Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK is cutting faculty, but....

Featured Replies

RP I don't know what your big problem is with this. Every university does it, not just UK.

 

I agree. I bet you UCLA and UNC are doing some of the same things that UK is doing.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RP I don't know what your big problem is with this. Every university does it, not just UK.

 

If you have read my posts, I admonish the practice nationally. We happen to be in UK's backyard, and the article was about them.

Well then, that makes it perfectly ok......Gillispie had a personal driver, I'm sure the University loved that decision.

 

I bet this is more common than many realize...especially at larger schools.

Vinny Tatum is Pitino's personal driver.

  • Author
RP I don't know what your big problem is with this. Every university does it, not just UK.

 

I think that's the point it's not just the UK does it it is that everyone does it, and the focus should be on academics. I mean like has been posted this is one professor right here for UK next year if Cal gave that money to academics.

After reading all of these post I have some thoughts...

1. UKAA as far as I know pays for all athletic scholarships

2. Winning teams DO MEAN more general donations, ask any AD at a Big Time School.

3. UKAA has given millions to the University over the years

4. Does the UK Medical Center donate to the General Fund?

and the number one thing I have learned is that RP HATES UK :lol:

I did a little digging.

The UKAA is a seperate entity from UK, and does not accept any state money for its normal operation. The only time the UKAA takes any state money is when they have used state money to purchase bonds for construction projects. So the UKAA doing anything, including getting the state money for bonds, does not take one red cent away from the University budget.

 

Therefore it acts alone.

It has given millions of dollars over the years to the University itself.

:cry:

I did a little digging.

The UKAA is a seperate entity from UK, and does not accept any state money for its normal operation. The only time the UKAA takes any state money is when they have used state money to purchase bonds for construction projects. So the UKAA doing anything, including getting the state money for bonds, does not take one red cent away from the University budget.

 

Therefore it acts alone.

It has given millions of dollars over the years to the University itself.

 

We all understand that. It still doesn't make it right. The money could be used in a better way.

The number one thing I have learned is that RP HATES UK :lol:

You're just learning this now?

 

BTW, I feel the same way with Duke and Louisville, if these same practices are taking place. Duke is a private school, so in that way, things are likely a little different.

I think that's the point it's not just the UK does it it is that everyone does it, and the focus should be on academics. I mean like has been posted this is one professor right here for UK next year if Cal gave that money to academics.

How many professors at UK make $30,000?

Just wondering if this was an issue when all the other basketball coaches recieved this perk, or is it because the evil coach Cal is the one recieving it? Seeing who started the thread I would think the latter.

You mean like paying all the athletic expenditures including salaries, taxes, travel, equipment, housing, etc?

 

Seriously, you know that isn't the function of the athletic department nor should it be. The athletic department is a separate entity that receives no public funds and has no obligation to the general budget of the school. Their purpose is to fund athletics and further those departments.

 

It may look bad in this economy, but what some see as wasteful is an investment, an expenditure for future benefit. Offering over the top incentives attracts top coaches, who attract top talent, who bring more success, which sells tickets and merchandise. All of which brings more money into the athletic department coffers. You see the cycle.

 

Agreed 100%, I had a discussion with an associate the other day over this same topic and he wasn't aware that athletic and academic funds do not partner but are individual funds.

I know the money go to the school. The only question I have is , are athletic scholarships payed by the athletic organization or gave out by the academic department of the school? I am not 100% on this.

You're just learning this now?

 

BTW, I feel the same way with Duke and Louisville, if these same practices are taking place. Duke is a private school, so in that way, things are likely a little different.

 

How is it different for a private school when we've already established that the UKAA is it's OWN SEPARATE ENTITY?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.