Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Catholics...

Featured Replies

...but when do Catholics study the Bible? I like the St. Theresa idea...

 

 

Is it necessary that I attend a "group" to study the Bible?

  • Replies 137
  • Views 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say that one's beliefs should be derived from their study of the Bible, but that's just me . . .

 

 

As has been stated so many times previously, there is a difference in the Catholic Bible, and the number of versions of non-Catholic Bibles. As well, there are other reasons that I would not attend a Study group at Southeast Christian, but the core one is that it is NOT a Catholic study group.

Thats Ok, you made some great points RM, if I got the chance to go to a Catholic bible study with people of the Faith and I could share I'd go to a Catholic study in a heartbeat.

 

I've gone to studies of other faiths that I differed with and really had a great time.

The only problem was when they lined up to talk with me after it was over. I've gotten home really late.

  • Author
As has been stated so many times previously, there is a difference in the Catholic Bible, and the number of versions of non-Catholic Bibles. As well, there are other reasons that I would not attend a Study group at Southeast Christian, but the core one is that it is NOT a Catholic study group.

 

So are you saying Catholics don't need to study the Bible?

Just Asking>>

No.

 

If I may be so bold as to speak for RM what I think she's saying is that you don't need a "Bible Study Group" to study the bible.

 

And while I am very open to the beliefs of others I would not go near anything at Southeast.

As has been stated so many times previously, there is a difference in the Catholic Bible, and the number of versions of non-Catholic Bibles. As well, there are other reasons that I would not attend a Study group at Southeast Christian, but the core one is that it is NOT a Catholic study group.

I don't necessarily agree with you. I wouldn't have a problem going to a non-Catholic Bible Study, provided I went to a Catholic one as well. But I get what you are saying.

Short answer: yes, we do.

A message I received from a friend today:

 

...in Catholic Seminaries, scripture courses are some of the most highly scheduled classes taken by the laity who have no plans of being ordained, they are just responding to JP II and Benedict XVI's calls to Catholics to not just read, but study the sacred scriptures.

 

I myself will be taking a scripture course over Lent at Saint Louis Bertrand.

I agree with Rockmom.; while she would not attend a non-Catholic "bible study" I would not attend a Catholic service, bible study, or whatever, the teachings are totally different from what I believe the Bible to say. That being said, I would not attend any bible study or group outside the Baptist faith. I know that seems narrow but there are fundamental differences in what denominations teach. And by the way, Baptists are not protestant, we never broke away from the Catholic church. But that is for another thread.

I agree with Rockmom.; while she would not attend a non-Catholic "bible study" I would not attend a Catholic service, bible study, or whatever, the teachings are totally different from what I believe the Bible to say. That being said, I would not attend any bible study or group outside the Baptist faith. I know that seems narrow but there are fundamental differences in what denominations teach. And by the way, Baptists are not protestant, we never broke away from the Catholic church. But that is for another thread.

 

Wow! By this argument, the only denomination that is truly protestant would be the Lutherans. :banana:

To be fair though, why would a Catholic go to a Baptist Bible study group? As has been noted, there are fundamental differences in the way that Baptists and Catholic interpret the Bible. Would Baptists attend a Catholic Bible study group? I love this guy too.:idunno:

 

:lol: You must have perfected this: :idunno::lol:

 

I don't have time to go into the nuts and bolts of all this, but I would not attend a Bible study at Southeast Christian, as I know it would not reflect my Catholic beliefs.

 

It isn't though, IMO. When you study the Bible, shouldn't what you derive from that study be consistent with your faith's beliefs? Otherwise, it's just a book club.

 

Is it necessary that I attend a "group" to study the Bible?

 

As has been stated so many times previously, there is a difference in the Catholic Bible, and the number of versions of non-Catholic Bibles. As well, there are other reasons that I would not attend a Study group at Southeast Christian, but the core one is that it is NOT a Catholic study group.
You are 100% spot on RM. :thumb:

Hound, I see your point, but if I can show someone maybe a different way or something that convinces them what the scripture teaches we are called to do just that.

 

Example: I have never understood the Virgin Mary role in the Church. And I don't want to go there for the sake of the thread, but my bible shows a different side of her role.

Hound, I see your point, but if I can show someone maybe a different way or something that convinces them what the scripture teaches we are called to do just that.

 

Example: I have never understood the Virgin Mary role in the Church. And I don't want to go there for the sake of the thread, but my bible shows a different side of her role.

Start a new thread, but do it before I give up BGP for Lent in 4 days!

Don't know if this falls into this thread but if we study the biblewe will see that we should all throw away our labels and tags and focus on the ONE thing we all have in common JESUS CHRIST

 

 

1 Cor.1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

 

 

 

1 Cor.1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

 

 

 

1 Cor.3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

 

 

 

1 Cor.3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

 

I am pretty sure it reads the same way no matter what version you are reading

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.