Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does Billy Gillispie deserve another season?

Does Gillispie deserve another season? 115 members have voted

  1. 1. Does Gillispie deserve another season?

    • Yes, he deserves next season.
      58%
      67
    • No, fire him at seasons end.
      41%
      48

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Tubby started the recruitment of both Patterson and Miller

 

He should never have been hired to start with, he beat Pitino at Rupp Arena was his one claim to fame,big deal. The only names that should be associated with coaching UK and pursued monetarily are Calipari,Pitino,Self,Holland and Travis Ford, in that order.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
He should never have been hired to start with, he beat Pitino at Rupp Arena was his one claim to fame,big deal. The only names that should be associated with coaching UK and pursued monetarily are Calipari,Pitino,Self,Holland and Travis Ford, in that order.

 

The bold were not going to come (Howland, by the way).

 

And Travis Ford... what did he do to be worthy of the job?

He should never have been hired to start with, he beat Pitino at Rupp Arena was his one claim to fame,big deal. The only names that should be associated with coaching UK and pursued monetarily are Calipari,Pitino,Self,Holland and Travis Ford, in that order.

Billy Donovan?

IMO not only does he deserve next year but I would give him the year after also. However, the only reason I would get rid of him is if the man up in Louisville decided to come back to Lexington.

Gillispie deserves two more seasons.

 

In order to judge a body of work of a new coach and to see how he is doing, you must give him 4 years to recruit so then he will only have his players running his system. Its plain and simple. Until then I think it is unfair to criticize some of his moves (although I'll agree that some moves of his deserve to be crticized) because he still has Tubby's players running his system.

 

Its plain and simple.

He deserves none!

 

"Deserves" is a poor choice of words in this situation.

IMO not only does he deserve next year but I would give him the year after also. However, the only reason I would get rid of him is if the man up in Louisville decided to come back to Lexington.

 

I like it! :thumb:

I like it! :thumb:

That is a very good reason, but not the only reason to get rid of Billy Clyde.

The bold were not going to come (Howland, by the way).

 

And Travis Ford... what did he do to be worthy of the job?

 

Offer them enough and they will come. As for Travis, thought he was always more worthy than Clyde, even if he never played ball or lived in Kentucky. Like said,Clyde's only claim to fame was beating Pitino at Rupp,what else ever made him worthy of the UK job?

  • Author
Offer them enough and they will come. As for Travis, thought he was always more worthy than Clyde, even if he never played ball or lived in Kentucky. Like said,Clyde's only claim to fame was beating Pitino at Rupp,what else ever made him worthy of the UK job?

 

Turn around two programs, including one in a major conference that hadn't won a conference game the season before he took over. Took that team to it's highest ever ranking in the polls and to the farthest in the NCAA tourney than they had been in ever (or atleast a long time).

 

Ford:

 

Travis had one NCAA appearance in his only winning season at EKU. He went 61-80 at EKU before he was hired at UMass.

 

At UMass, his first season ended with a losing record. Although the next two seasons were successful, he never made the NCAA with the Minutemen.

 

And now Gillispie:

 

His first season as a head coach his team had an abysmal record. However, the second year, he took UTEP to the NCAAs.

 

His second job at Texas A&M, the Aggies had just won seven games prior to his arrival. He went 70-26 in his three seasons with the Aggies and made two NCAA appearances, and was one point away from the Elite Eight.

 

In his career, he has also won or shared five Coach of the Year Awards for his conference.

:thumb: Let him get his players in there and see what he can do. BCG is a proven good recrer.uit I say let him start five players that he has recruited and then judge him. Getting a pg is extremely important for him and a bruiser down low. Only getting rid of BCG makes things worse for UK the next past couple seasons.

 

Yeah he is big on the middle school circut.:laugh:

Yeah, I'll give him some more time. I won't say how long because that depends on how next season goes. They were talking on the Radio pre-game show that this team was 4-5 defensive stops from winning 22-23 games this year. Team has disapointed everyone but I think team has shown glimpses of being good, they just need to mature and get consistant.

 

If Pat and Jodie both leave it will be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG year next year.

Billy Donovan?

 

I would add Donovan (again) and Jay Wright to a short list to go after and go after very hard when and if the decision is made.

 

From what I heard from someone "supposedly" in the know the Donovan deal was all but finalized, money and terms had been agreed on. Donovan goes back to Fla., checks with his wife and she decides that she wants to stay in Florida and "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Like I said, more rumors at the time but it did come from someone I trust, I just don't know about the source he got it from. :idunno:

Bottom line is Tubby was gone, Billy D stayed at U.F and we get Billy Clyde. that we know for sure. :D

Yeah he is big on the middle school circut.:laugh:

 

:laugh::laugh: That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

BCG is also big on the walk ons/scout team players:D, atlhough I must say I liked the hustle and desire from Slone better than I did a from couple of the regulars.

  • Author
I would add Donovan (again) and Jay Wright to a short list to go after and go after very hard when and if the decision is made.

 

From what I heard from someone "supposedly" in the know the Donovan deal was all but finalized, money and terms had been agreed on. Donovan goes back to Fla., checks with his wife and she decides that she wants to stay in Florida and "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Like I said, more rumors at the time but it did come from someone I trust, I just don't know about the source he got it from. :idunno:

Bottom line is Tubby was gone, Billy D stayed at U.F and we get Billy Clyde. that we know for sure. :D

 

And Billy Donovan was showing them up in the NIT last season, and likely this season.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.