April 8, 200917 yr 7>2 Of course, that has zero to do with UK being so petty and caught up in this silly all-time wins list that they would invest the time and money to go dig up wins over high school teams from 90 years ago. UNC had no problem finding more games as well. It wasn't just a one way street Jim. I think they both ran out of any games they have ever played and there should be no more to find. I am impressed with the fact that the state of Kentucky has 3 teams listed in the top 17. Never said it was a one-way street. I guess it would be too much to ask for UK to take the high road and say, "That's OK, we're secure with ourselves. Go ahead, UNC, you can be petty about this and go find wins over high school teams to count on this list." Counting wins over HS and YMCA teams is just plain sad. Doesn't matter who's doing it.
April 8, 200917 yr Of course, that has zero to do with UK being so petty and caught up in this silly all-time wins list that they would invest the time and money to go dig up wins over high school teams from 90 years ago. Never said it was a one-way street. I guess it would be too much to ask for UK to take the high road and say, "That's OK, we're secure with ourselves. Go ahead, UNC, you can be petty about this and go find wins over high school teams to count on this list." Counting wins over HS and YMCA teams is just plain sad. Doesn't matter who's doing it. I'd say the Heels have a few wins over the Mayberry School for the Blind on their rap sheet...
April 8, 200917 yr Syracuse has really climbed the ladder over the last few years. I remember seeing this several years back and they were behind both Temple and St. John's. I was very much surprised to find out they were the fifth-winningest program. They probably don't get enough recognition as a top-tier program. True... I also feel like looking at the all-time winning percentage is a better gauge than total wins. Not all programs started at the same time, so it's really hard to just like at the total amount of wins.
April 8, 200917 yr Counting wins over HS and YMCA teams is just plain sad. Doesn't matter who's doing it. Just curious, you wouldn't happen to know how many they gained by doing that? What year did this happen?
April 8, 200917 yr Just curious, you wouldn't happen to know how many they gained by doing that? What year did this happen? I seem to recall it happening in 1990 or 91; during the probation years. Not sure what the number was (a dozen or so seems to stick out in my head), but I remember both schools doing it. UK had lost the lead during the probation years, so they dug up a few extra, and UNC in response did the same thing.
April 8, 200917 yr True... I also feel like looking at the all-time winning percentage is a better gauge than total wins. Not all programs started at the same time, so it's really hard to just like at the total amount of wins. The Top 20 by Win Percentage: 1 - Kentucky - 1,988-635-1 (.758) 2 - North Carolina - 1,984-703-0 (.738) 3 - Kansas - 1,970-766-0 (.720) 4 - UNLV - 1,058-429-0 (.711) 5 - UCLA - 1,672-726-0 (.697) 6 - Duke - 1,876-815-0 (.697) 7 - Syracuse - 1,753-806-0 (.685) 8 - WKU - 1,602-780-0 (.673) 9 - St. John's - 1,686-868-0 (.660) 10 - Louisville - 1,587-831-0 (.656) 11 - Utah - 1,637 -858-0 (.656) 12 - Illinois - 1,609-853-0 (.654) 13 - Arizona - 1,568-858-1 (.646) 14 - Notre Dame - 1,651-908-1 (.645) 15 - Arkansas - 1,487-822-0 (.644) 16 - Indiana - 1,641-909-0 (.644) 17 - Missouri State - 1,498-833-0 (.643) 18 - UCONN - 1,499-839-0 (.641) 19 - Temple - 1,711-960-0 (.641) 20 - Villanova - 1,505-850-0 (.639)
April 8, 200917 yr Just curious, you wouldn't happen to know how many they gained by doing that? What year did this happen? There may also have been another time in the late '90s, but I'm not as sure.
April 8, 200917 yr I seem to recall it happening in 1990 or 91; during the probation years. Not sure what the number was (a dozen or so seems to stick out in my head), but I remember both schools doing it. UK had lost the lead during the probation years, so they dug up a few extra, and UNC in response did the same thing. I'm trying to find a news story on it, but all I can find is other discussion of it. One of the places mentioned UK finding one in 1990, and three back in the 60's when they were racing Kansas to the 1,000 mark (only two of those were approved). I remember reading about the Kansas one in a book.
