Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Great Article on Michael Porter

Featured Replies

LINK

 

My Story, By Michael Porter

 

"I've been a Christian for as long as I can remember, but I didn't understand what it meant to have a relationship with Christ until I became a teenager. Throughout high school, I grew in my knowledge of Christ through prayer, reading the Bible and attending church, but it wasn't until the middle of my sophomore year of college that I realized and felt the true meaning of a Christ-first relationship.

 

Growing up, I heard the teachings of Mark 12:30 (NIV), which says, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." Still, I never could fully grasp the idea of loving God. When I was an infant in my faith, it all felt like an obligation. I felt obligated to read my Bible, to obey, to serve and even to pray.

 

For a while, I felt like I was fighting against what God truly had in store for me. His blessings are so numerous, but, for some reason, I didn't know how to open my heart and my life to them. When I decided to attend the University of Kentucky to play basketball I should have been excited, but all I could think about was how I was afraid of not succeeding. I kept having doubts that I wasn't talented enough, couldn't shoot well enough, and even that I shouldn't be playing basketball at all. Giving into those doubts and fears hindered me from growing closer to God and seeing just how blessed I really was.

 

Before the 2007-08 school year and season, my girlfriend and I had just gotten married, a new school year was starting, and Kentucky had just hired a new head basketball coach. After a rough couple of months, I had a strong feeling that Kentucky was simply not the right fit for me, and I wanted to transfer. But Bryana, my wife, felt uneasy even thinking about transferring. Through prayer and being still before God, we discerned that He was telling us to stay.

 

Through our marriage, Bryana helped me to open my eyes to all the blessings God had given me. Throughout our relationship, she has been an amazing encourager. She has helped me realize that God’s grace and blessings are free gifts that I can tap into. We don't do anything to earn them, but they are given to us when we accept Him into our lives and continue to seek a closer personal relationship with Him. The greatest gift we can ever receive is the gift of eternal life.

 

Now, more than a year after deciding to stay at Kentucky, I feel more freedom than I have ever felt before. I finally realize the true meaning of being a Christian. It is no longer about me or about what I can do. It is about having a Christ-first relationship, which is so easy and free. Fear is no longer an issue because I find my true confidence in the Lord. And God never intended for my relationship with Him to be an obligation. All I had to do was allow Christ to work through me.

 

Once I surrendered my wants and desires and allowed Christ to work through me here at the University of Kentucky, it was easier to do the things God had planned for me. Instead of fighting Him for what I thought would be best for my life, I am now on the same team as my Savior, and I feel like I can do anything when I put my mind to it. I am now on pace to get my degree almost a year early. My attitude in basketball, school and life in general is one of thanksgiving. And I thank God every day for Bryana and the blessing it is to have someone to share my life with.

 

I continue to follow what the Bible says in James 1:12 (NIV), "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him."

 

I know whether I become an All-American or sit the bench for the rest of my career, God has called me to be my best, to love Him and surrender it all to Him."

 

 

This a must read.

We may get on Porter for his play alot here but you cannot question that this young man has all his priorities in order and knows what counts in life.

He is a great young man and I think he will go down as one of my favorite Cat of all time (and that is not a joke whatseover).

 

Excellent excellent read:thumb:

Very eye opening article, and this young man has gained my utmost respect. It's hard enough to move away from home to play sports, let alone playing basketball at one of the most storied basketball schools in the country. Congrats to Porter and his wife, and I wish both of them the best in their marriage and lives.

Great read. Thanks for sharing. It's good to see that Michael Porter has his priorities right, and hopefully this article will help show others how they can have such peace in their life.

Did not know this about Michael,thanks for sharing this.

A young man who's living his life the right way,I thank God for young men like him.

Admiration for him just went up. It was up anyway, but, even further now.

He may not be the best basketball play for UK, but he has his priority's right. He has a good head on his shoulders and Jesus in his heart. He is a winner in life and basketball is just a small part of it. The grief he gets from a lot of fans is not his fault. His talent my not be what we think a UK players should be, but I am sure he gives his all in every game. I wish him all the best in life.

He may not be the best basketball play for UK, but he has his priority's right. He has a good head on his shoulders and Jesus in his heart. He is a winner in life and basketball is just a small part of it. The grief he gets from a lot of fans is not his fault. His talent my not be what we think a UK players should be, but I am sure he gives his all in every game. I wish him all the best in life.

 

:thumb::thumb:

Great article on Porter. I like seeing things like this in college athletes, especially these days.

Michael will be our guest speaker for the FCA leadership camp late June at Campbellsville. I'll post more info later. Can't wait to meet him.

Great read, thanks so much for posting :thumb:. This certainly puts everything in it's proper place and order. I now have an absolute favorite player on this U.K. team. A talk like that reminds me of a Cameron Mills or Jeff Sheppard type person........All Class.

Great read, thanks so much for posting :thumb:. This certainly puts everything in it's proper place and order. I now have an absolute favorite player on this U.K. team. A talk like that reminds me of a Cameron Mills or Jeff Sheppard type person........All Class.

 

:thumb:

He may not be the best basketball play for UK, but he has his priority's right. He has a good head on his shoulders and Jesus in his heart. He is a winner in life and basketball is just a small part of it. The grief he gets from a lot of fans is not his fault. His talent my not be what we think a UK players should be, but I am sure he gives his all in every game. I wish him all the best in life.

 

Well said. :thumb::thumb:

Very nice read, I always had a little part inside of me that liked Porter, I just wish he gained more confidence. In those big games where he nailed some 3's (i.e. Tennessee), thats the Porter we need.

I find it interesting that the collective "we" bash the kid and then as soon as he says he's a Christian he's suddenly alright.

 

Its certainly a reflection upon us.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.