Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Transfers

Featured Replies

The debate about the Scott Co transfers got off topic so it was closed, so I thought I'd open a thread to broaden the category.

 

How have the transfers at schools around the state helped them this year and where would they be without them?

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are we defining "transfers?" Kids that played at another school before playing at their current school?

  • Author

Kids who played VARSITY basketball before transferring to another school.

Kids who played VARSITY basketball before transferring to another school.

 

Like Housley at Holmes? He seems to be helping big time.

Like Housley at Holmes? He seems to be helping big time.

 

Johnsons too, but Holmes don't make a habbit of it. :thumb:

Johnsons too, but Holmes don't make a habbit of it. :thumb:

 

Thats right, but they left Two Rivers at the end of 7th grade due to family issues, and returned back their sophmore years. They almost came back their freshman years but the circumstances weren't right.

Like Housley at Holmes? He seems to be helping big time.

 

Housley was at Holy Cross, then Newport, and now Holmes where he is contributing nicely.

  • Author

The Johnson's didn't play varsity at Taft from what I heard. Also, I believe they were enrolled at Holmes at the end of their freshman year.

 

Housely was a nice addition though. IMO that was the key piece missing for Holmes to become a legit state title contender.

With respect to Housely, I do not know the circumstances of his transfer from Newport to Holmes, HOWEVER, to add some geographical perspective for those not familiar from northern Kentucky, Newport and Covington straddle the Licking River, and there are many families that find it necessary to move from one to the other. The fact that it may require a school transfer is not generally a motivating factor.

 

I am sure every transfer has its own story, but I honestly see a difference between transfers like Housely (whose family name is much more closely associated with Covington than Newport) and the Johnsons (whose families are Covington families) than the situation where parents of exceptional athletes relocate for employment purposes and "happen" to wind up in a school district with a strong basketball team. I know there's no way to police it, and I don't think its fair to punish kids because their parents are forced to relocate, but I think it smells bad when families with no connection to a school district wind up relocating there at the moment an athletic program is at its zenith.

Tate Cox to Knott County has made them a legit contender for the 14th region title.

The Johnson's didn't play varsity at Taft from what I heard. Also, I believe they were enrolled at Holmes at the end of their freshman year.

 

Housely was a nice addition though. IMO that was the key piece missing for Holmes to become a legit state title contender.

 

RIco started for taft freshman year and Jj played a little bit of jv.

Housley, thats who I was trying to think of in the other thread Eta, not Riley. About every top team in the state has at least one transfer.

I must admit that I find these type of threads perplexing. Since several people posting in these threads are the same as those blasting Elliott County for playing business as usual schedule, but playing with business as usual students, but maybe its just me.

Like most student-athletes, you will have Transfers of differing abilities. New incoming students, who choose to play athletics are welcome at any school.

 

If a new player helps his/her program, than it's a plus.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.