March 2, 200917 yr Both sides can be judgemental, but Baptists often look down at Catholics. When I was a 10 year old boy, the neighbors down the street told me that their parents didn't want me at the house anymore because I was Catholic... I mean, come on... And, you're telling me that there aren't Catholics who look down on (insert denomination here)...? I mean, come on, too...:idunno:
March 2, 200917 yr That's a two-way street. Both sides are guilty. Let's be fair. Of course it is a two-way street. However, I have attended both Baptist churches (mainly Southern Baptist) and Catholic churches hundreds of times each. As I said, I am quite familiar with both which I feel sure few can claim. Let me just say that the level of distrust and disdain is not the same in both groups toward the other.
March 2, 200917 yr Of course it is a two-way street. However, I have attended both Baptist churches (mainly Southern Baptist) and Catholic churches hundreds of times each. As I said, I am quite familiar with both which I feel sure few can claim. Let me just say that the level of distrust and disdain is not the same in both groups toward the other. Perhaps, you're right. The Catholic view on "Protestant" churches has softened considerably in recent history. Its possible that with more time that will be reciprocated. Additionally, many of these threads run under the guise of Protestant vs. Catholic, when in reality they operate more under the rule of Baptist vs. Catholic. From many of the statements I read, I can't help but feel like the comments and views of Baptists are being attributed erroneously to all Protestant denominations. The fact is, no "church" denomination, Catholic or otherwise has it all right. I wish all church groups could be more open and accepting of each other. There are certain truths that are not negotiable within the Christian faith. Any and all groups who hold to these, regardless of their differences, should be willing and able to work together.
March 2, 200917 yr Wyro, are you judging? Can you post some quotes where someone from either side is doing so. Besides you.....We have had all kinds of debates on here with out judging. Remember the thread topic. Striker....In my teens there were several cute girls in my area who were Catholic. We would hang out/play ball/ together, but no way they would date the Baptists boys. These girls were very nice people.
March 2, 200917 yr Wyro, are you judging? Can you post some quotes where someone from either side is doing so. Besides you.....We have had all kinds of debates on here with out judging. Remember the thread topic. Striker....In my teens there were several cute girls in my area who were Catholic. We would hang out/play ball/ together, but no way they would date the Baptists boys. These girls were very nice people. I'm not judging anyone. That is God's job.
March 2, 200917 yr Perhaps, you're right. The Catholic view on "Protestant" churches has softened considerably in recent history. Its possible that with more time that will be reciprocated. Additionally, many of these threads run under the guise of Protestant vs. Catholic, when in reality they operate more under the rule of Baptist vs. Catholic. From many of the statements I read, I can't help but feel like the comments and views of Baptists are being attributed erroneously to all Protestant denominations. The fact is, no "church" denomination, Catholic or otherwise has it all right. I wish all church groups could be more open and accepting of each other. There are certain truths that are not negotiable within the Christian faith. Any and all groups who hold to these, regardless of their differences, should be willing and able to work together. 5wide, I'm frankly used to some other denominations not accepting Catholicism. As I've stated before, much of my family is Southern Baptist. I will agree that the strongest aversion to Catholicism seems to come from some denominations such as Baptist & Pentecostal. There are others, but I honestly get confused by which they are. I do notice that Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians and Lutherans in particular seem to have no issue with the Catholic Church whatsoever. I've been Catholic since 1966, and I have yet to sit in a Mass and hear a priest preach specifically against any other denomination.
March 3, 200917 yr I've been Catholic since 1966, and I have yet to sit in a Mass and hear a priest preach specifically against any other denomination. Me neither.
March 3, 200917 yr Wyro...post 103. I'm not judging anyone, Larry. It isn't my place to judge. I am saying that, when groups condemn other groups without valid knowledge of that group, it is judging. After all, it is easier to condemn (judge) someone who doesn't closely follow our beliefs than it is to learn about them. My experiences tell me that this happens frequently and I'll bet your experience is similar. I think all of this misinformation about Catholics and the Virgin Mary is an excellent example of condemning (judging) through ignorance (being uninformed).
March 3, 200917 yr 5wide, I'm frankly used to some other denominations not accepting Catholicism. As I've stated before, much of my family is Southern Baptist. I will agree that the strongest aversion to Catholicism seems to come from some denominations such as Baptist & Pentecostal. There are others, but I honestly get confused by which they are. I do notice that Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians and Lutherans in particular seem to have no issue with the Catholic Church whatsoever. I've been Catholic since 1966, and I have yet to sit in a Mass and hear a priest preach specifically against any other denomination. No need to really. Throughout its history, the church fathers have branded them as heretics and taught that non-Catholic denominations were just as lost as the rest of the world. It was the official stance of the church if anyone cared to check. As stated earlier, the stance has softened in more recent years, but you can't expect to erase centuries in a few decades. I also don't think the pope's recent comment(s) regarding other denominations was a rousing endorsement of non-Catholic Christians, although he did back off or "clarify" (depending on your view) the initial statement after the fact. Let's be realistic here. The two are never, on this side of life, going to agree on everything. But, it would be nice if both sides would take the time to understand the other and clear up a lot of misconceptions. There's more than enough common ground to forge ahead with a relationship of acceptance. Especially considering, as I've stated many times, that they do agree on the essentials of salvation...namely the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It just seemed to me that the direction of this thread, and others I've read, seem to imply two things that I disagree with... 1. Attributing the views of the most anti-Catholic groups (Baptist & Pentecostal as you say) to all groups. It's understandable since there are so many "Protestant" groups with varying beliefs...in reality, its impossible to have a comprehensive Protestant/Catholic debate for that very reason. 2. The idea that Catholics are the innocent victims. There's fault on both sides.
March 3, 200917 yr Yes, 5wide. Ignorance (being uninformed) goes in all directions. However, I must say I was surprised to hear "Amazing Grace" sung in a Catholic Church a month or so ago. I also attended a wedding a couple of years ago at a Christian Church (Campbellites to some) in which "Ava Maria" was played. At least that is a start.
March 3, 200917 yr Yes, 5wide. Ignorance (being uninformed) goes in all directions. However, I must say I was surprised to hear "Amazing Grace" sung in a Catholic Church a month or so ago. I also attended a wedding a couple of years ago at a Christian Church (Campbellites to some) in which "Ava Maria" was played. At least that is a start. I recall hearing "Amazing Grace" quite a lot in church when I was younger. Just with different lyrics. Never knew that the line "that saved a wretch like me" was the more common way of singing it. For years, I only knew it as "that saved and set me free."
March 3, 200917 yr Yes, 5wide. Ignorance (being uninformed) goes in all directions. However, I must say I was surprised to hear "Amazing Grace" sung in a Catholic Church a month or so ago. Its amazing what I learn on here. I'm a lifelong Catholic and never knew there were factions in the Church that believe the song is "heresy."
March 3, 200917 yr I recall hearing "Amazing Grace" quite a lot in church when I was younger. Just with different lyrics. Never knew that the line "that saved a wretch like me" was the more common way of singing it. For years, I only knew it as "that saved and set me free." Never knew some people sang it that way... Interesting. I wonder if there is a more recognizable song in the world.
March 3, 200917 yr Its amazing what I learn on here. I'm a lifelong Catholic and never knew there were factions in the Church that believe the song is "heresy." I had no idea that was the case either. Interestingly, I know of some more modern, post-modern or progressive churches (whatever they're known as) that don't sing hymns and don't believe in singing hymns for various reasons. Some say they have too much theology in them...some don't like the "violence" depicted in them, saying they talk about the blood too much... Personally, I find that quite strange.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.