August 13, 200917 yr Author He opened by saying this took place over 6 years ago and talked about telling the truth only 7 months ago. Well he had to tell the truth to the feds...its a felony not to. Did he bear all 6 years ago, continually referenced 6 years ago as if the statute of limitations runs out on this stuff? Then I thought the 9/11 reference cheapened the whole apology. Look the guy is in a tough spot. He is in an area with a high concentration of catholics, and he likes to display it with Father Bradley on the bench. Abortion is polarizing issue in the country and one in the catholic church. He will have a lot to mend there. I thought he had a real chance to shine here and come off better from it...I just dont think he did.
August 13, 200917 yr Rick handled his presser in typical Pitino fashion. He was contrite and apologetic. However,his biggest problem comes with the fallout within his parish over this. With all of his faults,Rick has tried to maintain a close relationship with the Church. He has stepped on some toes with the introduction of abortion into the discussion.
August 13, 200917 yr He opened by saying this took place over 6 years ago and talked about telling the truth only 7 months ago. Well he had to tell the truth to the feds...its a felony not to. It's a felony to not report to the Feds that you're being extorted?
August 13, 200917 yr He opened by saying this took place over 6 years ago and talked about telling the truth only 7 months ago. Well he had to tell the truth to the feds...its a felony not to. Did he bear all 6 years ago, continually referenced 6 years ago as if the statute of limitations runs out on this stuff? Then I thought the 9/11 reference cheapened the whole apology. Look the guy is in a tough spot. He is in an area with a high concentration of catholics, and he likes to display it with Father Bradley on the bench. Abortion is polarizing issue in the country and one in the catholic church. He will have a lot to mend there. I thought he had a real chance to shine here and come off better from it...I just dont think he did. Well said. :thumb:
August 13, 200917 yr He opened by saying this took place over 6 years ago and talked about telling the truth only 7 months ago. Well he had to tell the truth to the feds...its a felony not to. Did he bear all 6 years ago, continually referenced 6 years ago as if the statute of limitations runs out on this stuff? Then I thought the 9/11 reference cheapened the whole apology. Look the guy is in a tough spot. He is in an area with a high concentration of catholics, and he likes to display it with Father Bradley on the bench. Abortion is polarizing issue in the country and one in the catholic church. He will have a lot to mend there. I thought he had a real chance to shine here and come off better from it...I just dont think he did. To touch on the religious aspect....how do you know that Pitino hadn't confessed this to his priest in the past? How do you know what his relationship with God is? Abortion IS a polarizing issue, but I must ask...are you Catholic? You want Rick to squirm. You don't like him. And you are absolutely delighting in this. You don't care about the university, it's black eye or anything else. You would like to see Rick brought down. I'm not sure of the reasons, but your posting history is reflective of a more than a typical anti-UL bias.
August 13, 200917 yr To touch on the religious aspect....how do you know that Pitino hadn't confessed this to his priest in the past? How do you know what his relationship with God is? Abortion IS a polarizing issue, but I must ask...are you Catholic? You want Rick to squirm. You don't like him. And you are absolutely delighting in this. You don't care about the university, it's black eye or anything else. You would like to see Rick brought down. I'm not sure of the reasons, but your posting history is reflective of a more than a typical anti-UL bias. I'm no judge or jury...not my place. We will all be judged by one and the rest of our opinions really bear no weight on this or any other subject. I however have to wonder...if he was really doing what he tells his players for the 30 years like he said of "tell the truth and the mistake is in your past", why did he wait 6 years to come clean on this? You will not find a bigger Pitino fan anywhere than I am. I hated watching the conference, I don't want to see him squirm and im far from delighting in this...I just have trouble with "coming clean and telling the truth" only after you know everyone will find out.
August 13, 200917 yr He opened by saying this took place over 6 years ago and talked about telling the truth only 7 months ago. Well he had to tell the truth to the feds...its a felony not to. Did he bear all 6 years ago, continually referenced 6 years ago as if the statute of limitations runs out on this stuff? If you look at the situation through his eyes all of those aspects make perfect sense. You don't deal with an emotional issue by reverting to your inital reaction everytime the issue is brought up. For him this an issue of the past and personally he has moved forward I can completely understand his reference to timelines in this scenario.
