February 20, 200917 yr read the Bible or have Bible study? I'm not Catholic, but I would "guess" that the % of Catholics who do is very similar to those who are Protestant. Some do, some don't.
February 20, 200917 yr read the Bible or have Bible study? Yes, we do. Is there a thought we do not? I am not saying you think this way, just asking a general question.
February 20, 200917 yr Yes, we do. Is there a thought we do not? I am not saying you think this way, just asking a general question. How do Catholics use the Catechism (CCC)? Do you read it like the Bible? For example, would you have a CCC Study (similar to a weekly Bible Study) where you'd go through a certain section and do an in-depth study and discussion? Or, is it used in a different way?
February 20, 200917 yr How do Catholics use the Catechism (CCC)? Do you read it like the Bible? For example, would you have a CCC Study (similar to a weekly Bible Study) where you'd go through a certain section and do an in-depth study and discussion? Or, is it used in a different way? We do at my Parish. Although, I will say I do not think the idea of a "bible study" is as prevalent in Catholicism as it is in most Protestant sects.
February 20, 200917 yr Yes, we do. Is there a thought we do not? I am not saying you think this way, just asking a general question. My understanding is that the Church encouraging Catholics to study the Bible is a relatively new thing. I didn't know any Catholics in the 60's and 70's who had read the Bible. What they knew of the Bible came out of the liturgy or the prayer book.
February 20, 200917 yr I have one prominently displayed on my bookshelf in the living room. I always make sure it's dusted off, and made sure I bought a used one so it looks well read. This comes in handy when those door-to-door ministers knock. When I see who's at the door, I know to either open the door wide enough to let them see my tattered, yet dustless Bible resting in it's prominent place on the bookshelf. Or I can grab it and let it fall open to a well read page and answer the door with it in hand.
February 20, 200917 yr Author My understanding is that the Church encouraging Catholics to study the Bible is a relatively new thing. I didn't know any Catholics in the 60's and 70's who had read the Bible. What they knew of the Bible came out of the liturgy or the prayer book. This is my understanding too. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and I am Bible ignorant. My parish does not promote or encourage "The Bible". I was considering looking into a church to attend that does have these.
February 20, 200917 yr read the Bible or have Bible study? Yes. We also have a program called 'Why Catholic' which discusses and explains what the Catholic church believes and were it is based on the Bible.
February 20, 200917 yr We do at my Parish. Although, I will say I do not think the idea of a "bible study" is as prevalent in Catholicism as it is in most Protestant sects. A few questions... Which do you read from more, the Bible or the CCC? Or would you say you read from them equally? If Catholics were in a group study setting discussing some religious topic, would they be more likely to reference a passage from the CCC or the Bible? Please note, I'm asking out of curiosity. I'm not going to criticize your answers regardless of what they may be. Just wanted to clarify that up front.
February 20, 200917 yr read the Bible or have Bible study? edit Edited February 20, 200917 yr by Clyde
February 20, 200917 yr Yes. We also have a program called 'Why Catholic' which discusses and explains what the Catholic church believes and were it is based on the Bible. :thumb: I'm hoping to get in one soon, but we'll see how it turns out. Do you like it? A few questions... Which do you read from more, the Bible or the CCC? Or would you say you read from them equally? If Catholics were in a group study setting discussing some religious topic, would they be more likely to reference a passage from the CCC or the Bible? Please note, I'm asking out of curiosity. I'm not going to criticize your answers regardless of what they may be. Just wanted to clarify that up front. Probably both, close to equally. For me personally, if I do get anything from the catechism (especially when debating with non-Catholics), I like to find the Bible verse relating to it. But like everyone else said, nothing in the Catechism contradicts the Bible (although it may contradict the interpretations of some people...)
February 20, 200917 yr I have one prominently displayed on my bookshelf in the living room. I always make sure it's dusted off, and made sure I bought a used one so it looks well read. This comes in handy when those door-to-door ministers knock. When I see who's at the door, I know to either open the door wide enough to let them see my tattered, yet dustless Bible resting in it's prominent place on the bookshelf. Or I can grab it and let it fall open to a well read page and answer the door with it in hand. :lol: Nice... Another thing to consider is that we don't view the Catechism as inerrant as we do the Bible. For example, the Baltimore Catechism has some things about limbo and unbaptized infants that are more theological ideas than doctrine or dogma.
February 20, 200917 yr :thumb: I'm hoping to get in one soon, but we'll see how it turns out. Do you like it? Probably both, close to equally. For me personally, if I do get anything from the catechism (especially when debating with non-Catholics), I like to find the Bible verse relating to it. But like everyone else said, nothing in the Catechism contradicts the Bible (although it may contradict the interpretations of some people...) Obviously, it would be beneficial to stick with the Bible when debating non-Catholics. I was just interested in the standard interaction with the Catholic community. Like, would they be more apt to get involved in a Catechism discussion or a Bible discussion?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.