Why do teams kick/punt the football to Austin Collinsworth?

theguru

I don't understand why teams keep kicking/punting the ball to Austin?

Is it arrogance? Lack of scouting? Players that can't kick the ball where they want? Incompetence?

Anyone?

Probably this one.

If they do it twice then it is lack of control by the kicker, probably.

Is it arrogance? Lack of scouting? Players that can't kick the ball where they want? Incompetence?

Anyone?

For those of us not getting the stats from up north in the paper, what are some of his return stats this year?

Anyone?

I have only seen HHS a two or three times in the last two years, so I might be wrong about this, but it seems like on KOR they are always setting up or at least hinting at a reverse on KOR. Even if you kick away from him, isn't their always the possibilty that he could still easily be returning the kick?

Anyone?

I think depending on the team it could be any or all of the above. Most coaches will respect a player like him and not want to give him the chance to hurt their team with a big return.

Generally I would think that it would be lack of the ability to kick the ball where you want to, and maybe a bit of gambling, in that they figure that their team can cover the kick better than the last victim.

I remember my playing days our coach would refuse to kick away from any returner. It bit us in the butt quite a few times. He used to say we gotta have pride in our ST. I agree but there is pride and there is giving your team the best chance to win by making good decisions lol.

I think alot of it is arrogance. In any case, not just Collinsworth. If a team has a very good kick returner the opposing team wont respect it. Because it sends a message to your team that were not good enough to stop this guy, so we will take the penalty instead of proving that our team is good enough to stop him. As far as punting though, I just think that High School punters arent good enough to be able to pinpoint the football away from the returner.

you would probably have to see him play to understand how good he truly is.....he's a true shut down corner if I've ever seen one.......he plays both sides of the ball and special teams as good as any high school athelete I've ever seen.....and he's only a junior!:D

I noticed according to these stats that only 1 kick punt & kickoff has been returned for a touchdown. Not really understanding the hype or question of why or why not to kick it to him. Not real impressed with the stats that everyone is discussing. :thumb:

First off I don't believe those are his total return stats???This past game he had a punt return for a td, a kickoff return for a td, an interception return for a td, and a recieving td..The kid is a stud and is only going to get better.. :D:D