August 13, 200917 yr I'm no judge or jury...not my place. We will all be judged by one and the rest of our opinions really bear no weight on this or any other subject. I however have to wonder...if he was really doing what he tells his players for the 30 years like he said of "tell the truth and the mistake is in your past", why did he wait 6 years to come clean on this? You will not find a bigger Pitino fan anywhere than I am. I hated watching the conference, I don't want to see him squirm and im far from delighting in this...I just have trouble with "coming clean and telling the truth" only after you know everyone will find out. I have a problem with what he did. But to bring his religious beliefs into question is more than a bit presumptious on the part of some, IMO. One can be a good Catholic, yet make horrible mistakes. I have no idea why he waited. I suspect, had it not been a wackadoo involved, he most likely would never have said anything. But I don't find this to be something that is outrageous. I mean, who ever admits to doing something wrong if they don't get caught? How many men have cheated on their wives, and never said a word? I'm not excusing WHAT he did. I think it's awful. But how many fathers (and mothers for that matter) have cheated on their spouses, only to go home and try to instill values in their children...their OWN children? How many teachers have had transgressions, then go into the classroom and teach YOUR children? The part questioning his religion is certainly offensive to me. I can see where the shots at Pitino are due. Shoot, it's funny if you look at it objectively...like you were watching a movie or a sitcom. But I resent that because Pitino is Catholic, the seemingly "natural" course is to say that he's somehow offended Catholics, or the Church, by his actions. As a Catholic UL fan, HUH? Shoot! He ain't the first Catholic who's gotten drunk, cheated, gotten/paid for an abortion, OR lied to their spouse, withheld the story for a long time. Heck! He's not the first CHRISTIAN to do these things. This has nothing to do with Fr. Bradley. And it has nothing to do with Fr. Bradley's presence at the UL games. But people are trying to tie it all together and create an ever LARGER moral outrage. Isn't the story sordid enough? Why try to make it worse by introducing his religion?
August 13, 200917 yr You know, in all honesty, the real remorse and regret is owed to his family, not any of us. I really think that this press conference and apology was a good thing to do, but whatever torment and anguish Pitino has or does feel isn't for us, and it shouldn't be. It should be for his family. In the overall scheme of things, THEY are the one's who are truely wronged and deserving of his apology. We can speculate till the cows come home, but nothing changes for us unless President Ramsey and Tom Jurich make it so. For his family, I'm sure a LOT has changed. Anyone who wanted "more" from him, only wants to see him squirm and delight in his misery. I agree with this RM, except I would also add the remorse and regret is owed to an unborn baby who had no say in its own life.
August 13, 200917 yr When first heard of this the selfish person that I can be at times thought wow this will hurt his recruiting. I thought how could he go into a family setting and field questions from moms and dads. I felt it would help my team. after some thought I am ashamed of myself for my feelings. My thoughts and prayers go out to the coach and all involved.I hope that everyone in this sitiation heals and comes out of this stronger and a better person. I know its made me look inside myself.
August 13, 200917 yr You know, in all honesty, the real remorse and regret is owed to his family, not any of us. I really think that this press conference and apology was a good thing to do, but whatever torment and anguish Pitino has or does feel isn't for us, and it shouldn't be. It should be for his family. In the overall scheme of things, THEY are the one's who are truely wronged and deserving of his apology. We can speculate till the cows come home, but nothing changes for us unless President Ramsey and Tom Jurich make it so. For his family, I'm sure a LOT has changed. Anyone who wanted "more" from him, only wants to see him squirm and delight in his misery. I'm not a UofL fan by no means, but I agree 110% Rockmom! I always liked Pitino regardless of his current employment but what he did is much more personal with his family, now had he cheated and bet on other teams during basketball season, he would've owed the fans an apology, but not for this.
August 13, 200917 yr If he weren't the head coach he wouldn't owe anyone an apology but his family. Only problem is he is the head coach and has a very high profile job. He certainly owed his employers an apology. Does he not hold his players to a higher standard than the average student, then he also should be held to that standard. I don't feel sorry for him at all, his family is a different story. I have all the sympathy in the world for them. Just another person that has all he could ever want not being satisfied and screwing up several peoples lives.
August 13, 200917 yr If he weren't the head coach he wouldn't owe anyone an apology but his family. Only problem is he is the head coach and has a very high profile job. He certainly owed his employers an apology. Does he not hold his players to a higher standard than the average student, then he also should be held to that standard. I don't feel sorry for him at all, his family is a different story. I have all the sympathy in the world for them. Just another person that has all he could ever want not being satisfied and screwing up several peoples lives. :thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.