Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK is cutting faculty, but....

Featured Replies

I think UK is one of only a handful of universities whos athletic dept. is self funded and profitable.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am willing to bet that donations to the university(not athletic dept.) increase when the football and basketball teams do well.

 

I doubt that/

I bet most Universities do the same sort of thing. I have a huge problem with it. You do not lay employees off, then go spend $30,000 on golf. Let him pay it out of his pocket, $30,000 is at least one employee.

 

 

 

What professor is going to work for $30,000?

What professor is going to work for $30,000?

 

How about maintenance, cafeteria, custodial, etc?

The University of Kentucky has 2,852 employees making $30,000 or less.

How about maintenance, cafeteria, custodial, etc?

 

 

 

Those employees are not considered faculty.

I doubt that/

 

 

If that isn't the case then athletic depts. should be eliminated at all schools that are not self sufficient.

I think UK is one of only a handful of universities whos athletic dept. is self funded and profitable.
I've heard that...but really have no idea if it's true or not.
I bet most Universities do the same sort of thing. I have a huge problem with it. You do not lay employees off, then go spend $30,000 on golf. Let him pay it out of his pocket, $30,000 is at least one employee.

 

Professors don't work for $30,000.

 

The University of Kentucky employs a ton of people in Lexington. They bring a lot to the city, but they cannot employ everyone.

 

And finally, the University of Kentucky and the University of Kentucky Athletic Association are not the same entity. Should one business (and let's face it, they're both businesses) pay an employee of another?

Listen to me. John Calipari is a STATE EMPLOYEE that works for the UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY....his salary may come from the Athletic Department, but in the end he answers to the President as does every other employee. IT may be two different coats of fur, but it's the same animal, and it's a joke. I do not say this to pick on UK with this, as I am sure 95% of the universities in the country do this. It's ludicrous that a University can have gobs of money in one department, but lay off people and freeze pay University wide.
It may seem unfair and it may stink but the truth is it's kneejerk to take that naive view because when it comes to the money trail, it just doesn't work that way. The monies in the athletic department do not belong to the University. Just like the UK Medical Center, they are separate entities (businesses who exist on their own, legally) and they have their own separate finances.

 

BTW, Todd took a $95000 bonus last year. :eek:

It may seem unfair and it may stink but the truth is it's kneejerk to take that naive view because when it comes to the money trail, it just doesn't work that way. The monies in the athletic department do not belong to the University. Just like the UK Medical Center, they are separate entities (businesses who exist on their own, legally) and they have their own separate finances.

 

BTW, Todd took a $95000 bonus last year. :eek:

....and shame on him for that. Dr. Ramsey has refused his...and I commend him for that. Truth be told, it is not right in any sense, there is no sugar coating it.
Getting laid off is far from important.

 

I am hoping this is a typo.

I am hoping this is a typo.

 

Oopsy, obviously it is. That's what happens when you watch Shaq lose a 50 yard lead to Michael Phelps while posting. :lol:

On the University's dime there are 73 employees that work in "sports"....58 of which make more than $30K

....and shame on him for that. Dr. Ramsey has refused his...and I commend him for that. Truth be told, it is not right in any sense, there is no sugar coating it.

 

In all fairness, I was wrong on the date. Dr Todd's so called bonus of $95,500 was actually voten on and approved on June 20, 2008, just prior to the last fiscal year.

 

But, if I read this right, it was an annual raise, bringing his salary to $550,000 per year extended through 2011 fiscal year.

 

http://www.universitybusiness.com/newssummary.aspx?news=yes&postid=16136

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.