April 8, 200917 yr I seem to recall it happening in 1990 or 91; during the probation years. Not sure what the number was (a dozen or so seems to stick out in my head), but I remember both schools doing it. UK had lost the lead during the probation years, so they dug up a few extra, and UNC in response did the same thing. Ok, so your point is moot... 7>2
April 8, 200917 yr Of course, that has zero to do with UK being so petty and caught up in this silly all-time wins list that they would invest the time and money to go dig up wins over high school teams from 90 years ago. Never said it was a one-way street. I guess it would be too much to ask for UK to take the high road and say, "That's OK, we're secure with ourselves. Go ahead, UNC, you can be petty about this and go find wins over high school teams to count on this list." Counting wins over HS and YMCA teams is just plain sad. Doesn't matter who's doing it. I certainly can't disagree with your sentiment. I'm not sure if this is the place or not to air something along the same lines. Right after Duke won it's 3rd NCAA title, the UNC Athletic Department began to promote/print that they were "Four Time National Champions." When I inquired from a Tar Heel fan why his cap said that, he replied, "Because we have four titles." When I told him there were only 3 NCAA titles I was aware of he responded, "We won one in 1924." Oh, so you mean a Helms Foundation title awarded years after the fact through research and evaluation? When he replied yes I told said, "Cool. That means that we at UK are 9 Time National Champions!" :clap: I guess I told that to say the hypocritical way in which many top flight programs promote seniority is more than a little on the ridiculous side. :thumb:
April 8, 200917 yr The Top 20 by Win Percentage: 1 - Kentucky - 1,988-635-1 (.758) 2 - North Carolina - 1,984-703-0 (.738) 3 - Kansas - 1,970-766-0 (.720) 4 - UNLV - 1,058-429-0 (.711) 5 - UCLA - 1,672-726-0 (.697) 6 - Duke - 1,876-815-0 (.697) 7 - Syracuse - 1,753-806-0 (.685) 8 - WKU - 1,602-780-0 (.673) 9 - St. John's - 1,686-868-0 (.660) 10 - Louisville - 1,587-831-0 (.656) 11 - Utah - 1,637 -858-0 (.656) 12 - Illinois - 1,609-853-0 (.654) 13 - Arizona - 1,568-858-1 (.646) 14 - Notre Dame - 1,651-908-1 (.645) 15 - Arkansas - 1,487-822-0 (.644) 16 - Indiana - 1,641-909-0 (.644) 17 - Missouri State - 1,498-833-0 (.643) 18 - UCONN - 1,499-839-0 (.641) 19 - Temple - 1,711-960-0 (.641) 20 - Villanova - 1,505-850-0 (.639) :thumb: Thanks, I like seeing the total wins and the percentage.
April 8, 200917 yr There may also have been another time in the late '90s, but I'm not as sure. I found this on Jon Scott's Big Blue History site. He indicates that the win that was added was actually one over Louisville. http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/digging.html Also, from looking at the records, UK has two wins over Lexington YMCA, one win over Lexington High, two wins over Ashland YMCA, one win over Mexico YMCA, one win over Louisville YMCA, and one win over what may erroneously be labeled Louisville YMHA. They went 1-1 against Lexington High, 2-5 against Lexington YMCA, 2-0 against Ashland YMCA, 1-0 against Mexico YMCA, 1-0 against Louisville YMCA, 1-0 against Louisville YMHA. They played two other YMCA teams, going 0-1 against New Albany YMCA, and 0-2 against Cincinnati YMCA. All in all, UK was 8-10 against high school teams and YMCAs. So an adjusted record without those would put UK at 1,980-625-1.
April 8, 200917 yr I seem to recall it happening in 1990 or 91; during the probation years. Not sure what the number was (a dozen or so seems to stick out in my head), but I remember both schools doing it. UK had lost the lead during the probation years, so they dug up a few extra, and UNC in response did the same thing. Here's a good look at the story (from a UK perspective of course): http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/digging.html It's interesting that BOTH schools did some digging around that same time frame. I don't know if your 12 number is accurate (I thought it was more like 5 or 7) but I can't seem to dig it out anywhere. As I pointed out a moment ago it's interesting from both sides. Here's a synopsis of what UNC did (like UK): The following year, North Carolina finished up some research they were doing to fill in the sites and dates of all their games from 1911 up to 1938 by announcing that the NCAA had agreed to add five victories and one defeat to their record. Two student assistants did the research by looking over microfilm of the Greensboro News & Record and the local Daily Tar Heel student newspaper. They discovered that there were unrecorded victories over the Durham YMCA (22-16 in 1920 and 40-5 in 1925) and the Durham Elks (46-27 and 51-12 in 1925). They also discovered that a game against Duke which had been listed as a loss was actually a victory for the Tar Heels. In addition, an unrecorded loss from the 1921 season was discovered against the Durham YMCA (41-18).
April 8, 200917 yr Here's a good look at the story (from a UK perspective of course): http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/digging.html It's interesting that BOTH schools did some digging around that same time frame. I don't know if your 12 number is accurate (I thought it was more like 5 or 7) but I can't seem to dig it out anywhere. As I pointed out a moment ago it's interesting from both sides. Here's a synopsis of what UNC did (like UK): The following year, North Carolina finished up some research they were doing to fill in the sites and dates of all their games from 1911 up to 1938 by announcing that the NCAA had agreed to add five victories and one defeat to their record. Two student assistants did the research by looking over microfilm of the Greensboro News & Record and the local Daily Tar Heel student newspaper. They discovered that there were unrecorded victories over the Durham YMCA (22-16 in 1920 and 40-5 in 1925) and the Durham Elks (46-27 and 51-12 in 1925). They also discovered that a game against Duke which had been listed as a loss was actually a victory for the Tar Heels. In addition, an unrecorded loss from the 1921 season was discovered against the Durham YMCA (41-18). All of this is getting ridiculous. Just keep it here. Kinda like me beating my cousin the other night made me over the 1,000 mark on my padio. I am now 1,001-0 there, lets see one of you all pull up articles and prove me wrong.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.