Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rush's bid for Rams in trouble?

Featured Replies

"NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons."

 

-Rush Limbaugh

 

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=75&sid=224798&page=0

 

 

To further clarify, I'd have zero problem if the commish comes in and says that the NFL doesn't need a figure like Rush Limbaugh involved in owning any part of an organization. Zero problem.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not what he said at all. His exact comment was...

 

 

 

Unless there is another comment in the story I missed saying that Rush said he is overrated because he is black is beyond a stretch.

 

You nailed it.

I don't know how else you can read that … he said the media overrated McNabb because of his skin color. Is there some other way I should interpret it?

 

Above you said this: In this story, Rush sure does say that he is/was overrated because he's black.

 

When you first read that it gives off the appearance that Rush was saying, "Because McNabb is black, he is overrated." That was also the impression given at the time. Rush was saying McNabb was overrated simply because he was on a team that made his play look a lot better than what it was (which I agree with). The media had given him more credit than he deserved because of their desire to see an African American QB succeed.

Here's the original 2003 ESPN story announcing his resignation: Story

 

In this story, Rush sure does say that he is/was overrated because he's black.

 

And in 2003, Philly was coming off back-to-back trips to the NFC title game, and would go on to do it again that year. I found the comments to be extremely off-base in that light, especially given how few weapons McNabb had to work with.

 

I don't know how else you can read that … he said the media overrated McNabb because of his skin color. Is there some other way I should interpret it?

Then maybe you meant the above (in bold) differently then I interpret. The way I took Rush's comments is the media made him out to be better then he was at the time because they wanted a black QB to excel. If that is what he meant then yes, McNabb was being overrated by the media because he is black. Your comment above makes it sound like Rush thought McNabb was an overrated QB simply because he is black. When you should have said Rush says the media is overrating McNabb because he is black.

"NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons."

 

-Rush Limbaugh

 

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=75&sid=224798&page=0

 

I think this is indicative of the larger problem. Limbaugh does not infrequently dabble on the cusp of overt racism. There is plenty of hypocrisy to go around too, especially regarding the NFL and players with criminal problems, but at the end of the day the NFL gets to decide who does or doesn't get to be associated with the organization. And, for whatever reason, Limbaugh's ownership of a team would likely have far more negative ramifications (economically) for the league than allowing someone like Dante Stallworth to be reinstated. I don't think you have to look further than a group of white, wealthy, predominately Republican (i.e. people who would listen to Limbaugh) have opposed his owning a team for confirmation.

I think this is indicative of the larger problem. Limbaugh does not infrequently dabble on the cusp of overt racism. There is plenty of hypocrisy to go around too, especially regarding the NFL and players with criminal problems, but at the end of the day the NFL gets to decide who does or doesn't get to be associated with the organization. And, for whatever reason, Limbaugh's ownership of a team would likely have far more negative ramifications (economically) for the league than allowing someone like Dante Stallworth to be reinstated. I don't think you have to look further than a group of white, wealthy, predominately Republican (i.e. people who would listen to Limbaugh) have opposed his owning a team for confirmation.

 

In what way do you think his owning a team would have negative ramifications?

In what way do you think his owning a team would have negative ramifications?

 

Economically, I mean.

He's officially been dropped from the group making the bid.

  • Author
In what way do you think his owning a team would have negative ramifications?

 

There would have undoubtedly been a certain segment of fans who would stay away because they wouldn't want to put money in Rush's pocket.

In what way do you think his owning a team would have negative ramifications?

 

I think the media storm surrounding the mere thought of his bidding on a team is indicative of the further scrutiny and unwanted criticism that would come with with his actual ownership. I don't know that it would amount to a substantial number of fans not buying tickets, merchandise, or tuning into games, but it might mean a concerted effort on the part of NFL stakeholders to put out the fires, so to speak, in order to keep Limbaugh from being the catalyst that leads to less revenue. Obviously I don't own a NFL team, but it seems from those who do they don't want him to own one. And on the face of it there doesn't appear to be any sort of an ideological factor to that opposition.

There would have undoubtedly been a certain segment of fans who would stay away because they wouldn't want to put money in Rush's pocket.

 

As there would be some who would buy just because it's him. I think Mike Brown proved in 2005 that if you put out a winner, people will come.

Rush has got what he wanted out of all of this... everybody talking about him.

  • Author
As there would be some who would buy just because it's him. I think Mike Brown proved in 2005 that if you put out a winner, people will come.

 

Politics is polarizing. I see this as no different as how people who were Dixie Chicks fans suddenly decided they weren't anymore once the gals got involved in political things. A certain segment of Rams fans would see association with Rush as the Rams taking a political step, and they would not support it.

 

While Mike Brown is completely inept as an owner, he is not a political figure and that's why it's not necessarily the same phenomena as you would see if Rush was involved in ownership of a team.

Sure, but Jay-Z isn't nearly the polarizing figure Rush Limbaugh is. That's where the NFL's beef lies. Plus, the NBA has more than its share of controversial owners, and Mr. Stern doesn't concern himself with the behavior of the owners and players at anywhere near the level that the NFL does.

 

Doesn't matter what league. There should be heck raised about Jay-Z owning a team too, especially with his lyrics..

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.