Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does Billy Gillispie deserve another season?

Does Gillispie deserve another season? 115 members have voted

  1. 1. Does Gillispie deserve another season?

    • Yes, he deserves next season.
      58%
      67
    • No, fire him at seasons end.
      41%
      48

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I don't like the image he has created for UK. He comes off as being a jerk sometimes, makes head scratching game decisions, has (it appears) a bad relationship with his team, and really seems to be not totally sold on his own ability to lead the program. I'm afraid top prospects are not going to be sold on him or want to play for him. I mean, practicing for two hours on game day! I think he's a bad match for Kentucky. He's over his head, and would be if he were at North Carolina or any other major program. Coaching at Texas A&M in no way equals the demand and pressures of coaching at Kentucky. And I will admit that is not fair, but it's a fact. The only college job I can think of as being as demanding is Alabama football.

 

All the reasons I voted no. But yes, I too believe firing him after this year will only make things worse. He gets another year, but not because he deserves it.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on BG. I was extremely pleased with the results in year one, and I've been extremely depressed with how this team has finished. This team has major flaws, PG being the biggest, and that is a very valuable position for any basketball program. Will 2010 be better, I don't know but I'm willing to give BG a season or two more before I pass judgment.

4 and 5 star guys only.

 

I believe BCG was Self's lead recruiter at Illinois. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Under Self @ Illinois:

Dee Brown (5*)

Deron Williams (4*)

 

At A&M:

Bryan Davis (4*)

Donald Sloan (4*)

Denzel Bowles (4*)

Deandre Jordan (5*)

 

At UK:

Pattrick Patterson (5*) -07

Alex Legion (4*) -07

Deandre Liggins (4*) -08

Darius Miller (4*) -08

Jon Hood (4*) -09

Daniel Orton (5*) -09

Dominique Ferguson (5*) -10

Vinny Zollo -11

Michael Avery -12

 

5 years prior to BCG at UK: (2003 to Tubby's signed 2007 players)

Meeks (4*) -06

Jasper (4*) -06

Stevenson (4*) -06

Crawford (5*) -04

Morris (5*) -04

Rondo (5*) -04

 

Note that prior to BCG only 2 classes out of 5 contained any 4* or better players. Since he has arrived, there are 4 consecutive classes with at least one 4* player.

Yes he should get another season... We are all just upset right now.

 

Wow... I dont think I have ever been this upset during march.:madman:

 

Too young to remember 1992? :D

^ I thought knowingly posting lies was against BGP rules.

4 and 5 star guys only.

 

I believe BCG was Self's lead recruiter at Illinois. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Under Self @ Illinois:

Dee Brown (5*)

Deron Williams (4*)

 

At A&M:

Bryan Davis (4*)

Donald Sloan (4*)

Denzel Bowles (4*)

Deandre Jordan (5*)

 

At UK:

Pattrick Patterson (5*) -07

Alex Legion (4*) -07

Deandre Liggins (4*) -08

Darius Miller (4*) -08

Jon Hood (4*) -09

Daniel Orton (5*) -09

Dominique Ferguson (5*) -10

Vinny Zollo -11

Michael Avery -12

 

5 years prior to BCG at UK: (2003 to Tubby's signed 2007 players)

Meeks (4*) -06

Jasper (4*) -06

Stevenson (4*) -06

Crawford (5*) -04

Morris (5*) -04

Rondo (5*) -04

 

Note that prior to BCG only 2 classes out of 5 contained any 4* or better players. Since he has arrived, there are 4 consecutive classes with at least one 4* player.

You mention a lot of 4 and 5 star players on paper who have been recruited by UK. Would you expect any less?

 

The question and ultimate problem with having highly ranked players with high expectations and fans with even higher expectations is you need a respected coach to serve as a counselor, father figure, good friend, leader, teacher, mentor, roll model etc. etc. in order to have success. Even with great talent.

 

Billy Clyde fills none of those rolls and that my friend, is why is is coming apart at the seams. He could bring in LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Shaq and still have the other issues with his team. It is not the talent

You mention a lot of 4 and 5 star players on paper who have been recruited by UK. Would you expect any less?

 

No, which is why I (and pretty much everyone else) was unhappy with the following classes:

 

Alleyne

Obrzut

Bobby Perry

Sheray Thomas

 

Jared Carter

Rekalin Sims

Adam Williams

 

The second one is partly to blame for this season. So far BCG doesn't seem to be lining up any classes like those.

 

The question was why do people think BCG is a good recruiter. The recruits I listed are the reason.

And Billy Donovan was showing them up in the NIT last season, and likely this season.

 

:confused: and your point is?

He could start 4 of his recruits and Meeks. Apparently he doesn't like the idea all that much...

 

It's not exactly as easy as you make it seem. Galloway and Harrelson would not have been recruited whatsoever if there wasn't a need at those positions for depth. It isn't his fault that he needed to fill so many roster spots. Patterson is a stud and he did a great job to get him there. Miller is the first guy off the bench and is fairly productive for a 4* recruit that isn't overly athletic or great at anything, but very good at a lot of things. He will get better each year and be very good as a Junior and Senior. It looks like he missed on Liggins. I honestly am happy that Liggins doesn't get more minutes. If BCG comes back next year along w/ Patterson he will have a chance to prove he can coach. He's had a bad year. Everyone is talking about how he talks down to his players. Well before the season there was such a love fest going on w/ his players that it got people a little over excited. What exactly do they want him to do?

Galloway and Harrelson would not have been recruited whatsoever if there wasn't a need at those positions for depth.

 

They wouldn't have been recruited if he didn't whiff on so many other targets...

They wouldn't have been recruited if he didn't whiff on so many other targets...

 

:thumb:

What exactly do they want him to do?

 

I don't care what he does. Just calling it as I see it...

They wouldn't have been recruited if he didn't whiff on so many other targets...

 

At least he was in on a lot of targets. The previous staff targeted a player or two and if they missed they were in trouble. BCG only filled spots that had to be filled after he missed and they were filled late, but he will not miss so much in the future. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. If there were quality players on this years roster left behind Harrelson or Galloway wouldn't have been offered.

I don't care what he does. Just calling it as I see it...

 

That was actually not meant for you. "Fans" are upset b/c he's throwing some players under the bus. I think he was tired of praising people who don't deserve it. He can't just come out and say that they have 3 or 4 capable players and they need 8. He should, but it's hard to do.

He is not even under contract, so he might just leave.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.