Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question about R.J. Corman and UK

Featured Replies

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to how/why the R.J. Corman private jet was chosen to pick John Calipari up.

 

I'm just curious how that came to be. Does Corman contribute money to the program? Did UK contract the plane for the flight?

 

Anyone know anything about this?

I would have to think Corman is one of the major contributors for the program, but I don't know that for sure.

  • Author
I would have to think Corman is one of the major contributors for the program, but I don't know that for sure.

 

That's what I would speculate, but I was just curious.

My guess is that his biggest contribution is the use of his airplanes for recruiting and such. I believe when Coach Calipari flew out to Portland for the Nike Hoops Summit, it was aboard one of RJ Corman's jets.

I would have to think Corman is one of the major contributors for the program, but I don't know that for sure.

 

Considering what it took to fly the jet from Memphis to Lexington couldn't much to cheep.That in itself is a contribution to the program.

Not familiar with Corman. What's his cash flow through?

Not familiar with Corman. What's his cash flow through?

He's a railroad guy I believe.

R.J. Corman is a big time railroad magnate based out of Nicholasville. We pass his

"hangar" every time we go to Lexington. He has more than 1 jet and a helicopter and they are a deep red color. I'd love to be related to him.

 

I thought I read or heard something to the effect that he has never donated a dime to the program, but that he is a big time UK fan. I could be wrong, but I know I heard something along those lines. I believe the length of his donations has been the purchase of season tickets. It's something worth looking into.

Corman's company travels all across the world doing railroad track repairs. Being the company was fortunate enough to get started before anyone else caught on to this idea he basically has a monopoly over it and not only has made a living for himself and family but has pretty much made 100 livings. Has his own hangar, along with his own airstrip. Has about seven planes and helicopters, they include a couple copters, two charter jets, and a couple small cesna type planes I believe. For a while now University of Kentucky officals (predominantly coaches like the b ball coach) use his charter jets and probably pilot whenever they go out of town. Since the University does not own their own plane, I guess this is a better alternative than flying commercially and certainly is more appealing I guess when it comes to things such as recruiting. Not sure on the donation situation but RJ's contributions are certainly not to be under appreciated.

RJ Corman came along during the time of the hype of "Unions" in the work force. Corman did jobs that Union workers wouldn't do. He made it big this way because the railroad kept him around to do multiple jobs. I hope no one thinks I am putting him down, I am just was letting everyone know some history behind RJ Corman. I applaud any one that makes a hard day living then makes it big with a shovel and a pick in his hand. Now he is fling UK's coach around in jets and living on a huge horse farm right outside of Lexington.

My source is a retired railroad worker that knows him personally.

R.J. does have some serious toys...

RJ started out with a backhoe and a shovel. He is a smart guy who is a very hard worker and built an empire.

  • Author
RJ started out with a backhoe and a shovel. He is a smart guy who is a very hard worker and built an empire.

 

Looking from the outside - this is the impression I have of him.

I doubt that UK is getting these services for free.

R.J. Corman actually has a "for hire" charter air travel business.

http://www.rjcorman.com/aviation.htm

 

I would imagine that UK pays RJ Corman to be their charter .. and they probably get a good deal ... but I doubt that they get it for free. Private (jet) air travel is extremely expensive.

I doubt that UK is getting these services for free.

R.J. Corman actually has a "for hire" charter air travel business.

http://www.rjcorman.com/aviation.htm

 

I would imagine that UK pays RJ Corman to be their charter .. and they probably get a good deal ... but I doubt that they get it for free. Private (jet) air travel is extremely expensive.

 

Unless he gets "other considerations," which is how college athletics works.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.