Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands Baseball

Featured Replies

  • Author
That's a pretty unfair remark. And totally untrue--at least, in nearly all cases.

 

I was a little worked up over the weight room deal and might have said it while upset. My bad.

  • Replies 211
  • Views 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was a little worked up over the weight room deal and might have said it while upset. My bad.
:thumb:
Is this the first year that the baseball team has lifted? I know the 6-8th graders have had the 60 minute club for years so I'm wondering why it hasn't been an issue in the past.

 

The previous coaching staff never did.

Are you talking Spring Break again? :laugh:

 

Seriously, SR. Jake Turner should also be in the mix for mound duties this year. Since his services to hoops were no longer needed, pre-season training should help him be ready right out of the gate!

 

Are you sure he's playing?

Can't be Title IX because there is no girls frosh softball league in NKY...It has to do with people making up excuses not to have one. If the powers to be wanted a boys frosh team there would be one...PERIOD!!!:thumb:

 

There has to be some kind of rule to it. All but three players on the JV team last year were froshman. They need a froshman team.

Maybe the coaches from years ago didn't care enough to get the team ready. Hense the reason we have a new coach. A coach that wants the best for his team.

 

Coach Johnson and staff, previous coaches, cared more about Highland's baseball than anyone. There is another reason.

There has to be some kind of rule to it. All but three players on the JV team last year were froshman. They need a froshman team.

 

IMO, this just needs to happen. While eighth graders can tryout for the high school JV team, last spring there wasn't a single District 22 Knothole A Division team (the division that most 8th graders would play in). This effectively meant that 8th graders who didn't make the JV team had NO baseball team to play on. I'm sure there were instances of kids who found teams from other districts or other youth leagues to play on, but they shouldn't have to do that.

 

As someone mentioned earlier, keeping more Ft. Thomas kids playing baseball will be important to the improvement of the high school program, and having a freshman team available to 8th graders and freshmen would go a long ways towards making that happen. Myself alone, I know of 2 or 3 very athletic 7th graders who are thinking of droping baseball this year. I believe that if they knew it was possible they could be playing for a Highlands team in just another year as 8th graders, they would be more inclined to continue playing.

Curious to know who are the powers that don't want a frosh team and what their reasons are?

 

You tell me...There is 0 reason not to have a frosh baseball team. I have talked to coaches at other schools about this and they just laugh. I think it makes the school and administration look ridiculous...

This may be way off base; but has anyone thought about starting something similar to the FTJFL for baseball? I know field availability is a big issue around here; but as effective as the FTJFL model has been for our football program, maybe it would work just as well for baseball.

It has more to do, as bronc stated, that both sexes are given equal opportunhities numbers-wise to compete in sports at their schools. The sports don't have to match up vis-a-vis.

 

How is that determined?

How is that determined?

 

I believe % participation by boys & girls has to be the same +/- some amount. It applies to facilities & equipment as well. I know the state goes as far as to measure locker room sizes. I heard that one local school was fined because the BRAND NEW ,first-class girls locker room was slightly smaller than the grungy, old rat hole of a boys locker room.

You tell me...There is 0 reason not to have a frosh baseball team. I have talked to coaches at other schools about this and they just laugh. I think it makes the school and administration look ridiculous...

 

I don't know so I can't tell you. Then again, I wasn't the one making the allegations; you were.

I don't know so I can't tell you. Then again, I wasn't the one making the allegations; you were.

 

Raiderbird is correct. It's just a matter of adding games so some players who don't get playing time on JV can get some PT. It wouldn't really effect numbers so wouldn't effect Title IX. If a majority of NK schools can do it (including some DIII schools), then I think HHS should be able to pull it off. Just a matter of getting it done but probably not this year because it maybe too late.

I believe % participation by boys & girls has to be the same +/- some amount. .

 

You have 100 boys and 100 girls in your high school. 30 girls play sports while the other 70 participate in band and drama. The school does not have very good girls' sports teams so participation is lower than they had hoped.

 

I can't imagine that the boys are limited to 30 or so in order to not violate Title IX. There has to be more to it than that.

You have 100 boys and 100 girls in your high school. 30 girls play sports while the other 70 participate in band and drama. The school does not have very good girls' sports teams so participation is lower than they had hoped.

 

I can't imagine that the boys are limited to 30 or so in order to not violate Title IX. There has to be more to it than that.

 

Just google Title IX and you learn all you want to know, and some you don't want to know, about Title IX my friend.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.