March 24, 200917 yr We discussed this question today at work. While I personally feel they'll have BG back, but I'm perplexed by the silence, and I'll admit that I've never been a fan of his from the get go... one has to wonder why Barnhardt isn't addressing this issue. IF it was firm that BG was coming back, it would not be an unusual move for Barnhardt to say that in public. "He's doing a good job with our program... we believe in Coach G... we have no plans in parting ways, etc". We've had press on TV for pete's sake, saying he's gone. Why wouldn't the administration address the speculation and put it to rest? Are they waiting on the NIT? Are they having discussions with certain boosters? Are they waiting on BCG to give his own opinion? If it was a done deal that BG was staying, I think Barnhardt would be speaking up. Again, the silence is an interesting aspect of this rumor mill.
March 24, 200917 yr One thing I did read on a site most on here frequent for UK news, is that if Gillispie is back, Meeks will go pro. I really don't know if I believe it or not, but that would be interesting. I almost think Barnhart needs to involve Patterson, Meeks, and Miller in the decision, as they are extremely vital to the future of the program. Meeks will be making a big mistake by going pro. Will be second round draft pick at best only first round picks get guaranted money. Think Coach G should get one more year at least. Give the man a chance to coach with his players. The players he got were not the kind of talent it takes to win championships.
March 24, 200917 yr :thumb: Absolutely. This is the same thing they did when half the state wanted Rich Brooks on the first plane out of Lexington. 'We don't evaluate a coaches status until the end of the the season.' Mitch has been consistent on this. I know UK fans want an answer, but I admire Mitch for maintaining his consistency. The media and fans are creating this distraction, not the team, not the coach and not administration. I agree with you. Just like anyone else his annual evaluation is upcoming. Be patient people.
March 24, 200917 yr A few observations from the comments in this thread: If the players are the influential decision makers in whether a coach stays or goes, it's a terrible, terrible precedent to start. If a player's father/mother/uncle are saying that a player won't return if a coach stays, it's again, a terrible precedent to lay down The fans 100% have a lot to do with what happens to incoming recruits. Fan support is important, and when the chips are down, it's vital. To see the fans completely turn on not only the coach, but various players will hurt a lot. And, if BCG is gone so soon after Tubby left, it really wouldn't be too far a leap that UK fans have a reputation of running the show. What decent coach would want to come to UK? Barnhardt & Todd have not only basketball to deal with, but UK athletics as a whole, and the University as a whole (including athletics) respectively. Basketball isn't the only thing that matters to the institution. If I were BCG, and I honestly wouldn't have had 1/2 the patience he's had with the fan base. I'd have had a few choice words for them by now.
March 25, 200917 yr Rockmom - Those are interesting points. I believe that the sports world knows KY basketball fans are harsh, have unrealistic expectations, and will turn quickly on a coach. Tubby made that very clear. Dick Vitale, Izzo, and others spoke opening about coaching at UK and how it wasn't a very favorable situation due to the demands and stress. I think Gillispie came here thinking he'd turn things around quickly. When that doesn't happen at UK (basketball), folks aren't going to be patient. They never have been. Sutton was GONE quickly and we "rebounded" with Pitino. I wonder if an interim coach is necessary at UK? Perhaps someone to come in and take the heat/controversy of a coaching change before we can embrace someone to truly coach. I agree with your take on player and parental input. I can't imagine and feel positive that Barnhardt and Todd are not considering any of this that has been rumored. Now, boosters.... that's another story. A program is not going to hire or fire a coach based on parents and what they have to say. Otherwise, coaching would probably be in a state of flux at all programs at all levels. I didn't like Sutton from the get go and haven't like BG. Didn't understand the hire. However, I know that I'm a fan and my livlihood isn't based on UK basketball. My paycheck isn't based on how well athletics succeed. It's impossible for all of us to know what is happening behind the scenes. One thing is sure. Sooner or later, we'll all know who our coach is going to be. If BG does come back next year and the results are the same. I don't think there'll be any debate.... pack the moving van.
March 25, 200917 yr This is not the fans doing RM! If you've been paying attention to the things that have transpired you'd realize that. It is not his on court performance that has landed him in hot water, it's the simple every day tasks like being a decent human being.
