Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

All-Time Wins

Featured Replies

Do people really get their shorts in a bunch over this stuff? I guess so.

 

Not sure. It is superflous to my life whether UK has the top spot or not.

 

However I just point out the simple articles that are easy to find that tell the WHOLE story between both schools about these things.

 

Just like all the facts to be in play. :thumb::walk:

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, so your point is moot...

 

7>2

 

No, it is not moot. But your little 7>2 thing still has zero to do with this discussion, making it the moot point.

 

And I'm supposed to believe UK fans aren't arrogant … :rolleyes:

I found this on Jon Scott's Big Blue History site. He indicates that the win that was added was actually one over Louisville.

 

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/digging.html

 

Also, from looking at the records, UK has two wins over Lexington YMCA, one win over Lexington High, two wins over Ashland YMCA, one win over Mexico YMCA, one win over Louisville YMCA, and one win over what may erroneously be labeled Louisville YMHA. They went 1-1 against Lexington High, 2-5 against Lexington YMCA, 2-0 against Ashland YMCA, 1-0 against Mexico YMCA, 1-0 against Louisville YMCA, 1-0 against Louisville YMHA. They played two other YMCA teams, going 0-1 against New Albany YMCA, and 0-2 against Cincinnati YMCA.

 

All in all, UK was 8-10 against high school teams and YMCAs. So an adjusted record without those would put UK at 1,980-625-1.

 

That is one of the most amusing things I have read in a long time.

No, it is not moot. But your little 7>2 thing still has zero to do with this discussion, making it the moot point.

 

And I'm supposed to believe UK fans aren't arrogant … :rolleyes:

 

 

Jim, I'm with you about 95% of the time.

 

And UK has their share of arrogant fans. As does UofL, Duke, UNC, OSU, ND and just about anyplace else that you can mention. Well, to clarify, I have not yet run into an arrogant Prairie View fan.

 

We just happen to be in a place (The Bluegrass state) and a forum (BGP) that has a preponderance of Wildcat faithful. Some of them are bound to be arrogant.

 

When I first came to Kentucky in the early 1970s, I heard the argument that UK basketball fans were the way they were because the Commonwealth had relatively few "other things" to hang its hat on. Being a bit of a conceited outsider at the time, that seemed on the surface to be an interesting and possibly a valid concept. The longer I stayed and the more people I met, the less appeal that rationale had for me.

That is one of the most amusing things I have read in a long time.

It was a different time of course, but yeah, it's funny to know that UK is 8-10 in official games against non-colleges. I do agree with Jim that it seems silly to count games against such opponents, but it is worth noting that the teams appeared to be on a level ground. I think we reject the notion that those teams could be competitive when that appears to not be the case.

And UK has their share of arrogant fans. As does UofL, Duke, UNC, OSU, ND and just about anyplace else that you can mention. Well, to clarify, I have not yet run into an arrogant Prairie View fan.

 

We just happen to be in a place (The Bluegrass state) and a forum (BGP) that has a preponderance of Wildcat faithful. Some of them are bound to be arrogant.

 

Absolutely true. And IMO, it's what the Ignore setting in the User CP is for. There are several users (not more than 10) that I am able to tell over a certain amount of time that they are never going to say something of any worth, and so I ignore them and never have to worry about reading the nonsense they say. It might be significantly higher for a non-UK fan on here, but it makes the experience much more enjoyable.

It wasn't that uncommon in the early 1900's to play high school or private teams, a lot of college football teams did this, just not positive they added to their wins total. I'd hate for everyone to act like UK and UNC are the only ones who have done this. It wasn't like there were 1,000's of college teams without reach 90 years ago like today and the transportation issue is another factor.

It was a different time of course, but yeah, it's funny to know that UK is 8-10 in official games against non-colleges. I do agree with Jim that it seems silly to count games against such opponents, but it is worth noting that the teams appeared to be on a level ground. I think we reject the notion that those teams could be competitive when that appears to not be the case.

 

I don't see the big deal with it. There were obvious wins (and losses) that weren't on the official records. Correcting that is fine with me, regardless of the motivation. It's also surprising to see how those teams fared vs. competition that I would have assumed to be easy wins.

 

Also, KU is knocking on the door, and could game some real ground next season.

Looks like UNC will be passing UK soon...unfortunely.

 

Why? UNC is not going to have as great of a team as they have had the last two years. They will be very talented, but won't be as good. They are going to start losing some more games now. Then if Meeks and Patterson stay, then UK next year should be one of the better teams as well, especially if some of these other recruits come. So I don't think UNC will be passing us for awhile, its probably going to stay around this margin for awhile, because I don't see either team picking up to much ground on the other now.

Wow, this is interesting stuff. Great Thread!

 

Dragonfire insightful stuff, Schue as well.

 

Thanks

No, it is not moot. But your little 7>2 thing still has zero to do with this discussion, making it the moot point.

 

And I'm supposed to believe UK fans aren't arrogant … :rolleyes:

 

It is absolutely moot. If UK and UNC both added wins to their total like you say, then what does it matter??? What do you care about all time wins anyway? Your team is about 15 years worth of basketball behind the Big Blue Nation. 7>2.

It is absolutely moot. If UK and UNC both added wins to their total like you say, then what does it matter??? What do you care about all time wins anyway? Your team is about 15 years worth of basketball behind the Big Blue Nation. 7>2.

 

It matters because it's petty. No matter who's doing it.

 

Two can play your little game: Most penalized school in NCAA history. :sssh:

Ouch!

 

Good one Jim.

Looking a the top 10 this way points out why some teams are there and points out that some teams are just "WOW", teams.

 

TEAM First Season (?* - Best I can Tell)

 

Kansas 1898

Syracuse 1900

Kentucky 1903

Duke 1906

St. Johns 1908

North Carolina 1910

Louisville 1916

Western Kentucky 1919

UCLA 1920

UNLV 1960 (? - School did not open until 1957)

 

Some of the teams in the top ten have been playing several years less than so above them, and below them.

 

I found value in this, at least I found it interesting. Hopefully you will also.

Looking a the top 10 this way points out why some teams are there and points out that some teams are just "WOW", teams.

 

TEAM First Season (?* - Best I can Tell)

 

Kansas 1898

Syracuse 1900

Kentucky 1903

Duke 1906

St. Johns 1908

North Carolina 1910

Louisville 1916

Western Kentucky 1919

UCLA 1920

UNLV 1960 (? - School did not open until 1957)

 

Some of the teams in the top ten have been playing several years less than so above them, and below them.

 

I found value in this, at least I found it interesting. Hopefully you will also.

 

This uses the teams from highest winning percentage and not total wins. Thats why UNLV is on there.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.