Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The New John Wall Thread

Featured Replies

Andy Katz is on the Wall to Kentucky bandwagon as well:

 

Though Wall spent time with Coach K today, and will end up visiting Miami this weekend, the top prospect is expected to be leaning towards the Wildcats.

 

As charismatic as Krzyzewski might be - and Wall’s confidant Brian Clifton indicated that he laid out an incredibly impressive speech to the Wall family - the results in recent years speak for themselves. Calipari produced the No. 1 pick, who is now having great success against the world champion Celtics as a rookie, while Coach K produced a guy who might go play football at Michigan.

 

Katz on Wall

 

 

I still don't understand how Calipari gets credit for Derrick Rose being as talented as he is. Does that make Tubby responsible for Rondo's success?

  • Replies 217
  • Views 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still don't understand how Calipari gets credit for Derrick Rose being as talented as he is. Does that make Tubby responsible for Rondo's success?

 

 

Just the nature of the beast. The more you have to offer during a sales pitch, the more reward. If your recruiting a kid who wants to go to the NBA and you haven't produced any NBAers so to speak, it's going to be alot harder convincing that kid that your the Coach for him.

 

And for fwiw...I don't think any Coach gets to much credit for how talented a kid is. I believe the article said, Calipari produced the #1 pick, not that he made him talented.

Just the nature of the beast. The more you have to offer during a sales pitch, the more reward. If your recruiting a kid who wants to go to the NBA and you haven't produced any NBAers so to speak, it's going to be alot harder convincing that kid that your the Coach for him.

 

Duke has more players that any other college/university playing in the NBA right now with 14, they also have the most in the playoffs with 8. They aren't there because of Coach K, they just happened to choose Duke as a school. I'd be surprised if Coach K didn't alert him to that fact.

Just the nature of the beast. The more you have to offer during a sales pitch, the more reward. If your recruiting a kid who wants to go to the NBA and you haven't produced any NBAers so to speak, it's going to be alot harder convincing that kid that your the Coach for him.

 

And for fwiw...I don't think any Coach gets to much credit for how talented a kid is. I believe the article said, Calipari produced the #1 pick, not that he made him talented.

 

I know the article said it, but I have seen posters use that same logic as reasoning as to why he would/should play for Cal. I just strongly disagree with that logic. I like the DDMO logic a whole lot better. It just seems to me that common sense would say that Coach Cal has nothing to do with Derrick Rose's success against the Celtics in the playoffs. I expected better from Andy Katz, but now I know better than that.

 

Coach Cal produced nothing but a one year scholarship for the great Derrick Rose.

Duke has more players that any other college/university playing in the NBA right now with 14, they also have the most in the playoffs with 8. They aren't there because of Coach K, they just happened to choose Duke as a school. I'd be surprised if Coach K didn't alert him to that fact.

 

 

1st Bolded: Because of Coach K, and the winning tradition he's had.

 

2nd Bolded: And someone else to alert him that Coach K's numbers have been shrinking.

I know the article said it, but I have seen posters use that same logic as reasoning as to why he would/should play for Cal. I just strongly disagree with that logic. I like the DDMO logic a whole lot better. It just seems to me that common sense would say that Coach Cal has nothing to do with Derrick Rose's success against the Celtics in the playoffs. I expected better from Andy Katz, but now I know better than that.

 

Coach Cal produced nothing but a one year scholarship for the great Derrick Rose.

 

I think a coach can better a player's draft stock by putting them in situations that they can succeed and show their true abilities. Is this the case with Rose? No he was going to shine regardless. Will it be the case with Wall? Probably not. Is Cal better than Coach K at doing this? Probably not, I mean certain people thrive in certain situations so some players will produce better under Cal and some under Coach K. However you can't just say that the coach you play for has nothing to do with how successful players are and where they get drafted. Look at Patterson this year. Apparently he is loving playing for Cal and if he could have played for him earlier he would be a sure fire lottery pick.

I think a coach can better a player's draft stock by putting them in situations that they can succeed and show their true abilities. Is this the case with Rose? No he was going to shine regardless. Will it be the case with Wall? Probably not. Is Cal better than Coach K at doing this? Probably not, I mean certain people thrive in certain situations so some players will produce better under Cal and some under Coach K. However you can't just say that the coach you play for has nothing to do with how successful players are and where they get drafted. Look at Patterson this year. Apparently he is loving playing for Cal and if he could have played for him earlier he would be a sure fire lottery pick.

 

That's true to some extent, but the majority of NBA players who went to college made it on their talent and not because of their college coach. That's all I am saying. Really all I am saying is that I just don't like crediting Coach Cal for Derrick Rose's success, but at the same time looking at the players from Duke who are in the NBA, I would say that Coach K is less than 5% of the reason those 14 guys are in the NBA. Either you can play or you can't, IMHO.

 

Patterson is either cut out for the pros or he isn't, just like Rondo was.

It's pretty cut and dry. If you go to a school/system where you can showcase your talents, you have a better chance of not only getting drafted, but being drafted a little higher. And it's no secret, the higher your picked, the more $$$ there is. Here's a question: What UK player benefited the most this past year because there wasn't to many scoring options?

According to official blog friend Bomani Jones, John Wall’s visit to Duke has been postponed to next week. The reason? Coach K got stuck in New York as part of his book tour (yes I am serious) and the visit was postponed as he was not able to get back.

 

-KSR

According to official blog friend Bomani Jones, John Wall’s visit to Duke has been postponed to next week. The reason? Coach K got stuck in New York as part of his book tour (yes I am serious) and the visit was postponed as he was not able to get back.

 

-KSR

 

No way Coach K stands up the #1 recruit in the country to sign a few books. If this actually happened Wall is a Wildcat, IMO.

Andy Katz is on the Wall to Kentucky bandwagon as well:

 

Though Wall spent time with Coach K today, and will end up visiting Miami this weekend, the top prospect is expected to be leaning towards the Wildcats.

 

As charismatic as Krzyzewski might be - and Wall’s confidant Brian Clifton indicated that he laid out an incredibly impressive speech to the Wall family - the results in recent years speak for themselves. Calipari produced the No. 1 pick, who is now having great success against the world champion Celtics as a rookie, while Coach K produced a guy who might go play football at Michigan.

 

Katz on Wall

I wish katz would've mentioned Final Fours, Titles, Gold Medals, and POY honors as well.

2nd Bolded: And someone else to alert him that Coach K's numbers have been shrinking.

 

Are they? They won 30 games this year, and happened to win the ACC.

Are they? They won 30 games this year, and happened to win the ACC.

I am with you on this one, "RockPride".

 

Why do all these people think Duke is down? Yes, Carolina is way up, but Duke has been right there.

I am with you on this one, "RockPride".

 

Why do all these people think Duke is down? Yes, Carolina is way up, but Duke has been right there.

 

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Devils haven't won a title since 2001, and although they went to the Final Four in 2004, their relevance as a contender this decade doesn't stand in the shadow of the Duke of the 90s.

 

I don't think it means necessarily down, they've seemed to be one player away for a long time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.