March 25, 200917 yr A few observations from the comments in this thread: If the players are the influential decision makers in whether a coach stays or goes, it's a terrible, terrible precedent to start. If a player's father/mother/uncle are saying that a player won't return if a coach stays, it's again, a terrible precedent to lay down The fans 100% have a lot to do with what happens to incoming recruits. Fan support is important, and when the chips are down, it's vital. To see the fans completely turn on not only the coach, but various players will hurt a lot. And, if BCG is gone so soon after Tubby left, it really wouldn't be too far a leap that UK fans have a reputation of running the show. What decent coach would want to come to UK? Barnhardt & Todd have not only basketball to deal with, but UK athletics as a whole, and the University as a whole (including athletics) respectively. Basketball isn't the only thing that matters to the institution. If I were BCG, and I honestly wouldn't have had 1/2 the patience he's had with the fan base. I'd have had a few choice words for them by now. :thumb: I agree on all points!
March 25, 200917 yr This is not the fans doing RM! If you've been paying attention to the things that have transpired you'd realize that. It is not his on court performance that has landed him in hot water, it's the simple every day tasks like being a decent human being. Those are the very things that prevent me from being a fan of BGs! The same things that prevented me from supporting Sutton. The very things that I was proud of in Tubby Smith. Whoever KYs coach is, he must be able to lead by example. If I'm a parent of a recruit (and I've been the parent of a college recruit in another sport), I'm looking at that coach to see what kind of a person is going to be teaching and guiding my child. Gillispie doesn't fit that mold for me. Just my personal opinion.
March 25, 200917 yr Tim Brando says: Gillispie is out at Kentucky; Izzo, Donovan, Calipari targeted. Izzo would never leave MI State. Donovan had an opportunity and appeared to be confused about what he wanted. I think that battle of emotions left him wanting to stay right where he is. Calipari ? Again, I think BG is staying. I still ponder why Barnhardt isn't backing that up though.
March 25, 200917 yr One thing I did read on a site most on here frequent for UK news, is that if Gillispie is back, Meeks will go pro. I really don't know if I believe it or not, but that would be interesting. I almost think Barnhart needs to involve Patterson, Meeks, and Miller in the decision, as they are extremely vital to the future of the program. While I'm not disagreeing that you read that somewhere that would surprise me. He's allowed shooting as much as he wants. He forces terrible shots and stays in the game.
March 25, 200917 yr Just a thought on this as far as the leverage statement goes. It does make sense that maybe Todd and Barnhart are letting BCG see how it feels to be on his own. With the statement he made in the paper they may just be letting him sweat it out and see how it feels when your boss is really ticked off at you.
March 25, 200917 yr This is not the fans doing RM! If you've been paying attention to the things that have transpired you'd realize that. It is not his on court performance that has landed him in hot water, it's the simple every day tasks like being a decent human being. I don't know what you are using as a basis for being a decent human being here. I think if you are only talking about his demeanor with the media, you are missing a lot. I have saw him at high school games if which he was there looking at players and tons of kids come up to talk or get his autograph and he was very kind to all of them even though it was during the game. I bet Pitino wouldn't have done that at all. Also BG does a lot of things that because of the way he is with the media never comes out. He donates money to different causes and is generally a good guy. All of these coaches are set in their ways about things and thats the way they are. If the several games UK lost on a last second shots this year were reversed and they had won these threads would not be on here at all.
March 25, 200917 yr A few observations from the comments in this thread: If the players are the influential decision makers in whether a coach stays or goes, it's a terrible, terrible precedent to start. If a player's father/mother/uncle are saying that a player won't return if a coach stays, it's again, a terrible precedent to lay down The fans 100% have a lot to do with what happens to incoming recruits. Fan support is important, and when the chips are down, it's vital. To see the fans completely turn on not only the coach, but various players will hurt a lot. And, if BCG is gone so soon after Tubby left, it really wouldn't be too far a leap that UK fans have a reputation of running the show. What decent coach would want to come to UK? Barnhardt & Todd have not only basketball to deal with, but UK athletics as a whole, and the University as a whole (including athletics) respectively. Basketball isn't the only thing that matters to the institution. If I were BCG, and I honestly wouldn't have had 1/2 the patience he's had with the fan base. I'd have had a few choice words for them by now. :thumb: A good post and I respect your opinion.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.