June 17, 200917 yr I'm not saying what he did isn't a big deal I was just showing the other side as well.
June 17, 200917 yr ^ He called the family several times and they have already reached a cash settlement so no one will be suing him. It's a bad situation and he is an idiot for driving drunk but I'm not lumping him in the group with all the others that have messed up such as Vick. Sounds like he made a mistake and a tragic accident happened regardless of his state of mind. I'm not saying what he did isn't a big deal I was just showing the other side as well. I really don't think there is another side. Sure he's sorry but that doesn't bring the victim back.
June 17, 200917 yr So Stallworth had enough wherewithal to flick his lights at the guy, but not enough to slow down, swerve or stop from hitting the guy. Kids, don't drink and drive.
June 17, 200917 yr I really don't think there is another side. Sure he's sorry but that doesn't bring the victim back. This would be boring if everyone had the same points. Ever heard of Devils Advocate?
June 17, 200917 yr This would be boring if everyone had the same points. Ever heard of Devils Advocate? I have, I just like it better when me and the Devils Advocate are on the same side.....
June 17, 200917 yr This would be boring if everyone had the same points. Ever heard of Devils Advocate? Nothing wrong with stirring the pot every now and then. Check half of my post! :thumb:
June 17, 200917 yr How does this compare to when Leonard Little killed someone while driving drunk? He wasn't banned for life and neither should Stallworth. He has a right to earn a living just like any ex-con.
June 17, 200917 yr Regardless of how much alcohol he had drank, the family problems he was having or whom he was talking to on his cellphone, he killed a person. 24 Days in Jail, a lifetime suspended license and 1,000 hours of community service do not seem to be enough to me.
June 17, 200917 yr I understand completely. Stallworth has great lawyers and he got away with murder. I also understand all of the other stuff as well when it comes to the court of law. Consider me the guy who feels guilty and knows that morally it is wrong for me to get behind the wheel after even 1 beer whether it puts me legally over the limit or not. Drinking and driving is not a good combination and in this instance a life was taken and good expensive lawyers got a drunk driver who murdered someone with his car 30 days in jail. Right or wrong, just another situation in where money can buy your justice or freedom. Murder is premeditated. I have a hard time believing he planned on being inebriated at just the right time, to drive down just the right road, to hit just that person. Involuntary manslaughter while driving impaired? Yes. Murder? No. Murder requires intent and I think the facts are pretty clear here that there was no intent.
June 17, 200917 yr Murder is premeditated. I have a hard time believing he planned on being inebriated at just the right time, to drive down just the right road, to hit just that person. Involuntary manslaughter while driving impaired? Yes. Murder? No. Murder requires intent and I think the facts are pretty clear here that there was no intent. :thumb:
June 17, 200917 yr Murder is premeditated. I have a hard time believing he planned on being inebriated at just the right time, to drive down just the right road, to hit just that person. Involuntary manslaughter while driving impaired? Yes. Murder? No. Murder requires intent and I think the facts are pretty clear here that there was no intent. :thumb: I would also like to clarify my position of a lifetime ban by the Commissioner (if I were he). People make mistakes, I realize that. Whether Stallworth had only 2 beers or 20 beers, what he did was an accident. We can debate all day long if the punishment fits the crime in the judicial system. If Stallworth has any compassion, and I assume he does, the mere fact he has to live with that is a terrible punishment to endure the rest of one's life. Oprah had a story on a similar situation. In this case, the victim's father actually helped reduce the sentence to merely nothing, but as a condition the person who took his kid's life (I believe it was his kid), he had to become an active voice against this sort of behavior for his life. Stallworth too would do more for society if he had to become a similar voice against drunk drivers and may have a more profound effect being who he is. Sadly, this type of irresponsible behavior occurs a lot with pro athletes; the Commissioner has a great opportunity to use Stallworth as powerful tool and set a strong example for other pro athletes. Edited June 17, 200917 yr by bugatti
June 17, 200917 yr Murder is premeditated. I have a hard time believing he planned on being inebriated at just the right time, to drive down just the right road, to hit just that person. Involuntary manslaughter while driving impaired? Yes. Murder? No. Murder requires intent and I think the facts are pretty clear here that there was no intent. He intended to drink that much and intended to get behind the wheel. I drink a lot, but what I do when I'm drunk can't be excused by "well, I was drunk, I didn't mean it, so you can't punish me as much." I know- just ask my ex-girlfriend. I understand what you are getting at- it wasn't premeditated, he didn't mean to kill anyone. However, he should be held responsible for getting that drunk. Anyways, his punishment, IMO, should be worse. I mean, look what Vick got, and he was messing with dogs. Not people, dogs. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, anymore. It fits how much you cooperate with the police.
June 17, 200917 yr I heard it was guessed that Stallworth paid the family between $2 million and $6 million to go with the plea.
June 17, 200917 yr Stallworth hit the guy at 7 in the morning. He obviously had more than a few drinks if he was legally drunk at 7 in the morning. Michael Vick also showed remorse and will be doing PETA ads against dogfighting and he also paid for the removal and replacement homes for all of the dogs that were on his property. He still didn't take a human life. I will never see Vick's actions being anywhere near worse than Stallworth's regardless of the cash settlement and remorse Stallworth shows. Are you serious? Michael Vick in my opinion has no remorse about what he did. If he did he would have stopped right after the first time he had a dog fight. I mean he still would be having the dogs fight today if he didn't get caught. The only reason he will be doing PETA ads is to try to improve his image and such so he can plan in the NFL again. No remorse at all from him. Stallworth on the other hand did and has shown remorse. I mean its still not right what he did. He drove drunk and his actions got someone killed, and I do agree he should get more time than that. I think atleast a year or two in his case. However comparing the two about Vick showing remorse for what he did is wrong. There is no remorse there, he had no problem at all with those dogs fight and getting hurt or killed at the time. The only reason he has a problem with it now is because he got caught.
June 17, 200917 yr This just shows the stupidity of our legal system. I'm sorry, but for Mike Vick to spend more time for killing DOGS than someone who killed a PERSON while driving under the influence is ridiculous.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.