Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Catholics...

Featured Replies

I am somewhat baffled at the misunderstanding of the Hail Mary. In reciting it, Catholics are asking Mary to pray for them now and at the hour of their death. I see it no differently than when certain protestants, in a time of need, ask for the prayers of Bro. Cletus, Bro. Sam, Bro. Bill, etc.

 

Personally, I would think asking for Mary to pray for us probably carries a more validity than will asking Bro. Cletus to do so.

  • Replies 137
  • Views 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am somewhat baffled at the misunderstanding of the Hail Mary. In reciting it, Catholics are asking Mary to pray for them now and at the hour of their death. I see it no differently than when certain protestants, in a time of need, ask for the prayers of Bro. Cletus, Bro. Sam, Bro. Bill, etc.

 

Personally, I would think asking for Mary to pray for us probably carries a more validity than will asking Bro. Cletus to do so.

 

Key difference is those people are alive and Mary is not.

Key difference is those people are alive and Mary is not.

 

Key difference is Mary is the Mother of God and probably can help a little bit more with the Lord...

Key difference is those people are alive and Mary is not.

 

I would suggest that your answer is a bit simplistic. I know you believe in the "hereafter" so do you really think Mary is "dead" in every sense of the word? I also know that most prostestants believe that their loved ones are "up above" lookng down on them and that they, on occasion, ask those loved ones to watch over so and so.

 

Surely, asking for the intercession of Mary is at least as valid as asking for the intercession of old, deceased Grandpa Grover to watch over little Bucky. I would also think Mary can do a little more aththis stage than can the brother/deacons of the church.

I would suggest that your answer is a bit simplistic. I know you believe in the "hereafter" so do you really think Mary is "dead" in every sense of the word? I also know that most prostestants believe that their loved ones are "up above" lookng down on them and that they, on occasion, ask those loved ones to watch over so and so.

 

Surely, asking for the intercession of Mary is at least as valid as asking for the intercession of old, deceased Grandpa Grover to watch over little Bucky. I would also think Mary can do a little more aththis stage than can the brother/deacons of the church.

 

I don't necessarily believe that. It would make for a great thread to see the Scriptural proof of that.:thumb:

 

What our exact condition is after our physical death is one I have pondered and do not know. Another great thread topic.:thumb:

 

Please provide Scripture which it indicates that we should pray to others that have passed on rather than to God/Jesus. That is an honest request and not a slam of any type. If they are there, I am willing to consider it.

Key difference is Mary is the Mother of God and probably can help a little bit more with the Lord...

 

Why? Honest question.

 

Does God/Jesus not care about us as much? At one point his mother and his family show up and they tell him that his family is there and he indicates the crowd he is with is his familly.

 

My personal belief is that Jesus loves all of us, those that have accepted and those that have rejected him, equallly.

Matthew 1:21 "She (Mary) will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins. 22...All this took place to fulfill what the LORD had said through the prophet."

 

John 3:16 "For GOD so loved the world that he gave his only begotton SON, that who whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life".

 

John 14:6 "No one calls to the Father except through me:.

 

Matthew 23:9 "And do not call anyone Father, for you have only one Father in heaven.

 

She is the Mother of Jesus

Edited by Alabama Larry

I don't necessarily believe that. It would make for a great thread to see the Scriptural proof of that.:thumb:

 

What our exact condition is after our physical death is one I have pondered and do not know. Another great thread topic.:thumb:

 

Please provide Scripture which it indicates that we should pray to others that have passed on rather than to God/Jesus. That is an honest request and not a slam of any type. If they are there, I am willing to consider it.

 

 

From your posts, I am convinced that you know nothing about the Catholic Church and its teachings.

 

Are you praying to Bro. Cletus, one of your deacons, when you ask him to pray for you? I think not. I believe you are requesting that he intercede on your behalf by praying for you.

 

Surely, if you find asking Bro. Cletus to pray for you thinking he can do some good, you find no fault with those who ask the Virgin Mary to intercede for them in much the same manner. Catholics are no more praying to Mary than you are praying to Bro. Cletus.

