Highlands nationally ranked

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of those opinion things I guess.

We'll have to agree to disagree......but I must say this, one thing I have noticed in the last 8 or so seasons here in KY, is that the separation from the top to the rest, seems greater now, than ever.

Aw, can't we save that "contest" and accompanying "show" for another thread at another time? No reason to clutter this thread with that issue and turn it into a side show.

Nice honor for the boys; now they have to back it up. While it's nice to be honored at the beginning, it's more important to be honored at the end.

And I would be remiss for not pointing out that this recognition, while on its face based on the returning starters, would not likely have happened if the past players on the 08 and 07 championship teams had not "got it done".

You know what, you're right.

Anyway, you are correct on that fact that a team usually gets recognition because of recent past success. Has HHS had a team get ranked Nationally before without a State Championship season the year before?

Does anyone know what years HHS has been ranked and what they did the previous year?

I would love to see HHS ranked in the top 10 at the end of this season. That would be 3 in a row baby!!!

Congrats Birds!!!

You know what, you're right.

Anyway, you are correct on that fact that a team usually gets recognition because of recent past success. Has HHS had a team get ranked Nationally before without a State Championship season the year before?

Does anyone know what years HHS has been ranked and what they did the previous year?

I would love to see HHS ranked in the top 10 at the end of this season. That would be 3 in a row baby!!!

Congrats Birds!!!

I believe that the 1996 Birds football team was ranked in the USA today poll. After losing in the state finals to Bowling Green the year before.

I believe that the 1996 Birds football team was ranked in the USA today poll. After losing in the state finals to Bowling Green the year before.

Same thing can be said about the 98 team after losing in the playoffs the year before to Cov Cath. Was the 98 team even ranked. If they weren't, then they should of been. One of the better ones to field a team from top to bottom. IMO

I can maybe concede 2004, but IMO we have been better since the inception of BGP.

When was BGP created? If it was created in 2001, then I'd have to say that (unfortunately) I agree with RockPride on this one. Trinity was better in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006 for sure. 2007 and 2008 are a bit trickier, since both teams did so well. However, I was told privately by some knowledgeable "neutral" BGP'ers who saw both Highands and Trinity play in 2007 and 2008 that Trinity had the better squad both years.

Same thing can be said about the 98 team after losing in the playoffs the year before to Cov Cath. Was the 98 team even ranked. If they weren't, then they should of been. One of the better ones to field a team from top to bottom. IMO

Yes, the 1998 team was ranked. The 1997 team was also ranked, until they were beaten in the playoffs that year. Below is a full listing of Highlands' national rankings:

The Highlands football program has been nationally ranked in the following final national football polls at the conclusion of seven football seasons:

- the USA Today Super 25 (21st) in 1982

- the USA Today Super 25 (21st) in 1996

- the USA Today Super 25 (19th), the Prep Nation poll (15th), the National Sports News Service poll (14th) and the Comp USA poll (16th) in 1998

- the Dick Butkus poll (16th), the Fox Fab 50 poll (45th) and the Tony Bianco "Tony" poll (18th) in 1999

- the USA Today Super 25 (13th), the Tony Bianco "Tony" poll (12th), the Dick Butkus poll (10th) and the Fox Fab 50 poll (47th) in 2000

- the Tony Bianco "Tony" poll (22nd) in 2004

- the MaxPreps/CalPreps poll (21st) in 2007

Of note, HHS won a state title the year before 1982, 1999 and 2000, and did not win a state title the year before 1996, 1998, 2004 and 2007. In other words, HHS finished a year nationally ranked 7 times, and 3 of those 7 years involved HHS winning a state title the previous year.

Edited by jbwill2