Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Worst UK memories

Featured Replies

1. 3 for 33

2. Duke (Laetner)

3. 97 Championship Game

4. every loss to UL

5. every loss to UT

  • Replies 50
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1970-71 season ended so disappointed,this was a very good team, but WKU had a very good team as well.They (WKU) beat UK 107-83 in the mideast regional at Athens,Ga.btw,WKU went on only to lose to UCLA in the NCAA Championship game.

The 99-00, 00-01, 00-02 seasons.

The 05-06, 06-07, 08-09 seasons.

The Billy Gillispie era

1992 Duke Game. It was a great game but i still cant watch the end of the game. Plus it was the end of the Cawood era.

1992 Duke Game. It was a great game but i still cant watch the end of the game. Plus it was the end of the Cawood era.

 

That's what made it harder for my wife. I had just picked her up off our friend's floor where she was crying and got her into the car.

 

She was fine until we were listening to WHAS and Cawood said, "For those of you who've gone down the glory road with me, my eternal thanks. From the Spectrum in Philadelphia, this is Cawood Ledford and this is the University of Kentucky Network."

 

She bawled the rest of the way home. :cry:

The Christian Lattener shot... Nothing even comes close..

The 1970-71 season ended so disappointed,this was a very good team, but WKU had a very good team as well.They (WKU) beat UK 107-83 in the mideast regional at Athens,Ga.btw,WKU went on only to lose to UCLA in the NCAA Championship game.

I don't think they made it to the championship game. I believe they lost in OT in the first game of the Final Four to Villanova.

I don't think they made it to the championship game. I believe they lost in OT in the first game of the Final Four to Villanova.

 

You are correct. :thumb:

 

The Final Four spot (and Villanova's) was later vacated because Jim McDaniels had signed with an agent. :ohbrother:

1992 Duke Game. It was a great game but i still cant watch the end of the game. Plus it was the end of the Cawood era.

We watched that game at my sister's house. We made her sell it. There should be a movie about that game. I would not go.

Another post got me thinking about my worst UK memories.

 

1. UK vs. Duke, 1992 Christian Laettner shot.

2. UK vs. Michigan State, 2005 Rajon Rondo dribbling the basketball in overtime and never getting off a shot, in the region final.

3. Billy Gillispie era. Never thought I could get so mad so much.

5. UK vs. UAB, 2004 getting beat in the 2nd round.

 

I can agree with those as well, the Pitino leaving one I left out, mainly due to the way I look at it if a coach doesn't want to be here then don't let the back door hit em' where the good Lord split em' :irked:. Don't get me wrong, I loved Pitino's coaching but I honestly did not like his personality. Besides, the U.K. basketball program/tradition that Adolph Rupp built is not about any one person. U.K. basketball is much bigger than that and was here before Pitino and will remain long after he is forgotten.

 

Some others are and I cannot remember the exact years but......................

 

I believe it was around the very late 60's to early 70's when U.K. lost to Jacksonville and Artis Gilmore in the NCAA.

 

When U.K. frst played and lost to U.L. in Knoxville in the NCAA tournament, Coach Joe B. Hall and Dernny Crum.

 

A U.K loss to LSU in the tournament (around 85'-86' ?)after beating them three times before in that same season. (Kenny "Sky" Walker taking what I thought was a cheap shot poke in the eye that put him out of the game).

 

The U.K. loss to Georgetown in the NCAA tournament when we shot such a terrible pct. (I can't remember the year...80's?)

 

There are just a few that came to mind, I know I could have looked up, the exact years but I am honestly just too lazy to do that right now,lol. Besides, I am sure the brief descriptions that I gave will bring back those games to some that are a bit more old school than some of the younger members.

 

Not a game but when U.K. came out in "denim" uniforms I lovee that team but U.K. colors are royal blue and white. I am old school and the denim color on a U.K. uni made me sick.

 

Also.......any and all losses to Tennesse, Louisville or Duke really "tick" me off. :irked::D

The 1970-71 season ended so disappointed,this was a very good team, but WKU had a very good team as well.They (WKU) beat UK 107-83 in the mideast regional at Athens,Ga.btw,WKU went on only to lose to UCLA in the NCAA Championship game.

 

:thumb:

My top five worst memories:

 

Not in order:

 

Texas Western 1966:puke:

WKU 1971:puke:

UCLA 1975:puke:

Georgetown 1984:puke:

Duke 1992:puke:

 

There's more:

Next five:

 

Michigan 1993:puke:

Marquette 1994:puke:

UNC 1995:puke:

Arizona 1997:puke:

Michigan St. 1999:puke:

 

And the list goes on and on.:irked::puke::puke:

2006 Kansas game: UK - 46, KU - 73. That's when I finally woke out of my delusion that KY was still an elite program.

Another couple that were not games but the deaths of Adolph Rupp, Cawood Ledford and "Mr. Wildcat" Bill Keightly were tough to take.....May they R.I.P., :cry:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.