Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 73 Stanford 65 (OT)

Featured Replies

Sloppy game, if Wall wants to be as good as Rose, he needs to cut down on the turnovers. Johnny Dawkins did a great job with a clearly overmatched team. I'm just glad we got the win, that is the kind of team that would have blown us out last season.

 

Derrick Rose's statistics for his one year at Memphis:

 

Minutes - 29.2

Points - 14.9

FG% - 47.7%

3PG% - 33.7%

FT% - 71.2%

Rebounds - 4.5

Assists - 4.7 (1.8/1 ratio)

Turnovers - 2.7

Steals - 1.2

Blocks - 0.4

 

Now here are John Wall's statistics through an obviously shorter stretch at Kentucky:

 

Minutes - 38.0

Points - 19.8

FG% - 53.7%

3PG% - 30.8%

FT% - 80.4%

Rebounds - 4.0

Assists - 6.6 (1.4/1 ratio)

Turnovers - 4.4

Steals - 1.8

Blocks - 1.0

 

So to compare...

Minutes - Wall

Points - Wall, by 5

FG% - Wall, by 6%

3PG% - Rose, by 3%

FT% - Wall, by 9%

Rebounds - Rose, by 0.5

A/T Ratio - Rose, by 0.4

Turnovers - Rose, 1.5 fewer per game

Steals - Wall, by 0.6

Blocks - Wall, by 0.6

 

In Conclusion...

Yes, Wall needs to cut down on his turnovers. But beyond that, admittedly with limited statistical information for John Wall, it appears that Wall might just be better right now. This would be an interesting stat line to follow as the years progresses.

  • Replies 132
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised to see Wall only hitting his FTs at an 80% clip... Seems like he's done better than that -- Not that that's bad, just seems like he's hitting at a higher %... But he did miss a few in that Miami (OH) game, so I guess I can see it.

Varnado will dominate Cousins when they match up. Cousins is not mentally ready, among things, to play in the SEC.

Is it wrong to say that a player should grow up? I believe that's entirely more important right now than anything else he's doing correctly. We know he's a good talent. We've been talking all along about how once this team grows they'll be great and when one player clearly has a lot of growing up to do and we mention it we get bashed? I applaud those who do well. Try reading back to the threads against Sam Houston when Cousins played well. When someone plays well, like Ramon did in OT, I'll say they played well. If someone is acting like a child on the court, I'll say that too. I don't consider that "spoiling" by any means.

 

One mistake on the court does not define Cousins. Did you not think that there would be moments of frustration and mental break downs? We'd be naive not to expect that. Quit being a critic and support the team!! They are winning! Isn't that what you want? I've never seen a group of fans that criticize so much even after a win. It's the exact reason why we have bad reputation nation wide as unrealistic demanding fanatics. It's also naive to think that it doesn't effect recruiting because I know it does. I have a brother who was on Nolan Richardson staff at Arkansas and I've heard Nolan himself say so. We would all be better and happier if we'd quit criticizing and just support the team. It would take a while to change that bad rep but it would definately help out UK and the team. It would make Cal's job easier when trying to land the top recruits in the nation. I know it would have a good effect in recruiting.

  • Author
One mistake on the court does not define Cousins. Did you not think that there would be moments of frustration and mental break downs? We'd be naive not to expect that. Quit being a critic and support the team!! They are winning! Isn't that what you want? I've never seen a group of fans that criticize so much even after a win. It's the exact reason why we have bad reputation nation wide as unrealistic demanding fanatics. It's also naive to think that it doesn't effect recruiting because I know it does. I have a brother who was on Nolan Richardson staff at Arkansas and I've heard Nolan himself say so. We would all be better and happier if we'd quit criticizing and just support the team. It would take a while to change that bad rep but it would definately help out UK and the team. It would make Cal's job easier when trying to land the top recruits in the nation. I know it would have a good effect in recruiting.

