Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

N. KY Coaches Pre-Season Poll

Featured Replies

Boys poll

First-place votes in parentheses

 

 

 

Rank-Team Points Last year

1. Holmes (7) 79 36-2

2. Boone Co. (1) 70 26-5

3. Highlands 60 21-9

4. NewCath 46 18-11

5. Ryle 36 17-11

6. Scott 30 23-9

7. Newport 29 16-11

8. Dixie Heights 24 13-17

9. CovCath 23 8-19

10. Conner 22 13-15

 

I wonder which coach voted Boone #1 over Holmes? :D

Teams ranked 8-9-10 all had losing records last year. Why the turn around this year? Traditionally good teams. Who on these teams will make the difference this year?

Edited by bugatti

teams ranked 8-9-10 all had losing records last year. Why the turn around this year? Traditionally good teams. Who on these teams will make the difference this year?

 

Dixie- they have some solid Sr's and youth. Raliegh, West Smith along with Zeke Pike and Brandon Hatton.

 

Cov Cath- Wellbrock and Thelen will carrythe load IMO.

 

Conner- Hodges and Flesch had very nice summers playing AAU from what I read on here. Losing Avery hurts a lot but once you get to #9 and #10 in the poll there really isnt much else out there.

teams ranked 8-9-10 all had losing records last year. Why the turn around this year? Traditionally good teams. Who on these teams will make the difference this year?

None of the teams they are ranked ahead of will have winning records this year. Someone has to be 8-9-10. I do think CovCath will end up moving up quickly.

None of the teams they are ranked ahead of will have winning records this year. Someone has to be 8-9-10. I do think CovCath will end up moving up quickly.

 

I think Brossart could surprise some.

Does anyone else think its kind of silly that the NKY coaches include 8th and 10th region teams in their poll? I think it should be a 9th region poll.

Aren't these schools still in the NKAC?

 

Yes, these teams make up the NKAC. But is it strange that there are teams represented from three different regions? Just a thought, I am still not sure how I feel about it, just wanted to offer it up as food for thought.

I think Brossart could surprise some.

 

I agree about Brossart. I think they could do some damage and play spoiler this year in the 10th. Possibly a ALL A Regional title also.

 

As for CovCath though. I think they have a lot to prove. I don't think this team finishes in the top 10 this year. They really don't have the scorers on this team to take them places they've been in the past. Add a tough schedule and a tough district, this team has lots of work to do. They will rely on tough defense and rebounding. Alot of offensive rebounding if you get my drift.

I cannot believe that Boone received a first place vote over a state championship team that returns 3 starters and the state tournament MVP. What were they thinking? That might just tack on a few more points to the final margin when these two teams play @ Holmes this year.

I agree about Brossart. I think they could do some damage and play spoiler this year in the 10th. Possibly a ALL A Regional title also.

 

As for CovCath though. I think they have a lot to prove. I don't think this team finishes in the top 10 this year. They really don't have the scorers on this team to take them places they've been in the past. Add a tough schedule and a tough district, this team has lots of work to do. They will rely on tough defense and rebounding. Alot of offensive rebounding if you get my drift.

 

I agree for the most part what you say about Cov Cath, but I do think they will have enough scoring to surprise people. Mattie Klien, Trey Evans and Max will hit enough from the outside, and Thelen and Wellbrock should provide enough points inside. What they will not do this year as they have int he past is take the unadvised three or force an outside jumpshot, just because they feel they have to. I think there will be enough ball movement, and sharing of the ball as no one on this team feels they have to score. I truly seem them playing team ball more this year than the last couple. And with the changes they are making on defense I think they will not allow the scores they have the last couple of years. I am glad to hear that coach is adjusting his style to fit the strength of this years team, more than maybe he has in the past. This team has some very quick athletic guys. I think he will roll thru 10 - 12 guys every game and you will not see the guys getting 35 - 40 minutes that you have in the past. I also disagree with your statement about tough district. I do not the the district will be as strong as last year. Holmes yea, Holy Cross maybe, but no way Beechwood is as tough as last year. I think this years CovCath team will surprise a bunch of people. We will see, starting tonight. They do have to prove it!

What's more alarming to me is not that Boone Co. received a first place vote. Instead, it's that only 8 coaches voted.

What's more alarming to me is not that Boone Co. received a first place vote. Instead, it's that only 8 coaches voted.

 

The first place vote for Boone does make one wonder what exactly would have to occurr to make that individual vote Holmes number one. All they have done is:

 

- Won state losing only 2 games

- Return the top 3 players in the region and added a solid transfer

- Avenged a regular season loss to Boone in a low scoring game in the most recent game played between the two.

 

Not to mention Boone lost McFarland one of their better players to graduation.

I'm sure the 1st place vote was from Henley, Holmes' Coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.