldn't mind showing him the Family Dog (heard it's closed now) since I spent a large chunk of my college in that place. :sssh: :cool:

The Family Dog was called The Steak Out (or maybe Stake Out, not sure) when I was there in the '70's. Exile used to play there about once a month, before they were big on the national scene, and it was packed wall to wall. Exile in those days was a rock band, but they later made their fame in country music.

The Family Dog was called The Steak Out (or maybe Stake Out, not sure) when I was there in the '70's. Exile used to play there about once a month, before they were big on the national scene, and it was packed wall to wall. Exile in those days was a rock band, but they later made their fame in country music.

 

Times have changed. First Street is closed down and getting a major renovation and looks like it'll be more upscale. O'Reilly's is closed down and now some Irish Pub that our tour guide said no one goes to. Sutter's Mill is closed down. I knew the Family Dog was closed, but thought that just occurred a year or two ago. The kid taking us on the tour (senior) never even heard of the place, so it must have been closed for a while. I asked him where everyone hangs in town and he said most people go to Lexington, which is a complete reversal from my days when half of UK went to Richmond on Thursday nights.

Times have changed. First Street is closed down and getting a major renovation and looks like it'll be more upscale. O'Reilly's is closed down and now some Irish Pub that our tour guide said no one goes to. Sutter's Mill is closed down. I knew the Family Dog was closed, but thought that just occurred a year or two ago. The kid taking us on the tour (senior) never even heard of the place, so it must have been closed for a while. I asked him where everyone hangs in town and he said most people go to Lexington, which is a complete reversal from my days when half of UK went to Richmond on Thursday nights.

 

The Dog closed 2000-01.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.