 

I have long suspected that Protestants condemn Catholics because they are ignorant as to what Catholics believe. And, after all, it is easier to condemn what we don't know than to become educated.

 

Asking for Holy Scripture is a smoke screen hiding a lack of knowledge. If I thought it were a relevant point in this discussion I would lay out a goodly number of Protestant practices which have no basis in scripture.

 

We need to find common ground rather than distrust and condemnation (judging).

 

For example, the two groups most rigid on life issues and protecting life are Catholics and Baptists. That should be seen as common ground and exploited by both. I think Catholics are willing to do so but Baptists seem to me to be both scared of and ignorant of the real beliefs and practices of Catholics. And, much because of this fact, many Catholics tend to dismiss most Baptists as ignorant. Am I wrong?

 

By the way, I am neither a Baptist nor a Catholic. However, I am informed as to both.

You didn't quote me, but you did use the term judging. How are we judging anyone when we point out scripture. Are we "ignorant" or just missing the interpretation?

Here .http://www.scborromeo.org/papers/mother.PDF

You didn't quote me, but you did use the term judging. How are we judging anyone when we point out scripture. Are we "ignorant" or just missing the interpretation?

 

Because most people approach it from the angle of "my church's interpretation is correct and all others are wrong."

Human Jesus? Is Jesus not God?

How can you separate the human Jesus from the divine Jesus???

 

Howbout the baby Jesus Ricky Bobby prays to in Taladega Nights?:D

 

Sorry, I know this is a serious conversation, but I couldn't help but think of that when scene in the movie reading your post.

You didn't quote me, but you did use the term judging. How are we judging anyone when we point out scripture. Are we "ignorant" or just missing the interpretation?

 

Webster's New World Dictionary:

 

ignorant: 1. lacking knowledge or experience

2. caused by or showing lack of knowledge

3. unaware

 

The above defines what I am implying by "ignorant". Both Catholics and Protestants are uninformed as to the true beliefs of the other group.

 

Therefore, if you condemn (don't tell me Baptists don't often condemn Catholics because we all know better) you are judging. If you are judging the status of someone else's relationship with God, you are ignoring the Holy Scriptures. Indeed, you are judging.

 

To lighten up a little, let me quote a "joke" that I have heard on several occasions: A judge was at the pearly gates seeking admission. St. Peter, when informed that the individual was a judge, told him he couldn't enter because there were already the full quota of judges in Heaven. The judge asked how that was possible. St. Peter said "We don't call them judges here. We call them Baptists."

 

Now, before anyone gets offended let me inform you that I have been told this little joke several times by Baptists but never, to my best recollection, by a Catholic.

 

My point? Be informed before you condemn and be careful about usurping God's role as Judge in all of this.

Webster's New World Dictionary:

 

ignorant: 1. lacking knowledge or experience

2. caused by or showing lack of knowledge

3. unaware

 

The above defines what I am implying by "ignorant". Both Catholics and Protestants are uninformed as to the true beliefs of the other group.

 

Therefore, if you condemn (don't tell me Baptists don't often condemn Catholics because we all know better) you are judging. If you are judging the status of someone else's relationship with God, you are ignoring the Holy Scriptures. Indeed, you are judging.

 

To lighten up a little, let me quote a "joke" that I have heard on several occasions: A judge was at the pearly gates seeking admission. St. Peter, when informed that the individual was a judge, told him he couldn't enter because there were already the full quota of judges in Heaven. The judge asked how that was possible. St. Peter said "We don't call them judges here. We call them Baptists."

 

Now, before anyone gets offended let me inform you that I have been told this little joke several times by Baptists but never, to my best recollection, by a Catholic.

 

My point? Be informed before you condemn and be careful about usurping God's role as Judge in all of this.

 

That's a two-way street. Both sides are guilty. Let's be fair.

That's a two-way street. Both sides are guilty. Let's be fair.

 

Both sides can be judgemental, but Baptists often look down at Catholics. When I was a 10 year old boy, the neighbors down the street told me that their parents didn't want me at the house anymore because I was Catholic... I mean, come on...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.