Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Catholics...

Featured Replies

St Therese Parish in Southgate has a Bible study class open to everyone , and We had a class in Bible Study that was mandantory when I attended Newport Catholic 45 years ago . I believe it was in the junior year .

  • Replies 137
  • Views 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously, it would be beneficial to stick with the Bible when debating non-Catholics.

 

I was just interested in the standard interaction with the Catholic community. Like, would they be more apt to get involved in a Catechism discussion or a Bible discussion?

No idea. To be honest, being under 20, I haven't been too involved in parish activities- my rediscovery of my faith (over the past year and a half) has been mostly introspective. Coupled with the fact that that my official parish is in NKY and I am just drifting from parish to parish here in Lexington, someone else would know better than me.

 

From what I have seen, Catholics don't do group studies as much as Protestant denominations, but I think (as MountainThunder noted) Catholics are increasing group studies, with things such as "Why Catholic?", which is a catechism discussion based on the Bible verses behind what we believe and the moral theology behind it.

 

It has been said before a million times, when you ask a Catholic any question, the answer is normally "both"

edit

Should have kept it :D

I've been told by friends who are of the Catholic faith, "the priest will tell us what we need to know".

 

To be fair this was several years ago.

 

Southeast Christian Church has an average of 700 men on their Saturday morning Bible study. 7 AM. I'd never gone too early for me.

 

They also promote weekly studies for all kinds of groups and I asked them being baptist I'm invited and so are people who are Catholic. So we and them can still attend our church and find a bible study.

I've been told by friends who are of the Catholic faith, "the priest will tell us what we need to know".

 

To be fair this was several years ago.

 

Southeast Christian Church has an average of 700 men on their Saturday morning Bible study. 7 AM. I'd never gone too early for me.

 

They also promote weekly studies for all kinds of groups and I asked them being baptist I'm invited and so are people who are Catholic. So we and them can still attend our church and find a bible study.

If that is what some Catholic friends have told you then they were not very good at being prostylizers .

^^^I'm not sure, maybe the Baptist preachers always told us that, and it stuck with me. :idunno:

 

Now I've got to find my dictionary and look up that "P" word. :idunno:I love this guy. :idunno:

 

My point, we can always find a bible study somewhere sometime.

^^^I'm not sure, maybe the Baptist preachers always told us that, and it stuck with me. :idunno:

 

Now I've got to find my dictionary and look up that "P" word. :idunno:I love this guy. :idunno:

 

My point, we can always find a bible study somewhere sometime.

 

Even Here on BGP:dancingpa:banana::dancingpa:ylsuper::notworthy::clap:

^^^I'm not sure, maybe the Baptist preachers always told us that, and it stuck with me. :idunno:

 

Now I've got to find my dictionary and look up that "P" word. :idunno:I love this guy. :idunno:

 

My point, we can always find a bible study somewhere sometime.

 

 

To be fair though, why would a Catholic go to a Baptist Bible study group? As has been noted, there are fundamental differences in the way that Baptists and Catholic interpret the Bible. Would Baptists attend a Catholic Bible study group? I love this guy too.:idunno:

:idunno: RockMom, Momma says I favor this dude.

 

Thats why I mentioned Southeast Christian and not my church. I was trying to be fair. :isurrender: Seems like I use this one a lot for some reason.

:idunno: RockMom, Momma says I favor this dude.

 

Thats why I mentioned Southeast Christian and not my church. I was trying to be fair. :isurrender: Seems like I use this one a lot for some reason.

 

 

:lol: You must have perfected this: :idunno::lol:

 

I don't have time to go into the nuts and bolts of all this, but I would not attend a Bible study at Southeast Christian, as I know it would not reflect my Catholic beliefs.

RM...its just a study, not anything else.

 

Easter Passion March 11-27th.

 

Thursday 10 AM Bible Study

 

Tuesdays thru March 24th womans study Esther

 

This is for anyone.

RM...its just a study, not anything else.

 

Easter Passion March 11-27th.

 

Thursday 10 AM Bible Study

 

Tuesdays thru March 24th womans study Esther

 

This is for anyone.

 

 

It isn't though, IMO. When you study the Bible, shouldn't what you derive from that study be consistent with your faith's beliefs? Otherwise, it's just a book club.

  • Author
:lol: You must have perfected this: :idunno::lol:

 

I don't have time to go into the nuts and bolts of all this, but I would not attend a Bible study at Southeast Christian, as I know it would not reflect my Catholic beliefs.

 

...but when do Catholics study the Bible? I like the St. Theresa idea...

It isn't though, IMO. When you study the Bible, shouldn't what you derive from that study be consistent with your faith's beliefs? Otherwise, it's just a book club.

 

I would say that one's beliefs should be derived from their study of the Bible, but that's just me . . .

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.