August 13, 200917 yr If he weren't the head coach he wouldn't owe anyone an apology but his family. Only problem is he is the head coach and has a very high profile job. He certainly owed his employers an apology. Does he not hold his players to a higher standard than the average student, then he also should be held to that standard. I don't feel sorry for him at all, his family is a different story. I have all the sympathy in the world for them. Just another person that has all he could ever want not being satisfied and screwing up several peoples lives. He didn't have to apologize to anyone publicly (at a press conference or anywhere else), IMO.
August 13, 200917 yr Not sure where the answer was in all that. I was just asking for your opinion, what you thought. Not for answer on Pitino's behalf. Pardon me for trying to answer but failing miserably in your estimation. Succintly....who can know?
August 13, 200917 yr Pardon me for trying to answer but failing miserably in your estimation. Succintly....who can know? Only two, for certain. Perhaps I should have started a poll...restrict it to yes or no. Apologies if I offended you. It wasn't my intention. :thumb:
August 13, 200917 yr I'm not catholic, but I think it is somewhat of an issue for him. Do you think there are people within the catholic community in Jefferson County that are appalled at what he did in regards to abortion? I would think so. It is out there, because he puts it on display every single game with Father Bradley on the bench...I think it is legit. I think Pitino is a fantastic basketball coach. John Clay wrote a piece that touched on his religion, and so forth. Doesn't the Catholic church refuse to support certain political candidates because of their views on abortion? Yet here is a man who displays it openly then pays for an abortion. I see a connection to tying this in regarding religion and ones actions, particularly that who is a prominent public figure.. The Catholic Church DOES oppose abortion, and I don't think the Church, as an institution, endorses or supports political candidates, at least not in my experience. The support or oppose issues, not people. The Catholic Church also has the Sacrament of Penance. It's quite possible to sin greviously and be forgiven. This happened 6 years ago. It's quite possible that Pitino has been absolved. None of us will ever know. I think however appalled area Catholics are, they all do realize this. Whether they choose to forgive him or not is not the issue, relative to his religion. That is between him, his confessor and God. I abhor abortion. But I have reservations about believing wholeheartedly that Pitino gave Sypher $3000 for an abortion. If he did, he's extraordinarily naive, as abortions do not cost that much. I would think that if all the rumors were true, Pitino would not believe a woman he'd met two weeks prior could know she was pregnant with HIS child. I would also question why Sypher would have an abortion if she were out for money. Having the child, if it were his, would net her far more dollars in the long run. She doesn't seem the type to put her children first, so I doubt the mega-child support she could have gotten would have been spent solely on the children. Pitino told her that if she did have it, he'd require a DNA test. I have a STRONG hunch the reason she had an abortion was because she knew it wasn't his. I have a STRONG hunch Pitino knew the same.
August 14, 200917 yr How many rumors were there when he was at UK? Things finally caught up with "slick" Rick. Now we are going to learn what is more important to UL winning or reputation. Exactly! :thumb:
August 14, 200917 yr Rick Pitino is the only reason that UK Basketball came back to life after the Sutton Scandal. If not for Pitino there would have been no Mashburn. If not for Mashburn there would had been no NCAA Tournament runs. Rick Pitino was a childhood hero of mine and he still is. The man made a mistake. It was not his first mistake nor will it be his last. I do not think that anyone who is a real UK fan can look at the man who put UK Basketball back on track and enjoy seeing him and his family go through this. My heart goes out to Pitino and his family in this hard time. As far as the press confrence goes I thought he said what needed to be said. He apologized and acknowleged that it was harmfull to the University and all individuals associated with it. Just like typical Pitino he said all the right things when he needed to. I don't care if the color of your shirt is Blue or Red that is classy. C.C. I can understand what you are saying and respect your opinion. I do appreciate what Pitino did for U.K. basketball, he was the right choice as coach at that time. I wil also say that no one person is bigger than U.K. basketball (or anywhere), the U.K. tradition was there long bfore Pitino arrived asnd it will remain long after any and all of us along with the current coaches are gone. I honestlly do feel for the Pitino family. I cannot however feel any sympathy for Rick Pitino himself, he knew what he was dong and the possible results if something ever got out and he obviously didn't care about that, his family, his job, reputuation or anything else. Rick Pitino is out for Rick Pitino...period. I loved his coaching style at U.K. but frankly thoght he was a pompass jerk then as well. Pitino imo deserves whatever he gets from this, be it his job, respect or whatever other fallout may come out of it. Yes, we all are human and can and do make mistakes but Pitino like anyone else has to face whatever comes from it....this was no ones fault but his own. I do not and will not bash/condemm U.L. administration if they keep him, that is entirely their choice and quite frankly none of my business nor do I care for it to be. I personally wouldn't want him representing my school if I were member of the administration. JMO
August 14, 200917 yr Two thumbs down to the UL admin. Obviously winning bball games is more important than ethics and conduct. I am a coach/teacher, we are held to a higher standard.
August 14, 200917 yr Pitino is just saying what he needs to now, had he been truly sorry he would have came out and admitted it and apologized a long time ago, not after the news broke. . That's absolutely absurd to expect him to have done that.
August 19, 200917 yr Author Looks loke it was President Ramsey who made Pitino go forward with the public apology, which now gives a little light on the fact that I felt he was not that contrite.
August 19, 200917 yr Two thumbs down to the UL admin. Obviously winning bball games is more important than ethics and conduct. I am a coach/teacher, we are held to a higher standard. I'm glad somebody sees it my way.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.