Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rush's bid for Rams in trouble?

Featured Replies

If Jay-Z can own the Nets with the lyrics he puts out then Rush should be able to own the Rams. Of course, as with everything, most people don't see it that way, but just listen to Jay-Z's lyrics.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Colin Cowherd made a great point. In a league that allows ANY player the second, third, and sometimes fourth chance for much worse offenses...DUI, domestic violence, unlawfully discharging a weapon, felony dog fighting...etc; wants to deny someone of owning a team because of some disparaging comments. No one will ever convince me that those are even in the same ballpark.

 

One could assume that the same players that are against Limbaugh owning a team are the players fully supporting the reinstatement of criminals...regularly.

 

:thumb: Right on the money. You gotta love Cowherd.

Limbaugh already down one vote

 

While a part of me would like to see him get the Rams just to give me a new reason to laugh when he says something stupid, the other part of me hopes his bid goes down in massive flames, because it couldn't happen to a better guy.

Per the article you have referenced, i find it ammusing that the writer referred to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as "prominent blacks". More like prominent shakedown artist. Why would anyone reference these two tools?

  • Author
There is no other context than what you said. However, the perception at the time was that Rush was saying since McNabb is black, he is not very good and overrated.That was not the case.

 

I remember the incident well because I am an Eagles fan and fan of McNabb. Donovan had just come off two horrible games to start the season. Jamarcus Russell type horrendous games. Rush made the comments and was gone the next week. Also remember this is a time when McNabb was early in his career and nowhere near the level he is right now. He is erratic now but a lot more erratic back then. His comments at the time were not as off base as many like to portray. That is all I am saying.

 

Here's the original 2003 ESPN story announcing his resignation: Story

 

In this story, Rush sure does say that he is/was overrated because he's black.

 

And in 2003, Philly was coming off back-to-back trips to the NFC title game, and would go on to do it again that year. I found the comments to be extremely off-base in that light, especially given how few weapons McNabb had to work with.

  • Author
Per the article you have referenced, i find it ammusing that the writer referred to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as "prominent blacks". More like prominent shakedown artist. Why would anyone reference these two tools?

 

I don't know — I think most people, black and white, have figured out that these two self-appointed spokesmen are a joke. Still, that doesn't mean you should throw the baby out with the bathwater.

  • Author
If Jay-Z can own the Nets with the lyrics he puts out then Rush should be able to own the Rams. Of course, as with everything, most people don't see it that way, but just listen to Jay-Z's lyrics.

 

Sure, but Jay-Z isn't nearly the polarizing figure Rush Limbaugh is. That's where the NFL's beef lies. Plus, the NBA has more than its share of controversial owners, and Mr. Stern doesn't concern himself with the behavior of the owners and players at anywhere near the level that the NFL does.

Considering the majority of the players in the NFL are black, you don't see any past comments that might make them pause a bit before agreeing to him being their boss?

 

Plus, given the NFL's deep aversion to what figures to be a Marge Schott-type figure at owner, I don't see any way the owners' group approves it.

 

Jim, would you have a problem if Al Sharpton put in a bid for an NFL team?

Colin Cowherd made a great point. In a league that allows ANY player the second, third, and sometimes fourth chance for much worse offenses...DUI, domestic violence, unlawfully discharging a weapon, felony dog fighting...etc; wants to deny someone of owning a team because of some disparaging comments. No one will ever convince me that those are even in the same ballpark.

One could assume that the same players that are against Limbaugh owning a team are the players fully supporting the reinstatement of criminals...regularly.

 

I agree with the bolded comments. I won't assume that the players against Limbaugh owning a team would support full reinstatement of criminals. To my knowledge, McNabb has never had any legal issues.

I agree with the bolded comments. I won't assume that the players against Limbaugh owning a team would support full reinstatement of criminals. To my knowledge, McNabb has never had any legal issues.

 

I guess I should've said that I haven't heard many other players with issues of these types of players being reinstated. Did I miss that?

I personally can't stand him. But, IMO, if he can afford to buy them then he should be able to. On the other hand, the NFL can pick and choose who they want (much like a fraternity or country club) and if he can't win the popularity contest among them (ironice-right?) then he can't do it.

 

Just because he is rich and well liked by a certain group of people doesn't mean every likes him or has to let him play ball...

Here's the original 2003 ESPN story announcing his resignation: Story

 

In this story, Rush sure does say that he is/was overrated because he's black.

 

And in 2003, Philly was coming off back-to-back trips to the NFC title game, and would go on to do it again that year. I found the comments to be extremely off-base in that light, especially given how few weapons McNabb had to work with.

That's not what he said at all. His exact comment was...

 

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

 

Unless there is another comment in the story I missed saying that Rush said he is overrated because he is black is beyond a stretch.

Here's the original 2003 ESPN story announcing his resignation: Story

In this story, Rush sure does say that he is/was overrated because he's black.

 

And in 2003, Philly was coming off back-to-back trips to the NFC title game, and would go on to do it again that year. I found the comments to be extremely off-base in that light, especially given how few weapons McNabb had to work with.

To clarify he was saying McNabb was overrated by the media because he is black. He was calling out the media. I get the point he was trying to make. Maybe not a smart one, but that is for another debate. Being a Philly fan I can tell you in those back-to-back trips to the NFC title game, McNabb was the QB, but not near as good as what he was being portrayed at the time. Just like Kerry Collins went 13-3 last season, but it was not all because of him. Their defense was the driving force.

  • Author
Jim, would you have a problem if Al Sharpton put in a bid for an NFL team?

 

I would probably have the same feelings as I mentioned in my initial post in this thread. Part of me would want to see it just to see him say/do something stupid (and he would), but the other part of me would like to see him go down in flames.

  • Author
That's not what he said at all. His exact comment was...

 

 

 

Unless there is another comment in the story I missed saying that Rush said he is overrated because he is black is beyond a stretch.

 

I don't know how else you can read that … he said the media overrated McNabb because of his skin color. Is there some other way I should interpret it?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.