 

Saying I don't support this team is also a falsity. If I pay money to attend their games, pay tuition to go to their school, and pay money on BGPs, I feel I have every right to criticize this team and shouldn't be bashed for it. I'll say it again, if someone performs well I will have show unconditional support towards them in every positive way, if they don't I find no fault in pointing out someone's flaws. :idunno:

You've got to be kidding me!!

 

UKCF, have you EVER watched him, and seen him when a foul has been called on him??? Cousins acts like a spoiled brat, like it's an "outrage" that he could even possibly be called for an offense.

 

I expect that kind of behavior out 5 year boys in Walmart. NOT out of a 20-year-old man-child.

 

P.S. there are kids in my family that sometimes act like that. And even though they are family, "acting like a spoiled brat" applies to them also.

 

 

 

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

 

A spoiled brat? Because he disagrees with a call. And yes, I have seen every foul called on him this year and I think you're exaggerating just a bit.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying that THE KID(yes, he may look like a man but he's still a kid) has not got some learning to do because he does but calling him a spoiled brat after 2 weeks of the season is absurd! It's fans like this who get on a public forum andcall our players brats and spoiled and a child that makes us all a laughing stock. Do you think this helps with recruits? What top recruit would want to come to a school where the expectations are unrealistic perfection from the moment you step on the court. Where there is no room for growing and no tolerance for mistake. Where you are criticized and scrutinized on every dribble and shot you make. While Cal and staff may overcome this obstacle with many recruits, don't think for a second that we may lose a big one from time to time because of this. I just don't get it, I just don't get why people would want to hurt something that they claim to love so dearly.:idunno:

Saying I don't support this team is also a falsity. If I pay money to attend their games, pay tuition to go to their school, and pay money on BGPs, I feel I have every right to criticize this team and shouldn't be bashed for it. I'll say it again, if someone performs well I will have show unconditional support towards them in every positive way, if they don't I find no fault in pointing out someone's flaws. :idunno:

 

Icompletely disagree but whatever, nothing I say is going to change anything. Don't you see that you're not doing any good? You're not helping anything by criticizing so much. How can you criticize and then say you support them? I see nothing wrong with constructive criticism, nothing at all but calling someone a spoiled brat is not constructive. A guy on KSR talked today about the difference in Cal and Gillispie, he said Cal screamed...."Why don't you shoot?" compared to Gillispie screaming ...." Shoot the ball, you idiot" They basically say the same thing but one is constructive and the other is destructive. At least something good comes from being constructive. Your definately not helping the team or the program by criticizing and name calling the players on a public forum.

 

Oh also, my comments were not directed at you Magic. Didn't want you to think I was directly speaking of you because I was speaking to nobody in particular.

Can you name 5 big men that you'd rather have then Cousins?

Maybe Aldrich from Kansas is the only one I can think of that might be in the same category.

 

 

I am agreeing with you even if it doesn't sound like it.

By 'big men' do you mean only people 6'11" or taller?

  • Author
Icompletely disagree but whatever, nothing I say is going to change anything. Don't you see that you're not doing any good? You're not helping anything by criticizing so much. How can you criticize and then say you support them? I see nothing wrong with constructive criticism, nothing at all but calling someone a spoiled brat is not constructive. A guy on KSR talked today about the difference in Cal and Gillispie, he said Cal screamed...."Why don't you shoot?" compared to Gillispie screaming ...." Shoot the ball, you idiot" They basically say the same thing but one is constructive and the other is destructive. At least something good comes from being constructive. Your definately not helping the team or the program by criticizing and name calling the players on a public forum.

 

Oh also, my comments were not directed at you Magic. Didn't want you to think I was directly speaking of you because I was speaking to nobody in particular.

 

Fair enough. I have two issues though.

 

1) Never said "spoiled brat" once.

2) Am I calling him an idiot? No I'm saying he acts childish, which is exactly what he needs to be told. I said he made a lot of dumb decisions, which is unarguable. I don't understand how saying those two things about a player is bad? I didn't know the rules to this forum are if you're going to say anything at all, it has to be positive. :rolleyes:

Kentucky won. Sure, they did a lot of things that we all wished they didn't, but they still won, something they probably wouldn't have done under BCG's and Tubby's era. I really don't understand all the negativity.

