Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does Billy Gillispie deserve another season?

Does Gillispie deserve another season? 115 members have voted

  1. 1. Does Gillispie deserve another season?

    • Yes, he deserves next season.
      58%
      67
    • No, fire him at seasons end.
      41%
      48

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I say no...you shouldn't be playing worse ball at the end of the season than at the beginning. That screams "coach" to me.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he keeps up his stubborn ways, in addition to his habit of two hour hard practices on game day, what stud recruit would possibly want to play for him? The guy's thinking doesn't make sense sometimes.

No, but I think it will hurt worse if you fire him now...

No, but I think it will hurt worse if you fire him now...

I agree. They're stuck in a situation with that option. I wish he would simply resign and allow them to move on to another coach who is not as puzzling as BCG. I don't like the image he has created for UK. He comes off as being a jerk sometimes, makes head scratching game decisions, has (it appears) a bad relationship with his team, and really seems to be not totally sold on his own ability to lead the program. I'm afraid top prospects are not going to be sold on him or want to play for him. I mean, practicing for two hours on game day! I think he's a bad match for Kentucky. He's over his head, and would be if he were at North Carolina or any other major program. Coaching at Texas A&M in no way equals the demand and pressures of coaching at Kentucky. And I will admit that is not fair, but it's a fact. The only college job I can think of as being as demanding is Alabama football.

 

I'm worried by the time they finally do get around to firing him that the program will take years to get back where it should be. But maybe not. UNC bounced back pretty quickly after they hired Roy.

These two hour practices on game day keep coming up. Last year towards the end of the season I heard Oscar Combs say that Mr. Keightly told him there had only been one time when they went full speed on game day. Heck all the womens team that come into Memorial practice anywhere from an hour to two on game day and some of them go full speed.

These two hour practices on game day keep coming up. Last year towards the end of the season I heard Oscar Combs say that Mr. Keightly told him there had only been one time when they went full speed on game day. Heck all the womens team that come into Memorial practice anywhere from an hour to two on game day and some of them go full speed.

Most teams have shoot-arounds and walk-throughs on game day and go over game details, but not full speed practices.

Give him another year, just my 2 cents worth

I agree, althought I don't think he's helped himself much with his bad public relations skills or alienating his support group (if he actually had one). Would be nice if Mr. Wildcat was still around with his words of wisdom. I think he could've really helped give BCG some solid advice & words of encouragement, not to mention be a sounding board & buffer for the players.

Edited by The Cerebral Assassin
punctuation

The only knock I have on BCG is he practices these kids before games. I realize they are young and should be able to handle it, but he needs to stop practicing before games.

He needs canned.

He needs canned.

 

:thumb: He hasn't showed me anything. I say get rid of him now and lets move on. I don't see him getting any better and if they give him one more year that just puts them behind that much longer.

He deserves not one season but two seasons. He takes a while to adjust to a new coach. He will have 3-4 recruiting classes in place by then.

Gillispie deserves two more seasons.

 

In order to judge a body of work of a new coach and to see how he is doing, you must give him 4 years to recruit so then he will only have his players running his system. Its plain and simple. Until then I think it is unfair to criticize some of his moves (although I'll agree that some moves of his deserve to be crticized) because he still has Tubby's players running his system.

 

Its plain and simple.

Gillispie deserves two more seasons.

 

In order to judge a body of work of a new coach and to see how he is doing, you must give him 4 years to recruit so then he will only have his players running his system. Its plain and simple. Until then I think it is unfair to criticize some of his moves (although I'll agree that some moves of his deserve to be crticized) because he still has Tubby's players running his system.

 

Its plain and simple.

In large part he has chosen to play Tubby's leftovers instead of his own recruits this year...

In large part he has chosen to play Tubby's leftovers instead of his own recruits this year...

 

Yes I know, and thats why puzzles me a little bit. Its all but a small part of the things that BCG does that confuses me.

Law wasn't his recruit, and if not for Law big Billy Clyde would still be at A&M or searching for a new job. I'm still sold that Patterson wasn't his recruit either, but whatever.

Tubby started the recruitment of both Patterson and Miller

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.