Garrard County vs Lincoln County (1/09)

History first...

-Lincoln County leads the all-time series with Garrard County, 48-18.

-Lincoln County leads the all-time series in Stanford, 24-6.

-Lincoln County has won seven consecutive meetings with the Lions spanning the last three years.

Now for the game...

-This Garrard County team is solid; I'm not sure yet if they are a regional contender. Friday night won't prove that they aren't, but it might prove if they are.

-For Garrard County to win against Lincoln (or any regional contender) there are four key things that must happen:

1. Stay out of foul trouble.

Coach DeForest has been doing a good job of developing his bench and several players are starting to see more action. But beyond a couple kids, there isn't a great deal of depth or experience on the pine. Because of that, fouls can become huge.

2. Rebound the ball.

Garrard has decent size (everyone seems to be between 6'1 and 6'3), but how can they rebound against a big team. Lincoln isn't huge, but Spurlin plays big on the low block. If Garrard can hold their own on the glass, they can be competitive.

3. Shoot the ball well.

This is an obvious statement, but it's true. Garrard's best shooter is Tyler Woods and he's capable of getting 25 every night. But what about the other guys? Can they get 10 from Preston, Hensley or Prather? Could Hayes put in 8? They can't if they don't shoot well.

4. Remember that Justin Ray is the straw that stirs the drink.

When this team absolutely needs a bucket, a rebound, a steal, or simply to calm down, Justin Ray needs the ball. He doesn't get a great deal of press, but he's an outstanding player. He's not flashy, but solid. And when the ball is in his hands he makes all of his teammates better.

I am looking forward to this game. Garrard is off to an outstanding start, but really don't have a win to hang their hat on. I think they will be ready for Lincoln, knowing they have a good shot to be the Pats.

Lincoln has been up and down, but they seemed to play their best ball at home, especially against 12th region teams. It seems as most believe Garrard is suddenly the team to beat in the 45th, my opinion obviously differs. This is a big game for both teams, defending home court is going to be crucial this year.

The most difficult thing about Garrard is preparing for their offense. It will put you to sleep at times, DeForest does a good job teaching discipline and passing.

I don't think Garrard has an answer for Spurlin. On the other hand, I don't know if LC is patient enough to defend Garrard. We will find out tonight.