  • Author
Kentucky won. Sure, they did a lot of things that we all wished they didn't, but they still won, something they probably wouldn't have done under BCG's and Tubby's era. I really don't understand all the negativity.

 

Every team gets criticized, like it or not. It's not like all everyone is saying are bad things. John Wall's fantastic play has been mentioned, Eric Bledsoe's surprisingly good looking jump shot has been praised, and Patterson being Patterson has been praised as well. Problems with Cousins is a tiny matter when it comes to criticizing this team. We could be discussing 100 other issues but that happens to be the one that stands out the most.

I LOVE John Wall. First he got to the line with 2 seconds to play, and secondly he had the composure of a much more mature player than a freshman when he went to the line and sank (2) huge free throws. I mean, c'mon guys..........that was a huge situation to put a freshman in, and he was Mr. Clutch. The kid had ice water in his veins and wanted to be in the fire. The great thing about this team is that Cal will make sure they learn from their mistakes and have continuous correction. Sure, they will stumble a few times along the way, but I would not want to draw UK come March when the brackets are released. This team will be dangerous. I predict that Cousins will be night and day from where he is currently come March. He is with the right coach and teammates. I have nothing to complain about at this point in the season. They have been pushed and tested, and they remain unbeaten, that cannot be disputed.

  • Author
I LOVE John Wall. First he got to the line with 2 seconds to play, and secondly he had the composure of a much more mature player than a freshman when he went to the line and sank (2) huge free throws. I mean, c'mon guys..........that was a huge situation to put a freshman in, and he was Mr. Clutch. The kid had ice water in his veins and wanted to be in the fire. The great thing about this team is that Cal will make sure they learn from their mistakes and have continuous correction. Sure, they will stumble a few times along the way, but I would not want to draw UK come March when the brackets are released. This team will be dangerous. I predict that Cousins will be night and day from where he is currently come March. He is with the right coach and teammates. I have nothing to complain about at this point in the season. They have been pushed and tested, and they remain unbeaten, that cannot be disputed.

 

Good post :thumb:

Derrick Rose's statistics for his one year at Memphis:

 

Minutes - 29.2

Points - 14.9

FG% - 47.7%

3PG% - 33.7%

FT% - 71.2%

Rebounds - 4.5

Assists - 4.7 (1.8/1 ratio)

Turnovers - 2.7

Steals - 1.2

Blocks - 0.4

 

Now here are John Wall's statistics through an obviously shorter stretch at Kentucky:

 

Minutes - 38.0

Points - 19.8

FG% - 53.7%

3PG% - 30.8%

FT% - 80.4%

Rebounds - 4.0

Assists - 6.6 (1.4/1 ratio)

Turnovers - 4.4

Steals - 1.8

Blocks - 1.0

 

So to compare...

Minutes - Wall

Points - Wall, by 5

FG% - Wall, by 6%

3PG% - Rose, by 3%

FT% - Wall, by 9%

Rebounds - Rose, by 0.5

A/T Ratio - Rose, by 0.4

Turnovers - Rose, 1.5 fewer per game

Steals - Wall, by 0.6

Blocks - Wall, by 0.6

 

In Conclusion...

Yes, Wall needs to cut down on his turnovers. But beyond that, admittedly with limited statistical information for John Wall, it appears that Wall might just be better right now. This would be an interesting stat line to follow as the years progresses.

 

I think he will be as good as advertised, but I don't think he will be as good as Derrick Rose. I think Rose had one of the better single-seasons for any player in recent memory in his 1 year at Memphis and I think he will end up being one of the five best point guards of this era, maybe even of all-time.

Varnado will dominate Cousins when they match up. Cousins is not mentally ready, among things, to play in the SEC.

 

Noone will dominate Cousins this season.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.